Old 09-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default Fruits and Veggies

When I go shopping I look for food that will fit in my Budget and is healthy for me too. I usually do my shopping at walley World and here lately their fruits and Veggies Suck . I dont know what it is but I bought some apples the other day and they look so good and they are soo nasty. They have no flavor. My husband says they have been gased. But I have noticed it here lately they are not up to standard.

Has any one noticed it? Or is it jest me. I must find another place to buy my fruit and veggies. A head of lettuce went bad after 2 days made me soo mad cause I was looking forward to a salad . I'm on a mission to find better fruit and veggies.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 PM   #2  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile oh Ya! They suck!

I bought some organic apples there and they were nast! Do you have a Reasor's in your area? They are really good. I don't know what else to tell you, but our Reasor's carries generic organics...kind of cool. They have set the standard for organics and antibiotic free and hormone free foods. I love this place and I hope you have one there. If not, I am sorry.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:50 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I am very fortunate to have a Farmers Market that runs usually two rock bottom deals each week. I go for those and indulge! In fact most stores around me might have one or two good deals for the week.

Wally World I just cannot do. Now, SuperTarget I LOVE. Do you have one nearby?

I have also been buying bunch spinach rather than bagged lately. WAY cheaper and you know, I can eat most every part of it. Who'dah thunk?
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 PM   #4  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

This site lets you search for Farmers Markets in your area:
http://www.localharvest.org/

You get the best selection if you go early, but you can sometimes get good deals if you go late!
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:12 PM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I have tried grapes and apples twice from WalMart this summer and I won't be buying their fruit again. That is with one exception, when I am traveling I like to stop there and get their packaged apple slices. They have not disappointed me but they are too expensive to keep at home.

I have been going to Aldi's lately. I stopped on my way home today and got 3 bunches of broccoli for $1.50, cabbage for $.59/head and 3 squash for $1. I had them for supper and they were very good.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #6  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

The apples this time of year are still from last years apple crops, the new crops of apples are just making their way to stores now.
Newlifestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51 PM   #7  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

timetolose I love Aldi's But we have safeway its Aldi's competor. Gardnerjoy I will have to check and see where they r I want some good fruit. Thighs Be Gone I dont think Our Target is a Super Target. Wish their was one near By. Ryanne I dont think we have one around here at least I never heard of it. If we do it's In the city and we never go down their unless we are visitin someone in the hospital. Too Much traffic their.

I will have to do some cheackin and see what I can find.
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

We stopped at a farmers market recently & tried Molly Delicious apples - first time I've ever heard of them - & they were the BEST apples I have ever tasted in my life! I agree that Wal-Mart doesn't have great produce. If you cook things, you might be better off buying it frozen. At least you have a long growing season in SC & should be able to track down some local grown stuff. Good luck.
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #9  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I get pretty much all my fruit and veggies from the local farmer's market and from Aldi's.... definitely happy with that selection! I'm sad that the FM is closing down for the season in Nov & won't reopen until April... Guess it's just Aldi's for me (and a FEW things from Walmart)....
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:35 AM   #10  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Ugh . . . I don't care much for Wal-mart produce and recently had a bad experience in buying meat there. I bought a package of ground chicken last week and it had bones ground up throughout it! It totally ruined a dish I'd planned on making several meals out of.

I sure miss Aldi's . . . we don't have any out here. But wow, do I ever love Fresh & Easy (I think they're only in Nevada, California, and Arizona). They have amazing produce and meat and their prices are pretty good too.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #11  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Bones ground throughout it?! What the...? Gross! I've never had a problem with Walmart meat, in fact, that's the only place I'll buy it cos everywhere else around here is WAY too expensive!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #12  
Out is Through

Shoprite actually has really awesome produce up by me, why don't you try there
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

I find that the less expensive grocery stores in my area have awful produce, meat, and fish. So I go to the nicer grocery stores for those items, and go to the regular stores for staples. It's pricier, but the alternative is not eating the food at all, and having it go to waste in my fridge--a waste of money all the same!
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #14  
one day at a time

S/C/G: 194/see ticker/150

Height: 5'6

I do my grocery shopping at 2 different stores. At the more expensive store, I buy my fruit, veggies and produce. At the other cheaper store I buy pretty much everything else. It sucks having to go to 2, but that's just the best way. Luckily one is right near my house and the other is right by my gym, so I'm not really going too much out of my way. the difference in quality of the fruit, veggies and produce at the 2 stores is just amazing.
MsDiana 08 is offline   Reply With Quote