Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

I think there are two separate phenomena.

Boredom eating used to happen to me when I was mindlessly wandering around the house cuz I had nothing to do just then, and ending up in the kitchen, opening cupboards and the fridge, not because I was hungry, but because it was something to do. Then, either finding something to eat or making something to eat. Deep down, it seemed like a valid thing to do (after all, we all *need* to eat) and I would always pick something at least vaguely healthy. But I never really engaged my brain or thought I was having a good time.

I've sort of trained myself to recognize when that was happening and turn my attention elsewhere. Most of the time, I will just make myself a cup of tea instead of eating anything. Browsing 3FC with a mug of tea can take care of those little bits of free time that pop up between chores or whatever.

This seems different to me than social eating, or creatively engaging in food preparation or actively seeking out new foods to try or prepare. I think food excitement needs to be replaced with equally engaging activities. Shopping for pants works for me -- once in a while, I find a pair but more often that not I am simply more motivated to lose weight!
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #17  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

Oh I'm so with you there. I've always eaten for entertainment and to stop boredom.
Whenever I was bored or more often when I didn't want to do something I should be doing, or when I didn't want to think about something that was bothering or hurting me then I'd eat. I'd put something mindless on the tv and sit with my foods and zone out.
This last week I've been ill and have wanted to eat so much. I've been struggling to find something on the tv to occupy my mind and it's just not the same without the food.
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote