Old 10-24-2009, 11:39 AM   #1  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Default How Can I Stay On Track On Holiday?

We are going away in our motorhome tomorrow for 5 days and after doing so well over the last 3 months with my weight loss I'm really scared I'm going to blow it this next few days.
As we're in our motorhome we will be preparing our own meals mainly, so that is planned for and doesn't worry me too much. The thing is DH and DD always like to have snacks between meals like sweets and choc etc, and on a night when we go a watch the entertainment on the site I usually drink wine. On top of all this I'm not going to be able to go to the gym obviously while we're away.
I'm hoping to get some swimming, walking and dancing in each day which although it won't match the gym workouts will be something, and I'm planning on only having a couple of glasses of wine a couple of nights maybe.
The thing is although I have all these plans in place I know what I'm like. I'm really worried I'm going to get on holiday tomorrow and either be miserable because DH and DD are having lots of treats, or decide that I'm on holiday like I always have before, and go completely off the rails for 5 days.
I just don't know what to do for the best, I don't want to feel miserable and deprived all week, and I don't want to blow it and then hate myself when we come home.
Any ideas please?
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I just don't know what to do for the best, I don't want to feel miserable and deprived all week, and I don't want to blow it and then hate myself when we come home.
I know for me, I got to the point where I felt miserable and deprived by remaining fat and eating those foods. The year I was losing, nothing mattered to me more then losing the weight. NOTHING. So for me, the decision was simple and quite clear. I wanted the weight off - period. I looked at it as a life and death matter and the only treat that I wanted, was the treat of less worries, more joy and self respect and confidence and better health - both physical and mental. For me, I wouldn't have been willing to "eat off plan" and delay my weight loss by who knows how many weeks or months.

There are healthy "treats" that won't derail your weight loss program, and that is what *I* would do, in fact that WAS what I did when faced with similar situations during my weight loss portion of my journey.

It is a personal decision, one in which we all have to decide for ourselves.

Think and decide what it is you want the very most and hopefully your decision will become clearer to you. Either way, do enjoy!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:11 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Would it be possible to get them on board a bit? Maybe have healthier treats available for them and for you?

For me, my husband is on a tortilla chip and salsa kick so we have to have tortilla chips and salsa in the house. He actually asked me if I felt ok with that. If I said it was too tempting for me, then he would understand and eat the other snacks we have available.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

What is a special treat for YOU? Allow yourself something that works with your plan. Measure out the portions ahead of time so you eat exactly what you planned to eat. Write it out if you have to and then your holding yourself accountable.

I also agree with talking to your family and asking them how they feel they might be able to support you. I'm always surprised at how much my guys are willing to do for me. The chips and popcorn they love are not really appealing to me but baked goods are so in the beginning my family did not bring that stuff into the house. Now, it doesn't bother me so they can bring it into the house. Remember you're not asking them to give up snacking forever but maybe for this short period of time they would be willing to give up one of your trigger foods?

I keep my special snacks in a basket in the pantry. It's the only place I go looking so I don't even see their stuff. Maybe that would be a help to you if you don't want to ask them to give anything up?

I think you're already on top of this by thinking ahead. You know your weaknesses and if you come up with a good plan you will succeed!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

When we went away (camping for 2.5 weeks) I made sure we did a lot of walking everyday and drank a lot of water. I increased my calories a little but still tried to keep under maintainance level. I ate plenty of salad with everything and fruit and didn't deprive myself of any "treats" but just had smaller portions of them. I did eat icecream most day but was very careful to not eat too much. I put on 1lb while away but lost 4lb over the 5 days after returnign so was obviously mainly water weight and I must of continued to lose weight while away and my weight loss was slowing before I went away but has sped up again since we got back so what I did worked well

You can do it - no need to deprive yourself of every treat - I dont' tend to drink alcohol so that probably helped too. Just be careful not to have too much of the snacks everyone else is having and stay as active as possible.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

