3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Help me make sense of this... please! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/182738-help-me-make-sense-please.html)

findingfawn 09-27-2009 09:07 AM

Help me make sense of this... please!

Ok, last week on my Monday weigh in, I didn't lose anything (didn't gain either). I was really upset, I had worked hard upping my workouts to 45 minutes several of the days of the week, going for a walk with hubby.. even jogging some which I learned the next day was really hard on my shins! I lifted weights two days and also made sure on the days I didn't do 45 minutes of cardio that I did 30 as my minimum. I ate on plan all days but one, and that one I didn't really blow it that horribly.

This week, I just didn't have much exercising umph. I would start a workout and not finish.. I just didn't have it in me, the baby has been getting up at night (think it's time to start some solids with him) and I'm a zombie all day because I have a horrible time falling asleep to begin with and trying to do that several times a night makes for a long one. I ate on plan all week.

I hop on the scale today.... 225!! That's 5 pounds in a week! What the heck?? By the way that makes a 10% loss for me now :carrot: I have lost 26 pounds since July!!

Anyone have a clue why this is working this way?

Bonnie+J 09-27-2009 11:57 AM

hi findingfawn,
i go to weight watchers and my leader swears that it takes 2 weeks for our efforts to show. she says she notices it with almost everyone.

i have also noticed it takes the two weeks for the gain too, 2 weeks ago i had a disaster of a week, but lost a pound. this week i stuck to the letter and was up a half! that bad week caught up to me.

i hope this makes sense! huge congrats on the 10% goal!!!!

Windchime 09-27-2009 12:05 PM

I weigh daily but only use Friday's weight as my "official" recorded weight. I have found that it's possible that my weight is trending downwards all week, but I might have an upward blip on Friday due to something I ate Thursday. So it's possible that you did lose a pound or two the week before, but it didn't happen to show on your weigh-in day due to a blip.

I also believe that Bonnie's theory can be true. It makes sense that it takes a little time for results to show, and maybe that's one reason that it's so difficult sometimes. We feel like we've been on plan all week, then are crushed on weigh-in day because it didn't (seem to) work. Maybe it takes a little time for the hard work to show?

Either way, congratulations on the 5 pound loss this week. It's a good reminder to all of us that it's the long-term trend that matters, and we just need to keep on keepin' on in order to reach our goals! :)

TJFitnessDiva 09-27-2009 01:03 PM

You upped your exercise plus staying on plan minus the small overage on one day....that's a lot for a body to handle when it's not used to it.

Try not to put too much effort into making sense of it....as long as you are losing in the overall scheme of things! I read on here a while back that weight loss isn't linear & it's so true :)

Judy Lynn 09-27-2009 01:29 PM

Congrats on losing 10% of your starting body weight. That is awesome!

Sorry you aren't getting enough sleep with the baby. I remember those days, and I'm glad they are behind me.

I believe it's true that it takes a while for results to show. I makes sense that it takes time for food to be metabolized.

Way to go for sticking with it. I know in the past I would have chucked it if the scale disppointed me.

starfishkitty 09-27-2009 02:02 PM

Ugh, if that two week thing is true... I'm dreading weighing in next week cos I had a low exercise, crazy week that included some really bad eating for about 3 meals!! I immediately gained from it though, and have lost nearly all of it.... soo.... hey... maybe the 2 week thing doesn't apply to me?? :shrug:

Then again, my body HAS always been pretty immediately responsive to things... hmmm...

matafleur 09-28-2009 04:59 AM

My guess is that your muscles retained water from the increased exercise and the injured shins, and when that eased up you saw the loss you'd actually earned.

(For me, poor food choices take 2-3 days to show up on the scale, but increased exercise takes 7-10.)

findingfawn 09-28-2009 09:13 AM

I didn't even think of the hurting shins (that hurt for 5 days after 5 minutes of jogging!!!) would be holding on to some water.. but I am sure that is possible.

I am still at 225 this morning!! This is the lowest I have been since before I got pregant with my almost 5 year old!!!

Bonnie+J 09-28-2009 09:32 AM

woohoo finding fawn!!!! thats excellent. huge congrats on your achievement!

findingfawn 09-28-2009 09:41 AM

Thanks Bonnie!

I put my weight in on my fitday.. and I'm below a 40BMI!!!! It's still horrible to think obese.. but at least I have moved down a huge rung on the ladder!!!