Old 10-19-2009, 01:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 245/245/220 (10%)

Height: 5'7"

Default Any walkers out there?

Walking is going to be my primary form of exercise. Luckily, I live in an area where it really is a pleasure to get outside. We have beautiful scenary and lots of wildlife to keep things interesting (at least to me!) Given that I live in the Rocky Mountains, I am going to have to come up with a winter plan. I will start looking on Craig's List to see if there are any great deals on used treadmills (and then I will have to figure out where in this house we could put one.)

Anyway, today I walked (for the first time in ages, really). I was out for about 1.5 hours and went (according to a handy Internet map) about 1.6 miles. Yes, that rate really is pathetic, isn't it? My overall time included time to watch some deer and slowly sneak up on some birds and time to stand gasping for a bit until I had enough air to go on.

How long did you walk? How far? Was there anything that made your walk fun or surprising?
DarkAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:22 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hello,

I'm a hiker (glorified walker) and I walk my dogs on most days. With the dogs, we generally go out for at least a mile on most days and on the weekends, maybe 2-3 miles or more. The longest hike I've done so far is about 6 miles in a little over 2 hours. I actually don't use walking as my primary form of exercise but I find it is a good supplemental.

I like to see wildlife on my walks. Also, when we go hiking, I love scrambles (love!!).

One thing I will say that you can definitely build up in your abilities. When I started doing hill/mountain hiking, I used to have to take quite a few breaks but now I don't need breaks.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 PM   #3  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to 3fc's and to walking! I think it's a wonderful form of exercise. It was all I was able to do when I first started losing weight and I still enjoy it.

Please don't ever think that your rate of 1.6 miles isn't good enough; you are just starting out. Every bit of activity is to your benefit!

I think your plan for a treadmill sounds great, but if room is an issue you might want to check out Leslie Sansone's "Walk Away the Pounds" videos.

Your avatar is just beautiful.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I walk. I started with 30 seconds down the sidewalk and 30 seconds back. Yeah, I was in that bad of shape. I added on a few feet every time I went until I could do 2 blocks. I felt like I was on top of the world!

Now I usually walk a mile at a good clip. I have done up to 2 miles but cannot go longer than that due to knee issues. I think it's important to walk where you enjoy it. If you hate walking down the street with cars you won't keep it up. I like to go to parks and walk.

Indoors when I cannot walk I use my bike (see avatar). I love my bike. It is my soulmate
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:10 PM   #5  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I'm a walker, but I do it at home to Walk Away The Pounds videos

I have been keeping my eyes open for a treadmill and an eliptical in my price range which lately has been "free"..lol. I'm lucky enough to live in a beautiful area, on a mountain lots of peace and quiet here, but the road is not a very safe road to walk on, people drive way too fast on it and it's very windy. I don't feel safe walking it with my kids in tow so I don't. Once we move to our new house, just a little ways up the mountain, we will be on a private road and have that to walk... I can't wait for spring to actually be able to do it.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

I'm a walker.
I especially like to wear my pedometer and compete with myself to keep doing better.

My daughter gave us her treadmill when she moved, but I don't like using it. I'd much rather walk outdoors, even if it's cold. There's a patch of woods near our house that I like to walk in. (I know I shouldn't be, but I am really embarrassed to walk along the road right now where people can see me.)

No matter how fast or slow you are, or how long or short your walks, any amount of walking is good.

Enjoy your walks.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 225/194/125

Height: 5'7

I love to walk! We have several good forest preserves around here that are close, and great for walking, especially with all my kids. I am trying to stick to strength training 3 days a week, and cardio 3 days, I use the walking on days the kids need to get out and about, often on top of my normal workout.

Sadly we've been stuck at home for almost 2 weeks with the swine flu, and our good weather days are coming too quickly to an end.

Last edited by crzymom6; 10-19-2009 at 02:37 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
crzymom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #8  
A New Woman

S/C/G: 330/ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

i love to walk . normally it's on my treadmill for the duration of one of my favorite CD's. I've also started something else i hope to continue: walking to my favorite place. My cousin and i are BFF and we've decided to start walking to the places we hang out at like Town Center and Albertsons (sad i know, but i used to work there so we got used to hanging out there, haha)
HeyHeyGabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

When I began to exercise, I started with walking. I simply couldn't run. I think walking is way, way underestimated. You are doing the right thing by starting. It is not only good for weightloss but for overall health and mental wellness. As you are able, increase your intensity and distance. You will build before you know it.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #10  
Gonna be a marathoner!

S/C/G: 268/258.6/134

Height: 5'4"

Don't forget to check Freecycle for a treadmill.

Love to walk. That's actually one of my favorite dates....just walking around town and talking.

I also like to go hiking and walking in the canyon.

Because of a book called "You Don't Have to Be Thin to Win", I also got into doing 5ks. They're pretty darn fun. I'm no speed demon, and walk most of it. But it's great for motivation. It's fun to see people cheering you on, and gives you goals to work towards. I even did a half marathon (at 242 pounds, no less) and looking to do a full marathon next year. I really don't know where this side of me came from

In the winter...well, I have a gym membership at the moment. But before, I would go walking on the local university's indoor track. Maybe there is somewhere around like that?

Or, I know some people do mall walking. That's another thing you could do indoors.

Yay for walking!
Tibouchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHeyGabby View Post
i love to walk . normally it's on my treadmill for the duration of one of my favorite CD's. I've also started something else i hope to continue: walking to my favorite place. My cousin and i are BFF and we've decided to start walking to the places we hang out at like Town Center and Albertsons (sad i know, but i used to work there so we got used to hanging out there, haha)
Most employees at my Kroger know me and my children's names. LOL! My water broke at Kroger with my 2nd daughter. My first job was at KROGER! I find nothing sad about it at all! In fact, if I was going to go back to work full-time, I would probably be a manager. LOL!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:53 PM   #12  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

I am like findingfawn I do the walk a way the pound videos. My neighbor hood isnt the best one to walk in lately so I can stay in the comfort of my house. I love them I wouldnt give them up for nothing.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Walking is my primary form of exercise. I don't walk outside much as I live on a country road and I can either go left or right--no interesting loops or walking paths or whatnot, just left or right then turn around and come home. We have oodles of bush I can hike, but with the bugs in the summer and the hunters/bears in the fall...not really an option.

SO, I have a treadmill. I *heart* my treadmill. I try to do at least 3 miles a day: today I did 4.5 mi. When I first started, it took me over an hour to do 3 miles, but now I can do 4 in an hour exactly.

My iPod and my treadmill are my favourite things.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

I walk, this time of year, the brisk autumn weather is so great. I don't use it as my main form of exercise, just when I need a breath of fresh air, or of course to get somewhere.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 PM   #15  
Mary

S/C/G: 225/190/125

Height: 5'2" Age: 22

I loooooove walking We're lucky enough to have space for a treadmill, so I have that. I also love to do Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home dvds. I usually do the 2 mile one everyday and take my dog for a 1 mile walk in the late afternoon/night around our neighborhood. I believe it's not so much in the distance (though it is pretty cool telling people you walk 50 miles a month ), it's more in how long you go for. So don't feel bad about only walking 1.6 miles, you were out there for over an hour and that's great!!
platformnine is offline   Reply With Quote