Old 10-15-2009, 08:04 AM   #31  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I'm so sorry that your BF's son wouldn't stay at your house. That must have been very disappointing.

I have had dogs since I was a very young child. Most of the dogs we had were tiny dogs....chihuahuas,maltese, dauchshunds, etc. Currently, I have three dogs....a 6 pound chihuahua, a 4 pound chihuahua/poodle mix and a 55 pounds lab/pit bull mix. The one thing I can tell you with certainty is that every single dog has had their own personality, but the little dogs are the toughest. For some reason, they can pack a big attitude in such a tiny package. My chihuahua rules the roost and the other dogs better toe the line, or else! However, she loves everybody...family, strangers, mailman, etc. The little mixed guy is strange. He doesn't like anyone except for family. We've had him since birth and he's never been abused, but he's just strange. He's afraid of everyone except for immediate family. We've tried socializing him, but nothing seems to work. Now, we just accept him for who he is. However, he also knows that we have zero tolerance for his negative behavior towards stangers. We have made it very clear that barking and growling are unacceptable. He gets sharply scolded and sent to his crate. Remember...you are the boss. You let the dog know that you won't allow his behavior.

Regarding the water bottle....this has been a hugely successful technique with our lab/pit mix. We would never squirt him in the face! That assumption is just ridiculous! All it took was 2-3 times of getting squirted on the flank for him to realize that his negative behavior resulted in a wet backside. He would see the bottle and stops his behavior immediately. As he has gotten older, he responds better to just our voice and we don't need the bottle. I've also had really good results with a soda can with a few coins tossed in. My poodle hated the sound and responded quickly when the can was rattled. I also had a cat that responded well to the can. I'm not a huge fan of the giving of treats to change a dog's behavior. As Cesar Milan has said for years, you don't encourage negative behavior. My dogs get treats when they've been on their best behavior only.

Last edited by GirlyGirlSebas; 10-15-2009 at 08:06 AM.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 AM   #32  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

We tried the water bottle and it failed. We have let this dog be the boss for so long that he just won't listen to us no matter what on some issues and he has even bitten us both to where we have bleed...not a lot but still. I need Cesar Milan :|
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #33  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Oh boy! That is not good. Are you afraid of him? Be persistent. Don't let him know that you're afraid he'll bite you. This gives these little guys a big does of self confidence that they don't need. I recommend a crate. Negative behavior equals an immediate time-out. It doesn't need to be for long....10 minutes at the most. If he is not the center of attention and not calling the shots, he'll learn.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #34  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I also recommend a crate and if you can put it in a separate room for his time out that would be even better. Praise him for good behavior but he needs to be disciplined too.

He knows you are afraid of him and it's time to take your pants back from him You and your BF are the boss not the pup!

Is he altered? If he isn't, you may want to consider getting him neutered.

I have a great dane, boxer & chihuahua...the chihuahua was given to me by a cousin & I had to totally retrain her. It was a PIA but she went from hating everyone esp my kids to loving everyone except the UPS man
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #35  
Resident Pixie

Yes, I will admit that I am afraid of him, he may be little but his bites hurt :|

My boyfriend really has suggested a crate but it is me that stops it. I just worry about him being cramped up in some little space where he can't move around :| I am too emotional with him, I know it.

Tanee, I would love to get him neutered but in honesty, can't afford it. I have even checked for places that may give a discount for it and all and can find nothing. Not only that but my bf won't even pay for him to have his shots and I don't have any money nor any means of getting a job. But I really don't want to turn this into a boyfriend bash lol so I will focus on the problems and solutions that I am able to do.

