Old 10-24-2009, 09:26 PM   #1  

Default I just lost 6 lbs on the "flu" diet

I really don't recommend it. It was the worst week of my life. I don't know what kind of flu that was, but I've never had a fever for so long before. It was horrible. I got sick on Sunday and I still feel fairly bad. I have three kids. I can't afford to be immobile for that long.

There was one thing that has come out of it. My pants are looser. Not the way that I wanted to lose weight. I've also been trying to cut out the sugar. Being sick this week helped me quit sugar. I'm going to keep it out now. So, maybe I needed the flu to kick my butt and tell me to eat better. It didn't have to tell me so hard.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Glad you are feeling better. The news was saying the other day that 95% of the "flus" right now are H1N1 virus. Two people I work with have had it and both said they have never been quite so miserable before. I REFUSE to get it...hopefully it will obey me .
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I was talking to a person from our health authority this week and she said that EVERY SINGLE CASE OF THE FLU so far has been H1N1. Every single one!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197.5/196.5/150

Height: 5'4"

Default worried about the kids and flu

I just had an illness-assisted weight loss too, but luckily not the flu! Now, the question is, can I manage to keep any of it off?
Wendy, be really careful with your kids and this flu because it's hitting the kids the hardest! I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to scare you, but in a city nearby, a little girl went from perfectly healthy, to having the flu, and then died, in only about 3 days!
You might want to check with their Dr if you haven't already.
Really not meaning to be alarmist, but this flu is scaring the daylights out of me!
wicketbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 206/141/139

Height: 5'9

This flu is scaring me too and we can't seem to get the vaccine here in Maine. They are scheduled to give it on Nov 4th at one of my kids schools and Nov 9th at the other but that is only if they have enough in stock.

I am not sure if I should get either, I have egg allergies, not severe but still...oh and I also have asthma which flares with flu/colds and allergies.
lauralyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #6  

I lost 15lbs myself with the flu diet, and I had a fairly mild case of H1N1

the flu itself wasn't too bad - but the lung issues afterward almost sent me to the hospital
dakotamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/160

Height: 5 ft 3ish

Oh no! I'm so glad you are feeling better. h1n1 is hitting hard down here as well.
I'm feeling sick now, but I'm fairly certain it's just a cold. My little girl has been running a fever for the past few days, but I have just been dosing her with motrin and tylenol the past few days because the doctor said if it's just a fever and nothing else it's safer for her to just stay home than go to the pedi's office since they are seeing sooo many cases! Crazy!
HeaterAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:58 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

Oh dear Glad your'e feeling better! I lost 5lb on the flu diet (H1N1) a few months ago. Take care of yoruself - you need to build your strength back up after such a bad dose of flu.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:13 PM   #9  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default Me, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamidnight View Post
I lost 15lbs myself with the flu diet, and I had a fairly mild case of H1N1

the flu itself wasn't too bad - but the lung issues afterward almost sent me to the hospital
I hear that! I just went through the five days of taking Tamiflu and my fever is gone but WHAT A COUGH! I swear I'm coughing so hard and so loud I'm waking up babies in China!

My husband kept scaring me by reading all the H1N1 statistics but I am truly on the mend. I've heard that flu patients need to be careful regarding secondary infections. I've had pneumonia many times and have battled chronic bronchitis for a while now.

Here's to good health and better days for us all! (I just drank to everyone's health with my cup of lo-cal cranberry juice!)

Hugs to the sickies!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #10  

Thanks for the concerns. My kids had it before me, but thankfully it was way more mild for them. They are rarely ever sick. They have much better immune systems than I have.

I felt so much better today, but I can tell that the tiredness is going to stick around a little while longer.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:35 PM   #11  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Glad you are feeling better
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:05 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 245/245/220 (10%)

Height: 5'7"

Lots of H1N1 around here, too, but it sounds like they are pretty short on vaccines here. Lots of regular flus as well, and those can be nasty, too. The main thing I keep hearing is "wash your hands" : when you use a shopping cart, if you use machines or weights at the gym, anytime you touch things that lots of other people touch during a day.

Hope everyone who is feeling miserable now gets better quickly.
DarkAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 288/284/150

Height: 5'8"

I just lost 12 lbs on this lovely diet.. Luckily the kids didn't get hit as hard as I did, but it was terrible, and now the hubby has it. The lung issues afterward are a definite problem, i'm still out of breath if I do almost anything, and coughing so much.
DeeinVaBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeinVaBeach View Post
I just lost 12 lbs on this lovely diet.. Luckily the kids didn't get hit as hard as I did, but it was terrible, and now the hubby has it. The lung issues afterward are a definite problem, i'm still out of breath if I do almost anything, and coughing so much.
I was the same way for nearly a month - even had to be on O2 for a few hours a day.

Get sunlight! Honestly my lung issues started improving when I started going outside and sitting for 30 minutes a day in direct sunlight. My Doc said it might help raise my Vit. D3 levels, which are proven to help both prevent and cure the flu & lung issues resulting from it.

After about a week of sunlight I'm feeling much much better.
dakotamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #15  
Each day is a victory!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/145

Height: 5'2"

BOOOOO to the Flu!
Hope you are all better now!
KaCee J is offline   Reply With Quote