Old 12-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #31  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Height: 5'6"

I would have to put cottage cheese at the top of my list - no matter how much I try to like it I just can't eat it. It even looks questionable ...
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:08 AM   #32  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Jenny Craig & Nutrisystem meals
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #33  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenA View Post
I would have to put cottage cheese at the top of my list - no matter how much I try to like it I just can't eat it. It even looks questionable ...
I am so turned off by the "look" of it, that it's never even passed my lips.

Quote:
Jenny Craig & Nutrisystem meals
Agreed. And I know they work for tons of folks, but *for me*, those Lean Cuisine frozen meals as well.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:14 AM   #34  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

A few more of mine... mostly stuff that was "legal" on WW in the seventies:

Melba toast
Ak-mak crackers
Sweet 'n Lo

This smoothie recipe:

1 cup skim milk
1 banana
1 package of Sweet n Lo
6 ice cubes
1 tsp vanilla extract

thin milk, tiny ice cube chunks, artificial sweetner, and banana.... YUCK.

And to think I could have just eaten a banana and drunk a glass of milk, LOL.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #35  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Agreed. And I know they work for tons of folks, but *for me*, those Lean Cuisine frozen meals as well.
I never actually tried Lean Cuisines but I did Jenny Craig for a year and after that, I never wanted to eat another frozen meal and I don't think I have. I did try Nutrisystem for a month and it was horrid.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #36  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

TAB cola. First, I had contempt for the girls at college who drank it. Then I tried it. Somehow my taste buds adjusted. For a while there, I drank this stuff all the time, particularly while trying to stay awake to study.

Unflavored, salt-free white breadsticks. Without sesame seeds or carraway seeds or anything to relieve the blandness & monotony. So yeah, they're phallic, which can be fun, but they look industrially extruded rather than like anything that is a near cousin to bread. They are a pointless food that ought to be broken up for packing material.

Nearly anything that's sequestered on the shelves in the diet foods section of grocery stores, away from the "normal" food. When I pass these sections, I get flashbacks to the dieting habits of my mother & her coffee klatsch in the late 60s-early 70s. Back when one of them ate nothing but cottage cheese, canned pineapple & zwieback biscuits. When they talked about having their jaws wired shut. (Someone knew someone who had done this.) When they did jumping jacks with Jack LaLanne on the TV in the morning. The sight of a Sweet n' Lo packet with musical notes across the front also takes me back to that time. Particularly to the carafe of liquid Sweet n' Lo sometimes put out by hostesses with the coffee.

Last edited by saef; 12-22-2009 at 10:25 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #37  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickybird View Post
The Oikos (sp?) yogurt killed my stomach for about 3 days, although I liked the taste. I'm with Mandalinn on the noodles!
I once made tuna spaghetti, thinking it would be nice and low fat. Think of the nice hot chunks of tuna, the tart tomato sauce...no wait, that was me barfing, because that cr@p was nasty!!!!
LOL, that reminds me of something my dad used to make for us when we were kids. Hunts tomato sauce. Spaghetti noodles. Summer Sausage. No wonder I didn't like spaghetti for the longest time.

Last edited by rakel; 12-22-2009 at 10:31 AM.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #38  
Meg

Ubergirl, it sounds like you and I both did WW at the same time in the 70s. Remember mock ketchup made from boiling tomato juice?? I still love one of those old WW recipes, though -- the one made of cottage cheese, pineapple chunks, and SF pistachio pudding mix.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #39  
is recommitted

Wow, lots of cottage cheese haters. Personally, I love cottage cheese, but not with fruit. My mom used to try and get me to eat it with pineapple or peaches. No thank you. Give me some salt, pepper and chives please!
Old 12-22-2009, 10:48 AM   #40  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Ubergirl, it sounds like you and I both did WW at the same time in the 70s. Remember mock ketchup made from boiling tomato juice?? I still love one of those old WW recipes, though -- the one made of cottage cheese, pineapple chunks, and SF pistachio pudding mix.
Oh dear. I don't think I ever made mock ketchup. Thank god!

I didn't like cottage cheese as a kid, so thank god, that food was never ruined for me.

But I do LOATHE Sweet n Lo. Very many unhappy memories associated with that little pink poison packet.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #41  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Hey I wanted to throw in here:

I LIKE THE SHIRATAKE NOODLES! If you have never tried them, please do! They are only 40 calories a bag! In fact, I am doing some experimenting with them now to make dessert dishes! LOL!

Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM   #42  
is recommitted

What I don't understand about mock ketchup, is that real ketchup only has like 15 calories a serving. Honestly, you can't get much better than that for a sauce, I mean, right??? Maybe mustard.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM   #43  
Meg

I know, isn't that silly? WW was really anti-sugar back in the 70s and didn't permit anything with sugar, regardless of calorie content. Hence boiling tomato juice with those nasty pink packets to make pretend ketchup. Bleech. Back then, WW was a very limited diet plan and hard to stick to in every day life.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:13 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I tried HARD for a week to like cottage cheese. I can eat it in small doses...a spoonful here and there. But 1/2 cup or anything as a snack...no go, no matter what I put in it...

Seems I'm in the minority too. I don't mind the fat free dressings or cheeses OR yogurts...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #45  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

I know others love this stuff but I cannot abide Spaghetti Squash. I've tried it a couple of times a couple of different ways and it just is not good, no way no how. I suspect it's the texture which is weird because I do like squash in general.

I am in the minority but I do like cottage cheese, low-fat, straight up. Probably because I like cheese! I do not do low-fat in general. If the lower-fat version tastes yucky (like regular cheese, sour cream, evaporated milk) I will not eat it. But I do like skim milk (always have) and regular butter.

I do remember the "diet plates" of the 70s & 80s--yuck! And I did drink Tab too.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote