Old 09-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default Do you eat less when refrigerator and cupboards are full?

I don't know why this is, but I always do best right after I've done a big grocery shopping trip. Once the food in the refrigerator and cupboards starts dwindling, I feel myself wanting to eat more and more, especially junk foods.

If I have my kitchen stocked up with a wide variety of foods, including some of our favorite candy bars or what have you, I don't feel as much like eating.

I don't know if it's some kind of scarcity thing or what...?

Anybody else like this?
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Yep.. and it is a scarcity thing exactly. It all goes back to our caveman days when you weren't sure when the next food was coming. When there is little food, it's natural to try to horde it all.. stupidly, we try to horde it right inside our own bodies. I have to fight this all the time!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:45 PM   #3  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

lolz im the same way ... when we havent done groceries in a while i open the fridge all the time to see if something has magically arrived now that i have my fridge and pantry stocked ( did groceries last night ) i dont want anything lolz i tht i was the only one like this
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I'm the opposite. I'm a total foodie. When the cupboards are stocked I think of all of the amazing things I could be making, (think: fried tofu, vegan donuts, etc) but when the cupboards are bare and I have just what I need for about a week, it's so easy to stay on plan.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #5  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
FreeSpirit
I'm the opposite. I'm a total foodie. When the cupboards are stocked I think of all of the amazing things I could be making, (think: fried tofu, vegan donuts, etc) but when the cupboards are bare and I have just what I need for about a week, it's so easy to stay on plan.
I am like FreeSpirit.
If my fridge is full and there is tons of treats... I want eat it all!!! It is so hard to hold back... that's why I keep my food supplies at the minimum possible.
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by belezura View Post
I am like FreeSpirit.
If my fridge is full and there is tons of treats... I want eat it all!!! It is so hard to hold back... that's why I keep my food supplies at the minimum possible.
Me too. I'm less likely to eat out of boredom when the food in the house isn't interesting.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:40 PM   #7  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Put me in the Free Spirit column. I especially go a little overboard on fruit and veg so they don't spoil.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

If there is a lot of healthy stuff that I like, then I'm more inspired to stay on plan.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by findingfawn View Post
Yep.. and it is a scarcity thing exactly. It all goes back to our caveman days when you weren't sure when the next food was coming. When there is little food, it's natural to try to horde it all..
Yep, exactly. I am in this category. I think being seriously poor for a few years contributed. I've really worked over my mindset regarding this -- and my husband has been working on this too, because even though he's always been a normal weight, he is in grad school and has the mentality that if there's free food at a work event, he needs to essentially 'stock' up.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I think I do better w/a fully stocked kitchen that is beautifully clean, laid out and ready to go. I always have all my yummy secret weapons laying around---fresh, in season fruit, Arctic 0 Ice Cream, Shiratake noodles, almond milk, cut up veggies, etc.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:44 PM   #11  
One pound at a time!

S/C/G: 264/239/199

Height: 5'6"

I do better after grocery shopping when there are plenty of healthy snacks and choices available. When some of the healthy options run out....then it is easier to turn to the bad ones.
bethbeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #12  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile When food starts getting scarce, I do get panicky:

I'm almost wierd about it, too. I will eat more and think about food more and almost panick that I need to get to the store. Completely Wierd...
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #13  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

What an insightful question!

Yes, when I've stocked up, it is much easier not to overeat. Never noticed before.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #14  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I never noticed before either, but my eating goes off axis when I don't have food in the house. Though, when I was binging, I would go grocery shopping and within hours have broken into everything I bought to eat some of it. Clearly a sign that I need a happy medium.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #15  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosinante View Post
What an insightful question!

Yes, when I've stocked up, it is much easier not to overeat. Never noticed before.
Weird, I never noticed before either but I tend to do more 'hunting' around the cupboards and fridge when things are low... when my fridge is full of delicious, healthy food I know exactly what I am going to eat. When I am low of veggies and fruit, on the other hand, I tend to do the cupboard crawl and that always gets me into trouble.
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote