Feel Like Caving, Help!

• I've not been feeling great the last few days, had the sniffles, sneezing, scratchy throat etc, but yesterday afternoon it really hit hard and I feel terrible. My nose is like a stream, my throat is painful, my eyes hurt, I'm exhausted and I ache allover.
    The main problem is that also since yesterday I've been SO hungry, plus I can't stop taking potty breaks! Even after eating my meals I'm still hungry and I am SO close to giving in and having some comfort food to make me feel better. I know it's not the right thing to do, I know afterwards that I will hate myself again, but the hunger pangs and cravings are so bad.
    Any advice anyone? Any ideas why I'm suddenly so hungry when I've been fine for ages, is it to do with the cold? How can I stop myself caving in, right now I just can't believe how hungry I am.
  • You stop yourself from caving in by deciding to do so. That simple. Remember your priorities and what you want the most out of life. Some quick fix eat it in 2 minutes and feel miserable or some long term eat something good for you that will ensure your future.

Could be the cold that's causing you the hunger. I think if you're hungry, you should eat. But choose foods that will comfort you now (short term) and comfort you down the road as well (long term). How about a nice hot bowl of soup? Or a nice chili or stew? Some sauteed veggies? A yogurt smoothie? Also make sure to drink, drink and drink some more.

When you're not feeling well is certainly not the time to feed your body junk (not exactly sure what you've been craving), but to feed it things that will nourish your body.

You are trying to establish some new and healthy eating behaviors. Don't let some stress (being ill) side track you. You've got to learn how to deal with all that life throws at you, while adhering to your principles of being a healthy person.

Feel better.
  • chicken soup is healthy and will make you feel better
  • work some HEALTHY comfort food into your plan... grilled cheese with multigrain bread, laughing cow and a wee bit of butter is easy to work in, tomato soup AGAIN easy to work in. Chicken noodle soup etc... you have to work WITH it.

Now if you are talking chips and chocolate... well then yah. It's not going to make you feel better or help you to GET better.
  • I think I would suggest some soup too. I love CF's idea on a grilled cheese... never thought of laughing cow being toasted... but we buy 2% cheese slices that are 50 cal each.. still totally managable

Hope you get to feeling better soon
  • I agree with the others- you probably need those extra calories right now- so fill them up with something good like soup- always makes me feel better when I'm sick!
  • I love Cf's idea to work healthy comfort food into your day. Soup would be both filling and comforting and the fluid would be helpful.

Maybe some hot tea or diet cocoa would do the trick as well.

Feel better!