Thanks for the responses
Old 04-05-2010, 04:27 PM   #36  
Resident Pixie

Oh, also, I (we) do not have a clue how to regain control. He has been spoiled for the whole time we've had him, which I bought him when he was 3 months old and now he is 2 years old. We've watched Cesar, tried the techniques and failed. We've read books, including Chihuahuas for Dummies, and failed. It seems hopeless sometimes :|
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #37  

Oh I think a kennel is absolutely necessary. If he bites you or your BF, fine, but what if he bites a toddler? That could be a lawsuit. Especially if he doesn't have shots and can pass on something like rabies. I think a kennel, in this case, is the lesser of two evils! You can do it. Your will has to be stronger than his, and you have to persist with training efforts.

I've only raised a German Shepard/Husky, and I do know that Chihuahuas have their own special personality quirks, but I also know that it's possible to train them. Dogs like to be a valued member of a clan.
Hyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #38  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Sorry to tell you this but it is hopeless. You have a dog who considers himself the leader of the pack. Unless you overcome your fear and become the boss, the situation is going to continue.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #39  
Resident Pixie

I understand something needs to be done but my problem is where and how do I start after 2 years of letting him rule the roost?
Old 04-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #40  
it's always something

I agree with cfmama that the dog needs to be taken places to socialize him. I also agree with JayEll's suggestion of searching out local classes to help train him. It's not too late, if you do it right. You can ask your vet to recommend a local class. They are done in small groups, so it's less expensive than hiring Cesar Milano

I also agree with JayEll when she disagreed with spraying. That's considered negative reinforcement and is frowned upon. Your vet and/or trainer can explain positive reinforcement and how your dog will be happier and more obedient at the end of the day.

Now that your dog is biting and will not obey, then you MUST do something to help him, and as quickly as possible. It's the fair and ethical thing to do for the dog.

If you and your boyfriend are unable to seek out help, for whatever reason, then your best move would be to contact a chihuahua rescue in your state and let someone take him that has the resources and knowledge to help him become a loving and stable little fellow. It's an act of love.

I hope my suggestion doesn't seem harsh. I love chihuahuas and have two of them. I firmly believe that our attention to their well-being is a priority and a requirement. There is no choice.

Good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #41  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

On the kennel thing, let me tell you my experience.

I was VERY ANTI KENNEL for a long time. I, like you, thought that putting a dog in a kennel and leaving her there where she couldn't roam around was not kind. But we adopted a dog who had some issues (in her case, some pretty severe separation anxiety), and we didn't know what else to do.

If you do buy a kennel, it's important to get your dog accustomed to it as a fun place, not as a place of punishment. Put some delicious, amazing treats in there, leave the door open, feed the dog in the kennel, and basically teach her that "good things happen in the kennel!" Only after the dog goes in comfortably and is hanging out in there do you start training with the door closed...only for a few seconds at a time, then let the dog out and give lots of treats. Repeat, keeping the amount of time the dog is in the kennel longer and longer as time goes by. Remember - the kennel is a happy, good place where awesome things happen!

Slowly your dog will acclimate to the kennel, and be comfortable in there...the more awesome things happen to the dog in the kennel, the more happy the dog will be in there. Go slow, be persistent, and consistently give rewards.

Again, I was very anti-kennel. But our girl used to FREAK OUT when we left her alone, being destructive and generally being in a panic. The kennel has COMPLETELY resolved that issue. And now, if I just say her command ("Kennel!") she runs right in and lays down, happy as a clam to have her safe place to stay. And when someone comes over and I need her out of the way or she's too amped to behave well, I can give her that separation WITHOUT it being a punishment.

Here's a great article on kennel training: http://www.humanesociety.org/animals..._training.html

You don't need Cesar Milan to train your dog - you just need some knowledge, and you need to be firm and consistent. There are some EXCELLENT resources online on dog training, or you can go to your library and get books, even Cesar Milan's books, to give you guidance. The information is out there for free.

For example, on barking - you need to introduce a word that means "don't bark"..."quiet" would be a good one. When your dog barks, give the command, then distract the dog with a treat immediately, which should stop the barking. If the dog is quiet, it gets the treat. If it continues barking, no treat until it stops. AS SOON as the dog stops barking, say a reward word and give the treat. Next time he barks, give the same command, and when he stops barking, say the word and give him the treat. No scolding, no yelling, just rewarding for acceptable behavior.

