Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

Default Very Interesting

SO, I don't know how many of you read fitness magazine, but I picked it up as a reward for stayin on track with my excersize last week. There is a short blurb about how new research shows that women who have a SLIGHTLY overweight BMI are lass likely to die fo any cause in the next 12 years than obese and ideal weight women. Hmmm.... The point of the artice is to not stress about hte last 10 lbs. I'm sure you can find it on their website.

P.S. Also interesting is my -5.4 loss for the week. Especially given that over the course of the week I ate almost 1/2 my son's birthday cake...I guess those Jillian Michaels tapes are paying off.
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:49 AM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by medinazarley View Post

P.S. Also interesting is my -5.4 loss for the week. Especially given that over the course of the week I ate almost 1/2 my son's birthday cake...I guess those Jillian Michaels tapes are paying off.
It's hard to tell from your stats, but I'm assuming (though I could be 100% wrong) that last week was your first or second week or so instituting a weight loss plan - if so, that could explain having your cake, eating it too and that nice loss! Nice loss and all, I'm not exactly sure that's the strategy you'd want to continue with. Also you don't necessarily do something *bad* or *good* and then see the results immediately thereafter.

And yes exercise is fantastic and vital, but *they* do say that weight loss is 80% food/20% exercise, so it's super important to get that food plan tight.

Wishing you continued success!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 267/ticker/145

Height: 5'9"

I don't normally nosh on cake all week, but on my son's birthday I baked a cake, and the left overs were too hard to resist. The cake for his actual party I left at my mother's because i don't need the temptation. i don't buy chocolate or cookies, and i only bake for specific special occasions. I am lucky i had a loss with the cake, but i really think it had alot to do with my excersize. I don't care what "they" say, in my experience it's 50/50.
medinazarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I haven't been stressing over the last of my pounds I need to lose and while it's nice to have a magazine try to get that point across I've learned not to listen to the media about my health
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I've seen that statistic, and it is somewhat misleading. The analysis I've seen is NOT that it is healthier to be overweight, it's that people who are going to die soon of age-related causes, tend to be underweight.

Makes sense... elderly people often become frail before they die.

Health and fitness magazines love to collect up statistics for their magazines... they have to fill the pages after all. But most of these studies don't make any sense unless they are taken in context.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:27 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by medinazarley View Post
I don't normally nosh on cake all week, but on my son's birthday I baked a cake, and the left overs were too hard to resist. The cake for his actual party I left at my mother's because i don't need the temptation. i don't buy chocolate or cookies, and i only bake for specific special occasions. I am lucky i had a loss with the cake, but i really think it had alot to do with my excersize. I don't care what "they" say, in my experience it's 50/50.

I started baking cupcakes for my family's birthdays. I make just enough so each person has one. I then freeze the batter. This way there's no leftovers.

I've also thrown away cake (or other tempting foods that have found their way into my house). I've found it to be much LESS wasteful to throw it away then to eat it myself.

And about those percentages, it WILL differ for everyone.

Keep up the great work!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote