3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I registered for a half-marathon! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/188007-i-registered-half-marathon.html)

LitChick 12-12-2009 03:00 PM

I registered for a half-marathon!

Ack! I'm feeling a combination of excitement and fear about this challenge I have set myself ... to participate in a half-marathon taking place at the end of March. I will be doing it with a friend of mine and we plan to do a combination of walking and jogging. I have a training program that I will begin this week.

I would never have imagined that I would be even contemplating doing this six months ago. I feel very empowered and proud of my body - even at the weight I'm still at, even with its flaws and weaknesses - knowing that I am capable of doing this.

I am currently at the lowest weight I have been in more than 10 years and have never felt this physically fit. This is the longest I have stuck to a eating plan without going back to old habits. I think the fact that I have become more physically active and have begun setting non-weight goals for myself are the key to my progress. It's not just about looking good; it's about feeling good, too. I just wish it hadn't taken me 36 years to figure that out!

Aclai4067 12-12-2009 03:16 PM

Congrats! I'm proud of you for this commitment. A half-marathon is awesome. Please make sure you check in with us and let us know how the training is going and how the final race goes!

mkroyer 12-12-2009 03:35 PM

LitChik--- please feel free to join us over on the Running thread in the exercise forum!! We talk about our runs, training, goals, set backs, and there are alot of experienced chics over there to help out if you have questions along the way!!
CONGRATS on the hal marathon! You are going to have a BLAST!!

ubergirl 12-12-2009 04:48 PM

That's fantastic. Good for you!

mortonpixie 12-12-2009 05:01 PM

That's awesome! The first one I participated in had about 6000 participants. It's an experience you will never forget. The people cheering you on on the sidelines, the others at your pace right there with you...it's SO COOL!! My goal is to walk ours here in May - don't think I'll be ready to run again quite yet :)

LizR 12-13-2009 08:47 AM

Wow!! I am just starting to exercise and you are an inspiration to me. Good luck in March!

TJFitnessDiva 12-13-2009 09:46 AM

Good luck!! :)

Judy Lynn 12-13-2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

It's not just about looking good; it's about feeling good, too.
Absolutely!

This is just such a fantastic post. Your confidence just shines through. I know you are going to do fantastic. From what I have read the walking/running intervals are the easiest on the body. Keep us updated on the training.

JustBeckyV 12-13-2009 11:43 AM

That is awesome!! I so want to be able to do this some day too! Let us know how you are doing!

LitChick 12-13-2009 10:35 PM

Thanks, everyone, for the support and encouragement! :hug: I will keep you posted!

mkroyer, thanks for the invite to the Running thread - I will have to check it out, I'm sure I'll learn a thing or two!

Nit2loseit 12-14-2009 12:39 AM

That's GREAT!!!! Good luck! :)

momof5k 12-14-2009 01:32 AM

that is awesome!! I hope someday to be as brave :) Right now i am just trying to work up the nerve to register for a half marathon 2 person relay.

medinazarley 12-14-2009 09:15 AM

Good for you on your commitment! when I decided to stick with my weight loss this time around, I decided to run in races. My HM is in May, and 5K in feb. Good luck to you, keep us posted, and def check out the running forum, those ladies are great!

Nada 12-14-2009 10:54 AM

Good for you. There's nothing like plunking down some money on a race to get you in gear. I did the same thing about a year ago and finished my half marathon in April. (Be sure to get one of those 13.1 magnets to slap on your car as soon as you can after the race.)

LitChick 12-15-2009 10:23 PM

Thanks, guys! It's great to see other runners in here! Go us! :carrot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nada (Post 3046782)
(Be sure to get one of those 13.1 magnets to slap on your car as soon as you can after the race.)

Funny you should mention that (and I will be taking your advice!) since it's only been since I started running that I noticed all these 'runner girl' and '26.1' stickers on the backs of cars as I'm driving around. I guess they were always there and I just never knew what they meant. Now when I see them, I am in awe - especially those 26.1s!