3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Support Groups > 100 lb. Club

Do you ever feel like you are going in circles?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
One day at a time!
 
time2lose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The deep south
Posts: 4,349

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default Do you ever feel like you are going in circles?

A thread on the general Weight Loss Support forum got me to thinking. I think of losing and gaining weight and all the issues that surround it as cycles and wonder if anyone else does. My cycles are:

Eat healthy > Exercise > No Cravings > Feel Good > Lose Weight > Eat healthy > Exercise > No Cravings > Feel Good > Lose Weight > and so on ....... upward spiral

Or

Eat Sugar and other junk > No Exercise > Cravings > Feel Terrible > Gain Weight > Eat Sugar and other junk > No Exercise > Cravings > Feel Terrible > Gain Weight > and so on ....... downward spiral

In this explanation "upward" and "downward" is not describing my weight but my general health and well being. It is important to me to keep the good upward spiral going. It can be very difficult to pull out of a bad spiral and start it going the opposite way. I actually picture stopping a whirlwind and making it start spinning in the opposite direction.

Being a very visual person, I made a visual aid to remind me and thought that I would share with you.

Am I the only one that sees weight loss like this? Do you get caught in cycles or keep going round in circles like I do?
Attached Images
File Type: gif good-cycle.gif (4.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: gif bad-cycle.gif (4.6 KB, 8 views)
__________________
Cheryl



Persistence is more important than Perfection

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #2
Starting over
 
Alana in Canada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Western Canada
Posts: 922

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default

How do you "break out" of the downward cycle?

How does the upward cycle get thrown out of whack?
__________________
**************
my weight loss blog: http://mypsychemysoma.blogspot.com/



"Your best weight is whatever weight you reach, when you're living the healthiest life you actually enjoy." Yoni Freedhoff
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
One day at a time!
 
time2lose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The deep south
Posts: 4,349

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default

It is very hard for me to break out of a bad cycle. I have to stop eating junk, exercise and then very slowly, I start spinning the right way with a good cycle.

I could break out of that good cycle by starting to eat junk and let the exercise go. It seems much easier to start the bad cycle going. That is why it is so important to me to keep the good stuff going. Eating junk, mostly sugar, is just not worth the effort of getting back on track. It may be crazy to think of it this way but I do.
__________________
Cheryl



Persistence is more important than Perfection

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
JulieJ08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: California
Posts: 7,097

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
It can be very difficult to pull out of a bad spiral and start it going the opposite way. I actually picture stopping a whirlwind and making it start spinning in the opposite direction.
I think that's a fabulous analogy, one you can contemplate as you are tempted to go off plan - makes it seem like a much less attractive option! It makes to consequences feel a little more immediate. I like it.
__________________
Started 4/14/08 LINK TO PROGRESS PICS 1/1/2009
"It is impossible to live pleasurably without living wisely, well, and justly, and it is impossible to live wisely, well, and justly without living pleasurably" Epicurus
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
findingfawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,700

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default

Excellent visual! I need them on my fridge, every cupboard door, bathroom mirror, even the tv and computer screen!
__________________
~~Sommer~~
Determined to find "Fawn", the skinny chick within me!


findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
3 + years maintaining
 
rockinrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 12,070

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by time2lose View Post
A thread on the general Weight Loss Support forum got me to thinking. I think of losing and gaining weight and all the issues that surround it as cycles and wonder if anyone else does. My cycles are:

Eat healthy > Exercise > No Cravings > Feel Good > Lose Weight > Eat healthy > Exercise > No Cravings > Feel Good > Lose Weight > and so on ....... upward spiral

Or

Eat Sugar and other junk > No Exercise > Cravings > Feel Terrible > Gain Weight > Eat Sugar and other junk > No Exercise > Cravings > Feel Terrible > Gain Weight > and so on ....... downward spiral

In this explanation "upward" and "downward" is not describing my weight but my general health and well being. It is important to me to keep the good upward spiral going. It can be very difficult to pull out of a bad spiral and start it going the opposite way. I actually picture stopping a whirlwind and making it start spinning in the opposite direction.

Being a very visual person, I made a visual aid to remind me and thought that I would share with you.

Am I the only one that sees weight loss like this? Do you get caught in cycles or keep going round in circles like I do?
I actually saw that post over in Support and I LOVED how you put it right there and then. And I agree 100%. "Good" behavior begets MORE "good" behavior. Just as "bad" behavior begets more "bad" behavior."

Which is why it is sooooo vital for soooo many of us to NOT have those splurges/cheats/indulgences. It just brings on too many cravings and spirals into MORE splurges/cheats/indulgences. It's just easier to STAY on plan, then to go off and have to get back on.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
One day at a time!
 
time2lose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The deep south
Posts: 4,349

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Default

Quote:
Robin said It's just easier to STAY on plan, then to go off and have to get back on.
Exactly! Well said! That is what I mean!
__________________
Cheryl



Persistence is more important than Perfection

Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. - Winston Churchill
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM   #8
No description available.
 
midwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 7,346

Default

Agree 100%. That has been my experience as well. I like the circles/spirals. I tend to think of it all as riding ocean waves. When I'm in a groove, I go up and down with the swells and it is actually rather effortless---sure there's planning and executing, but not a lot of angst. Angst is what exhausts me. When I get off stride, the waves will crash over me and I have to kick and breathe and choke water and work really hard to not drown. Fighting cravings and convincing myself to get back on track takes a lot of effort. Far better to just ride along on the swells.
__________________
"And that's how Beowulf rolls"~ my DD
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
irishsarah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Northeastern Ohio But my heart belongs to Canada.
Posts: 371

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Default

It is always harder to get on a ride when it is already in motion. Remember those "merry-go-rounds" they used to have at playgrounds? Those rides that everyone would grab a hold of, run as fast as they could in a circle and then jump on and spin and spin and spin? Did you ever try to jump on one WHILE it was moving? If you tried it; I bet you got knocked into the dirt more then you made it on. That's a good reason to start the ride, hang on and NOT to get off. It is so much harder to get back on once it starts spinning.

I know. I've been trying to hop back on for awhile now and I've got the bruises to prove it.
__________________


irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:52 PM.






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.3.2