Semi OT: I'm stressed about a million things and the end of calorie counting...

• Ok I've had really bad sleeping issues for the past 3 weeks. It's kind of like a faux-insomnia, because I know I CAN sleep. But somehow I don't allow myself to get to that relaxed point because I have so many things I keep remembering to do and think about.

The main issue is that I've been deciding whether or not to move back to Africa for work and so that's kind of been a source of stress and then I decided pretty recently (this weekend) to make the move. And so it turns out I have to be there the week of the 20th meaning I'm moving next week and so I'm basically freaked out! I hate packing, moving, anything like that, and suddenly it's crazy. I have basically one week to sort everything out and get all packed and leave. And then yesterday in a fit of industry, I started selling my stuff and I found a buyer for my newish (kinda expensive) pots and sold them at a really good price and now have nothing to cook or prepare food in till I leave because I'm a genius like that. And then I like calorie counting and the control it gives me over my consumption but I'm not really going to be able to do that as rigidly anymore when I move because I won't have control over all my meal prep and so I'm not quite sure yet how I'm going to deal, and I know from experience that the food (though amazing and delicious) tends to be pretty dense and calorie-rich. And then there are a million other things that are constantly running through my head and I'm so tired and just want to sleep but when there's so much to do and think about, I feel like I can't justify sleeping.

Anyway, to bring this back on point. What are some favourite (easy) alternatives to calorie counting?
  • Well, I think if I couldn't count calories I'd probably come up with some sort of system. Like 3-4 servings of protein, 5-6 servings of veggies, 2-4 servings of starches, 2-3 servings of fruits per day and try to make healthy choices and use good judgment about portion control. But, that's just something off the top of my head.

But now that I think about it maybe doing weight watchers points might be convenient? I don't really know cause I've never done weight watchers.
  • Wow, that does sound like a lot of stress! Although I had to half-smile that you sold off your pots too soon - that sounds like something I would do!

As for alternatives to calorie-counting, I'm not sure really what would be a simple alternative. I find tracking Weight Watchers points easier, but there is a learning curve and if you're not aware of all that's going into your meal/prep methods then it may not be that useful. The non-tracking methods like SBD and whatnot seem to rely on limiting some type of food so if that's not your cup of tea then those won't work for you, either.

I wasn't much help, I know. But good luck with the move and all! I'm sure some of the more experienced chickies will have better advice.
  • Africa! Wow, how exciting! It sounds like you've been there before but it's still exciting. My son is preparing to go on a 6-month church trip to Ukraine. I'm just so impressed with you global travelers!

I am afraid I don't have much to offer in the way of alternative food plans because the only thing I've ever done is count calories. But I do like the sound of hpnodat's suggestion.
  • Africa! Exciting!

One thing - you don't need pots and pans to eat healthily - you just need to be a bit more creative and flexible about what you eat when. And when everything else fails, there's always subway!

I think an exchange plan could work quite well. For example, I calorie count, but most days I eat: 2-3 dairy, 2 fruit, 5 veg, 2-3 grains/starches, 1-2 protein, 1 treat. Take your calorie counting book with you so you can work out the size of a portion, and then work within the options you have to minimise the calories whilst maximising the nutrition. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a system that works for you.
  • ToastedSmoke!

My goodness, girl, get some sleep. You NEED it.
    Get a notebook. Start writing down all those thoughts when you're lying there in bed. The next day, cross off what get done. It's something I learned in school--just to keep a running non-dated to-do list....helps with sleep, too!

A portion plan may be just the thing for you.

My chart is at the bottom. If you think it will help, e-mail me and I'll send it to you as a word document.

Servings are as follows:
    Grains and starches are anything about 80 calories. 1/2 cup rice, pasta. Oneslice of "regular" bread or a wrap counts for 2 servings.
    Milk and Dairy: chiefly this is yogurt and milk. About 100 calories per serving or less.
    Protein: Each box represents one ounce.
    Friut: about 60 calories or one piece. (A banana counts as two servings. )
    Veggies: 25 calories per.
    Fat: 45 calories per.

For more on servings, see The Hillbilly housewife: http://healthy.hillbillyhousewife.co...gonabudget.htm

Now that I've typed all that out, I can't imagine this would be any easier than calorie counting, though! It's a whole new system and you really don't need that right now.

What about just writing down everything you eat. Decide all pieces of fruit are 60 calories.

Simplify--and you'll be close.
    Which--right now--is good enough--though I know others may disagree.

And for dinner--stock up on Lean cuisine or whatever it is there is out there!
    Good luck mt dear. I'm sure once you're through the chaos and out the other side this will have been SO worth it!

• Try SBD...healthy fruits, whole grains, healthy fats, leans meats, and veggies.No counting calories.