magazines

• What magazines do you all like that have to do with eating healthy and light and also fitness? I don't want one that shows people who have perfect bodies and act like we all should look like professional body builders... but my cousin just got me a copy of Cooking Light for my birthday, and I am enjoying looking at it, but before I subscribe to it I would love to look at a few others, I can only afford a few magazine subscriptions as our money is usually tight.
  • I usually read (infrequently) Runner's World and BBC Good Food.
  • how about Weight Watchers? I like cooking light too. But, I don't buy too many magazines. I check them out at the library. I do subscribe to a few, but they just pile up too quickly.
  • I had a subscription to cooking light. I loved it and would read it before any of my other magazines. I always felt obligated to keep it, and I had a large pile of cooking lights hanging around my kitchen. SO.... I bought a binder and some page protectors, ripped out the pages I wanted, and now I have a nice cooking light "cookbook". The thing about cooking light, not all of the recipes are healthy... just healthier than the originals.

I used to get SELF, but I am not renewing my subscription. It seems to always be the same stuff and I was appalled by the Kelly Clarkson photo retouching fiasco. I mean, here is a magazine that says women are beautiful, and try to be physically inclined, but even the editor admitted to retouching her photo after running a full marathon because she "didn't like her hips." It made me sad.
  • ha.. aren't all mag photos retouched?

I did notice some of the recipes were either unreal for normal people to cook or really not "light" at all...but there were a few I liked, I'm still not through it all, and am still not sure if I'm loving it enough to buy it or not.

I love Taste of Home mag. I have gotten that one for years, but would love one that kept my brain thinking about eating right so I don't screw up and make some of the yummy things that are in TOH..lol
  • Cooking Light IS a good one!

I like Vegetarian Times. Clean Eating is very good. I get Fitness and Shape, thought don't love them. Women's Health is decent if I recall correctly, though I haven't seen it in a bit.

I get Weight Watchers, but I will not renew. There desserts are insane. Irks me.
  • As for fitness magazines, I don't think you will find many/any without pictures of those with perfect bodies.

Things I have liked in the past looking at are:
    Shape
    Oxygen
    FitnessRx for Women

I think Oxygen is probably the one I'd recommend for you but again with the understanding that you will see some perfect bodies and I'm not talking about 'perfect' in form of super retouched.

The only magazine I subscribe to though is Vegetarian Times and I like it a lot.
  • I don't mind *some* perfect bodies, but like hubby has a few copies of some guys muscle one and it acts like everyone in the world should drink a dozen raw eggs a day and down a gallon of protien drinks, every guy in there looks like he had muscle implants and it seems to give no thought to the guy just starting out or doesn't want to be the strong man at the circus. I just want to feel like the mag is written for *normal* people, if that makes sense.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming, I will look at them at the store and maybe pick a few up as I can and see if I *need* them.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far!
  • I get Fitness (it was free for buying the 30 day shred), Weight Watchers and Self
  • Quote: I don't mind *some* perfect bodies, but like hubby has a few copies of some guys muscle one and it acts like everyone in the world should drink a dozen raw eggs a day and down a gallon of protien drinks, every guy in there looks like he had muscle implants and it seems to give no thought to the guy just starting out or doesn't want to be the strong man at the circus. I just want to feel like the mag is written for *normal* people, if that makes sense.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming, I will look at them at the store and maybe pick a few up as I can and see if I *need* them.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far!
    I don't think any of the women's magazines are like that but you also have to be able to filter through the advertisements and the real articles. Fitness Rx for Women was pretty good when I bought it but I had to realize every other page was an ad so of course it'd say 'you need to take this'. The only implants you'll see are breast implants.

Most of the women's magazines have a lot of fluff anyway, so it is hard for me to read magazines on a regular basis. I know Oxygen has received a lot of praise though from a lot of people.
  • I get Fitness, Shape, Women's Health and a couple of diabetic ones. My favorite of the ones I get is Women's Health. I have looked at Oxygen a couple times in the store, but not bought it yet. I might give it a try. I had never heard of this Fitness Rx, but since a couple people have mentioned it, I'll have to look for it and see.
  • trail (uk) its a hiking mag with routes and gear reviews etc.

have gone through runners world on occasion.

now i don't get any really i find after a while they just recycled the same old stuff with different photo's.
  • I don't care for magazines in general, but of them all Men's Health isn't bad. I just either look at it at work or sign it out (I work in a library) for DH. Strangely I don't like Women's Health at all.