Old 09-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #16  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I have always been a pear. Even at 140 pounds, I was a pear.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #17  
Mind-Mouth-Muscle-Motion

S/C/G: 274/ticker/174

Height: 5'10"

Quote:
Hang in there...I have seen many apples and pears turn in to string beans
Love that!

My friend is a very short little apple, but when she lost weight she became and adorable little string bean.

I am an hour glass, but a giant amazon one, and you could eat dinner off my big shelf butt.
Judy Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Apple here.

And boy have I been wondering the exact same thing.

My body shape definitely changed with middle-age. As I look in the mirror, my body is clearly smaller now, but I've still got that rounded semi-pregnant look.

I know that the location of fat deposition has a hormonal component and it is age related to a certain extent, so apples may be more applish as they get older.

Anyone who is a pronounced apple should consider getting tested for insulin resistance-- a prediabetic condition. People with insulin resistance can get good results reducing belly fat with certain meds.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 AM   #19  

Height: 5'9"

I'm 100% apple. I understand your pain, girl! Unfortionatly, I think we are stuck being apple's. Big or small.
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #20  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
People with insulin resistance can get good results reducing belly fat with certain meds.
Don't forget dietary changes. I reversed my insulin resistance with dietary changes. Unfortunately, I've reverted to my old way of eating and probably need to get tested again.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #21  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

people say you keep the same shape, but in my experience the first place I gain is my waist and it's also the first place I lose. I get a nice hourglass when I start to lose.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #22  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I had one Waist/Hip calculator tell me I was a squash. Straight up and down. I was once an hourglass and I hope I will have the same experience CountingDown had an get it back but I'll settle for a smaller squash!
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada View Post
I had one Waist/Hip calculator tell me I was a squash. Straight up and down. I was once an hourglass and I hope I will have the same experience CountingDown had an get it back but I'll settle for a smaller squash!
Ya know... funny enough, I was just browsing the Nordstrom Plus Size shop online, where they allow you to browse outfits by body shape.

I was browsing the apple section, and I always wondered why the clothes they recommended for apple shapes NEVER look good on me. Then I noticed that there was another category called "straight" and voila-- there were all the clothes that I tend to think look good on me!

So who knew? I think I may be a squash too.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 253/Maintenance/140

Height: 5'8

Hmm, body shape. Good question. I still don't know! Yesterday I actually went bathing suit shopping (another story entirely!) and with one conservative two piece, my best fit was a size 6 top and a size 12 bottom. Yep.
WhitePicketFences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:59 AM   #25  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

ohh the fustrations of being an apple !!! well i guess thats part of the fun .. we apples will have to loose some weight to see how itll turn out it can only get better from here =P
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:20 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I have always been a pear - big thighs, big hips. Even smaller, my body shape is still the same.

It would be very hard to lose the "pear-ness" - already my top half is very thin (my collarbones stick out like cheese graters) and my face is thin. If I ever got my thighs where I wanted, I don't think I would be happy with th overall look.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:12 PM   #27  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

I'm an hourglass - and I'm only just beginning to get used to this fact

Only it means my waist are one size, my hips are a second, and my thighs (haha!) are a third. So now I order really big size skirts and have them taken in so that they don't gape at the waist. And then later I'll have to take them in again because they're too big around the thighs

As for the top half...oh dear. It's hard finding stuff that defines my waist well but also has enough fabric to accommodate my boobs
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:17 PM   #28  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i feel your pain on the boobs issue ... i think that contributes to me looking top heavy ...
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:40 AM   #29  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUNKEY_MUNKEY View Post
i feel your pain on the boobs issue ... i think that contributes to me looking top heavy ...
Yup.

I like stores like Bravissimo (http://www.bravissimo.com/) because they make clothing for big-bosomed ladies as well as underwear. I'm sure there are similar stores in the US and such.

On the whole I think I like being an hourglass (but yea, I need to get used to it and "accept" it if you like), but I'm looking forward to it being a bit more "even".
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote