3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   How has having a cold/flu affected your weight loss? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/184743-how-has-having-cold-flu-affected-your-weight-loss.html)

Loving Me 10-21-2009 12:47 PM

How has having a cold/flu affected your weight loss?

I've had a really bad head cold for the last week and now am struggling with a chest infection which has really knocked the stuffing out of me.
I've felt hungrier than normal and have really struggled with my workouts when I've actually been to the gym.
So I'm wondering for those of you who've dealt with a cold/flu during your weight loss journey, how has it affected you? And how has it affected the number on the scales?

sprklemajik 10-21-2009 01:00 PM

I always switch my exercise to a milder form of exertion. When I'm sick and can't hardly breathe I try to just walk instead of a usual workout. I would suggest listening to your body and taking it a little easier. That way your body can heal faster and you can get back to business as usual. Food wise, I find I crave soups and comforting foods. It's all about portion control, especially if you lower your workouts. But take care of yourself -- if you need to go ahead and switch out a planned dinner for some good chicken noodle soup.

cfmama 10-21-2009 01:23 PM

I just normally scale back on the work outs... walk instead of jog and drink lots of tea, soups, applesauce that sort of thing. I still count every single calorie but soups can be high in sodium causing water weight retention so be mindful of that.

I hope that you feel better soon!

Thighs Be Gone 10-21-2009 02:17 PM

I had a stomach virus last night--or something. It lasted about twelve hours. I am -2.5 pounds on the scale to 130 this morning. I wish it would stick! :(

AmberShimmer 10-21-2009 02:20 PM

Once I had the flu and a stomach virus at the same time. I tend to lose my appetite completely when I'm sick, can't even stomach water. I was sick in bed with the two kinds of flu for three days and lost 10 lbs. The weight did come back, though.

rockinrobin 10-21-2009 02:31 PM

I am SO fortunate that I have not been sick one single time since I changed my eating habits. Not one single time. Had everyone in the house sick with a host of things - colds, stomach bugs, sore throats, coughs, strep and yes - swine flu. But I've escaped it all. :)

I would eat if you were hungry - just make it good choices. This is not a time to be adding in junk. I'd cut back on the exercise if you're not up to it - no need to overdo it. Whatever your weight is when this is over and one with - it is. I wouldn't be too concerned. Feel better soon.

findingfawn 10-21-2009 02:41 PM

I had a cold a few weeks ago and packed on about 8 pounds of water weight, once I was over the cold that weight was gone within a few days... and 2 more.

I follow my body's cues when I'm sick, if all I can eat is sherbert then that is what I'm gonna eat, if I can't move because I hurt everywhere well then I just do the best I can if it's only turning from side to side in bed!

Hope you are feeling better soon :hug:

Shannon in ATL 10-21-2009 02:44 PM

I was going to say what Robin said. Be careful and take care of yourself. Make good food choices, and don't push the exercise so hard it delays your recovery. You will likely see some water retention, particularly if you are taking meds, but it will settle back out. I've heard people say that they exercise if the congestion is in their head but not if it is in the chest, and I've done similar things. When I have a lot of chest congestion I tend to get dizzy if my heart rate goes up.

Thighs Be Gone 10-21-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2980974)
I am SO fortunate that I have not been sick one single time since I changed my eating habits. Not one single time. Had everyone in the house sick with a host of things - colds, stomach bugs, sore throats, coughs, strep and yes - swine flu. But I've escaped it all. :)

I would eat if you were hungry - just make it good choices. This is not a time to be adding in junk. I'd cut back on the exercise if you're not up to it - no need to overdo it. Whatever your weight is when this is over and one with - it is. I wouldn't be too concerned. Feel better soon.

You know RR, I haven't been either. Not once in 16 months or more. My kids had Flu A AND B last year. My hubby is sick 1/2 the time--because he stays on airplanes all the time I think. I really wonder if what I ate yesterday afternoon was the culprit. I had an Indian dish that comes in one of those MRE packages and doesn't require refrigeration. (I don't typically eat these things but was home alone last night and didn't feel like cooking.) I haven't had this brand before. Plus, it (the illness) came on so suddenly and was all gone by morning.

rockinrobin 10-21-2009 05:25 PM

It's pretty cool, isn't it thighs?!?!?!?!

It's been over 3 years for me. 3 years with no bugs, flus, colds, what have you. I really do attribute it to the healthy foods that I eat and the non-healthy ones that I avoid. A couple of times, I did have a slight scratchy throat, which used to always be a pre-cursor to a cold for me, but each time it never materialized. I was able to shake it off. And on top of it, the only time I had a headache in over 3 years was when I once overdid it on sugar.

I love manipulating my health. :)

duckyyellowfeet 10-22-2009 12:25 AM

i had swine flu during the third or fourth week in. I honestly just stuck with low-calorie versions of what i normally eat when I'm sick. Skinny Cows instead of Haggen-daz, minestrone soup instead of something with cream, herbal tea to keep all of those fluids up.
I was also not overly hungry, so that helped too. I slept a lot too, so that was easy enough. As for workouts, I nixed them all because of the asthma issue.

DeeinVaBeach 10-22-2009 12:46 AM

I'm going on Day 4 of the flu right now, and all 3 of the kiddos have it too, although not as bad as i do thank God. Luckily I've been able to keep myself well hydrated with lots of water, some juice and some Sprite, but no appetite whatsoever until this evening, and even then not much... no exercise at all since i can barely make it up and down the stairs without losing my breath altogether at this point... and i'm down 6-7 lbs... which I know won't stick, but looks lovely on the scale, although honestly, I'd rather have the health and be out hiking to get it off than feeling like I got hit by a truck.

dstalksalot 02-03-2012 12:10 PM

I have been on the verge of a cold for almost a week now. Today I feel awful. I noticed an increase in weight this week and was wondering if it was water related. I have been drinking water like a mad woman and my nutrition has been within my range for the week (ba
rely). But I am getting paranoid about the gain/stall even if it has only been a week.