Now this can take a REALLY LONG time. Sometimes the dog will bark and bark and bark and bark, and you'll want to give the dog the treat to shut him up. Don't. No treats unless he's exhibiting behaviors you want him to exhibit.

Some basic obedience training might be REALLY GOOD for your dog, as well. It can burn off excess energy and provide intellectual stimulation. And good obedience skills are great for getting a dog's attention when it's not behaving the way you'd like. You can start basic obedience training with focus games. Say your dog's name - when he looks you in the eye, even for a second, say your "reward word" (ours is "Yes!") and give a treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat. Every time he does the behavior you ask for, say his reward word and give him a treat. Only ask once...if he doesn't get it the first time, get him to look at you some other way (snap near your face, make kissy noises, etc)...reward AS SOON AS he looks at you.

Another focus game is "Touch" - tell your dog to "Touch", and hold out your hand near his face at eye level. When his nose touches your hand, say your reward word and give him a treat. Repeat, repeat, repeat, using the same method of saying the command once and getting attention however you can, then rewarding AS SOON as the good behavior occurs. Either of these games can be great distractors from barking...a dog rushing to touch your hand or looking at you because you said his name isn't focusing on barking or other undesirable behaviors.

After your dog has basic commands with just you, introduce distractions...bouncing balls, noises, etc. And keep practicing until your dog is doing the command every time, even if distracted. It takes a LOT of repetitions. But when it's done, you will be so. much. happier!

You know, lots of people with weight to lose say "Wow, I need Bob and Jillian to come here and help me". But we all know that if we're consistent, get answers, and work hard, we can do it on our own. The same with dog training...you don't need Cesar Milan, you need to be consistent and do your research.

Here's one site to get you started:

http://www.loveyourdog.com/teachyourdog.html

I would also like to third the suggestion that you try to find a small group class...it'll not only get your dog a basic training foundation, but it will also get your dog exposed to other people and dogs. Both will help with the problem you're experiencing.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #42  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

I treat my dogs like my babies...I love them so much but like I said before you need to be the boss It's a pretty bad comparison but I have to be very consistent with them and my kids or they will think they can get over on me. That can't happen...they way out number me! Start with the basics like you would with any pup.

You don't really want to "break" him...you just need to redirect and replace his bad habits with something else. All you need it time and patience (and a kennel ).

I also recommend contacting a chihuahua rescue group....not to give him up but to see if they have any additional resources we aren't thinking of and that are in your area. They work with a variety of personalities and might have some good advice!

Last edited by TJFitnessDiva; 04-05-2010 at 10:26 PM.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 AM   #43  
Resident Pixie

Thanks so much for all the info. We are gonna work on retraining him (or training him, rather since he has never had any boundaries) but yeah, giving him up is NOT an option. I don't have any children and he is like my baby so giving him away is not happening ever.

I am gonna talk to my bf about the kennel/crate idea too. I think if I can do the positive experience with it as Amanda mentioned then I would feel better about it.

Thanks again so much ♥
Old 04-06-2010, 09:10 AM   #44  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Onederchic, I don't know anything about dog training, so no advice there. This thread has made me think about raising my children. Sometimes it was so hard to discipline my children and not let them have and do anything that they wanted. There were times that I had to let my head rule over my heart and I ended up being very glad that I did. This sounds like the same principle. I suspect that at first it will be difficult emotionally to discipline your dog (baby) but the long term reward will be worth it.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #45  
Resident Pixie

Thank you, Cheryl. I am well aware that I let my emotions guide me when it comes to the dog and a lot of times (or maybe all the time?) I shouldn't and I am really gonna work on that. I even make it difficult for my boyfriend to discipline the dog because I get too upset about it. Today is a new day and I am gonna do my best to help my doggy get the balance in life he needs

Last edited by Onederchic; 04-06-2010 at 11:59 AM.