3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Do any of you do martial arts? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/183509-do-any-you-do-martial-arts.html)

thistoo 10-06-2009 08:19 AM

Do any of you do martial arts?

Eons ago, when I was a high school freshman, I took karate for awhile. Then I was hospitalized for awhile and I never got back to training. Ever since then I have subconsciously filed that experience in the 'failures' file in my brain. I realize that's ridiculous, of course, but even so I don't think there's any harm in trying again as an adult.

The thing is, I am sort of intimidated of martial arts studios. What I'd *really* like to try is Krav Maga, and there are a couple studios here that offer it, but I still feel so heavy and conspicuous in spite of my progress, and let's face it, those instructors can be pretty intimidating.

So I guess I'm wondering if any of the ladies here in the 100 lb. club have tried martial arts as part of your fitness program? Maybe your positive experiences will help me get over my silly, unfounded fears.

And if you do have experience in the martial arts at all, how impactful is it on your knees? I do have some ongoing problems with the meniscus in my right knee, and I don't want to end up in surgery any sooner than I have to.

Currently my doctor is letting me try 30 days of knee rehab exercises, then possibly a shot before she makes me go see an Ortho, mostly because she knows I won't stop running no matter how many times she tells me to. But if doing martial arts training is just asking for trouble, I will hold off for awhile.

salsa chip 10-06-2009 08:38 AM

A while back I tried Tae Kwan Do for a few weeks. Getting myself up to go was the hardest part, because oh boy did it work me! But afterwards I always felt really good :D

And your post has given me an idea for another thread, but I don't want to hijack this so I'll scuttle off and put it somewhere else :cool:

nelie 10-06-2009 10:13 AM

I am 60 lbs heavier than you and right now I'm doing Korean style karate (Tang Soo do). I love it. I'd also like to do Krav Maga one day.

I have osteoarthritis in one of my knees and I've had physical therapy off and on with it. The karate doesn't bother my knees at all.

Go, do it, have fun.

jay41 10-06-2009 12:38 PM

I currently train in Isshinryu Karate and Arnis (stick-fighting). I got my black belts in both arts last year. I was probably around 250 pounds then.

I had troubles doing pushups and couldn't keep up with the twenty-somethings when we would spar (I'm 43) but I did it anyway.

I too had started karate years ago and put that in my failure column when I quit.

Just go do it -- so much of my overweight life I spent not doing things because of my weight or some other excuse -- no more!! Don't let those years go by and wonder where it all went -- just do it! :hug:

Krav Maga is more of a lethal art than most...quality time working out because you get fitness and self-defense benefits. Talk to the instructor about any physical issues and they will help you work around that.

thistoo 10-06-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jay41 (Post 2958735)
Just go do it -- so much of my overweight life I spent not doing things because of my weight or some other excuse -- no more!! Don't let those years go by and wonder where it all went -- just do it! :hug:

This. Exactly. I have let my weight hold me back for so long, and now I'm two pounds away from 'just overweight', BMI-wise, and I'm *still* letting it hold me back. That's really sad. But all your stories have reminded me that I'm being silly. Thanks for taking the time to share your experiences. :)

BarbPA 10-06-2009 08:39 PM

I'm seriously considering getting into ATA Taekwondo and also getting my 4yo son started. I went to a tournament a few weeks ago with my best friend and it was a blast to watch everyone compete and watch all the families that do it together. :)

kasmin 10-06-2009 09:05 PM

I did TaeKwonDo for a a year or so before and I really enjoyed it. I had to stop it when I was having lower back problems for a bit (not due to the TKD) and somehow never really started again. I'm not sure how it would be for people with knee probs since there can be a lot of heavy kicking. I think if you built your knees muscles up a bit first it would be fine. Plus sparring and breaking boards ROCKS ;) Anyhow you could always just try whatever martial art for a week to see if it was too hard on your system.

Man! You're motivating me to check out TKD gyms again. Thanks! :D