I'm not against alcohol but it lowers your resistance to eating the wrong things. And I know that in my family having a good time was inexorably tied up with eating. And it sounds like overeating and eating all the "bad" things are part of your motor home adventure. It's like paying for an ocean cruise and not expecting to indulge. I think for myself as a food addict that I will never permanently be able to put food in the place where it belongs; just a part of my life and not the reason for my life. But, I do have the ability to use my conscious reasoning to make a choice. Having to make that choice so often is very trying and I'd like to say the **** with it. So, I have to want being a normal weight more than I want the food. It's so easy to lose sight of that and all it takes is a temporary change of lifestyle, like your RV trip, or a party, or a lot of stress, and poof, it's gone, that resolve. To help keep my determination I have to have everything around me in sync with my goals. So, I think you need to sit down with your family and tell them how much you need their help and support. You will be surprised.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:43 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

First, for you to make it though this holiday unscathed, I think you need to practice what your screen name implies...Love yourself.

Looking at your ticker, I see you have lost nearly 30 pounds so far. That is just incredible. Don't you feel wonderful about that? Doesn't it make you feel powerful, sexy, confident? I would think going on a trip now after shedding those excess pounds should be a thrill of a life time. I remember our first family trip after I had lost a nice chunk of weight. I just felt great. I didn't want to go off plan because I felt like I was beautiful. For the first time in years I felt in control. I didn't want to lose that feeling, and I got back thinner than when I left.

Please make sure you plan for this trip. Take PLENTY of snacks for yourself. Cauliflower, carrots, apples, yogurt, (those are my favorites for road trips). Go into this vacation celebrating your success, not dreading it. You will be fine. If a person is truly dedicated and committed to their health, you could sit them in the middle of the worlds largest buffet and they would stay on plan...keep focused and fight for this!

Last edited by Lori Bell; 10-24-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just wanted to add, I totally understand that you'd be a bit unsettled shall we say about how this is going to go down.

In the past all of my trips and outings were very much centered on food. Unfortunately, there was little else I enjoyed about trips and such.

Anyway, once you see that you can get past holidays, birthdays, stress, trips, vacations, what have you, perfectly on plan, AND enjoy yourself thoroughly, you will be relieved. You will see that it's a doable thing and you will no longer have doubts that you can actually do it. And make no mistake about it, you CAN do this. You've got an advantage this time that you are taking your own foods with you. Plan ahead. Map out what you will be eating. Food journal. Take a kigillion on plan snacks with you, keep focused on your long term goals and rest assured you will be just fine.

And then you'll get through it and have this one time under your belt. You'll have the confidence that you can get through anything!! VERY empowering!

You'll be establishing a new normal for you. Learning how to live like a health-minded person - no matter what. The requirements don't change, just because the circumstances do. I'm excited for you. Stretch yourself. Reach. Challenge yourself. Master something new. GROW. Discover what you're capable of. Amaze yourself!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 10-24-2009 at 04:23 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #9  

Height: 5' 6

When I go on vacation I try to focus more on maintaining than losing. I think you have to plan plan plan. Buy yourself some special treats that are healthy, or buy some foods you've really been wanting to try. That way, the stuff you bring is exciting to you and you won't want to eat what your DH/DD are having. Also, you could try packing treats for your DD/DH that they really like, but you don't.
Keep drinking water like crazy, and move every chance you get!
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:45 AM   #10  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks so much for the replies and wonderful advice girls, I really appreciate it.
Lori Bell and Rockinrobin, you two have put my worries and thoughts into words so perfectly. I do feel great at the moment and really want to continue with this and celebrate my successes, it's just holidays in the past have always signalled major food eating and it's another very bad habit that I haven't yet been able to change.
I did sit down with DH and DD last night and explained to them how I feel. I asked them for support this next few days and they both said they would help, but unfortunately I saw the rolled eyes from DH which signals that he thinks I'm going to be a party pooper by not joining in the eating fest.
I guess I'm just going to have to rely on myself like I have done the last 3 months and concentrate on "loving me".
I will report in when we get back, hopefully with good news.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote