Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 224/ticker/140

Height: 5' 4"

I have this same problem too. My roommate is also my best friend and we're extremely close. I don't think there's anything she doesn't know about me (except for this forum now). But now that I've gotten serious about weight loss, I'm kind of embarrassed about it. I have no idea why, but I think it's because I put on this aura of "I don't care what anyone thinks about me," and joining a forum about weight-loss is admitting that I do. And I don't like that.

She's been out of town this week so she doesn't know that I've also gotten a GoWear Fit. As weird as this sounds, I'm dreading telling her about it - she will notice it eventually so I feel I should just be up front. The funny thing is we share everything and through our ups and downs (and we've had plenty of those), we have never judged or looked down on each other. Our motto seems to be "Whatever floats your boat, I'll support", which is why I have no idea why I'm suddenly so nervous about this little thing.

Obviously having my picture up and putting up current and starting weights, I'm not too concerned if someone stumbles upon these posts. But I'm not going to come out there and say it. To make it a bit harder, I'm even using a different screen name from the one I use on just about every other site in the world, so I'm trying to be pseudo-discreet. But if I don't feel comfortable telling my best friend (whom I've told a lot more embarrassing and unflattering things), there's no way anyone else is hearing about 3FC from me.

Maybe when I get less self-conscious about this weight thing, I'll be more comfortable talking about my successes and struggles, but for now 3FC is my little haven.
augeremt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #17  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

I tell the world and even write down the website for them. I really don't give a S*** what people think of me but then, I'm old, and it really doesn't matter.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:01 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I told my sister. I mentioned it to one other person - along with Sparkpeople, fitday, etc.

But, this is a place where I can be honest and open - I totally understand how you feel.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:27 AM   #19  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

No, I haven't mentioned it to anyone IRL and I also don't post face shots or anything that would identify me to people who might know me and come here incidentally. My ex-husband is pretty well known at least in DC circles and, even though I'm not, there are plenty of people who could recognize me, because of him, if I were a little less circumspect.

If you knew me IRL you would never guess I was the notorious DCHound! LOL
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:37 AM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
I tell the world and even write down the website for them. I really don't give a S*** what people think of me but then, I'm old, and it really doesn't matter.
ROFLMA
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 AM   #21  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I've told a few people about this place since they kept asking me about weight loss in hopes that they'd find a place here. I really have nothing to hide and if I b*tched about it here I have probably b*tched about it to their face if it involves them too It's just what I do lol

My numbers are just numbers and I've heard it all from them asking me if I've had WLS, a disease, eating disorder, etc. As you lose more weight you'll get the few naysayers in with the people that are really happy for you
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #22  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have told 2 people about this site. People that are interested in weight loss and I think could benefit from being here. I am not randomly sharing it with people that might look just out of curiosity.

I have a rule not to post anything online that I would mind seeing on the front page of the newspaper so I struggled with the idea of posting my weight. A reality check got me to thinking "What am I thinking!!" - Is my obesity is a secret? Maybe people have not realized that I was very fat? Get real, time2lose, everyone knows! Someone actually knowing my numbers would be a little embarrassing but it is not like I was doing something illegal.

I generally try not to say anything that I would not want my family to read. It is an extension of a long time policy of mine to not write anything that I do not want DH or children finding. Diaries scare me. I thought about that when the David Letterman problem started. Someone wrote something in a diary that the wrong person read.

Pictures are even scarier than postings. I thought long and hard before posting shots that show my face. However, my face shows my weight loss more than any other part of my body. I decided that there was no shame there so I would post but I would hate to see my picture attached to some article on obesity in America.

The pictures that some people post in their underwear do make me nervous for them. I am afraid what could happen if the wrong people got hold of them. However, everyone here should be an adult and can make these decisions for themselves.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #23  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

in regards to people knowing how much you weighed.....I used to really care about that, to be really embarrassed. but, since I've lost I kind of don't care anymore, not sure why. I've told several people my starting weight, and it's not the end of the world. They have eyes and all.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:26 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 249/175/149

Height: 5'8"

I don't tell anyone but my boyfriend.. I tell him all the cool things I read or anything really funny I'm the same way as some of you.. I am completely myself on here, and I don't really want people I know knowing how much I weigh & such!
kuhrisuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

I tell everyone I talk about weightloss with about this site, because it has helped me tremendously. I'm not too worried about people recognizing me or knowing how much I weigh. I do avoid posting info about my exact location but I'm not really worried about the other details I post.

Of course I tell just about everyone about my weightloss, I'm working really hard and I'm very proud. I enjoy the boasting :-)
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:47 AM   #26  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

I actually have a ticker on my face book and talk about my journey on there as well. I don't think I would share here though unless they were wanting to lose weight as well. I woulnd't want them just coming and reading what i have talked about lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:50 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

...I don't know that I've actually come right out and told anyone that I joined the site. My sister (8) is beginning to read better..so of course she blurts out anything she can read to the whole room. So my dad and step mom probably know just cause of my sister. I have thought about telling people at the gym I go to.. The gym offers a program called the Biggest Winner. And one of the challenges for the group is to find a weight loss buddy...I thought about telling that group about this site. Only because you all have helped me so much...and because it's nice to have a place where everyone knows how this struggles feels...
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #28  
Registered Nut

S/C/G: 325/325/150

Height: 5'6"

Hmmm... I'd have to go back and see what I actually posted........ LOL
RN BSN 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:21 PM   #29  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I have two main internet handles. This is one of them, and the only one I tie my real name to (even though I've only revealed my first name at this point). I don't really allow the different handles to touch each other, as I don't think I'd like anyone to be able to google my other handle and stumble across this one. At the same time, I honestly don't think most people I know, either in RL or in the online world, would have much interest in anything I have to say here. If they do ask about my weight loss, I tell them about the LJ blog I have linked in my signature. Although the handle there is similar to this one, it does not directly tie back to this account I have here.

What I used to live in fear of was the people who know me through my other internet handle would find out I was "fat." It was like a carefully guarded secret, lol. I think I was being a bit silly and overly-worried about that, but at the time, I think it was the first way I was ever able to be myself around others without having to worry about how I physically looked. I'm sure many of you can relate to feeling constantly judged by your looks alone, and it was very freeing to not have to worry about that in at least one aspect of my life.

I'm currently getting over that though . . . I recently posted my latest before and after pics under my other handle, very nervously I might add. But I think it was a big step of accepting not only who I am now, but who I was as the scared, overly self-conscious person before I started this journey. Plus those who replied to my weight loss seemed genuinely happy for me; some even said I look "hot." Wow, I'm so not used to hearing that, lol.

Last edited by Elladorine; 10-22-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #30  
Bikini Season :)

I do not tell people about it... for a few reasons. I dont want a lot of people knowing my actual weight (haha!!), I also have made this "my" place and am very open on here, in ways that would not be to other people.
KateRN is offline   Reply With Quote