imagining myself skinny

• So I was reading an article that said if you imagine yourself skinny while you exercise you will get more out of the workout and be less likely to sabatage (sorry about the spelling) yourself. Well the quandry is i've been fat my whole life, I can't even begin to imagine myself thin because I have nothing to draw from.
  • Hmmm. I don't know if that's really the best way to motivate yourself.

I usually just tell myself that I want to be able to walk into any store and find my size...or something like that. I find that more motivating!
  • Try going to www.myvirtualmodel.com, you can adjust the model to look like yourself and even put your head on the body. Then adjust the weight... I hope this helps.
  • True. If you have read The Secret, apply those principles towards your weight loss! I have been trying to be positive when I work out and noticed I am not as sore as I usualy am.

Picture what size you would like to be in...I try to picture myself in a size lower by Halloween. I have lost weight but my old clothes are just fitting right...I want to be able to go in a store and get a 20 no problems...It has been a few years since I have worn a 20 anything! lol Good luck
  • I know what you mean, I've always been fat too.

To be honest, I don't really use the "visualisation" method (but this isn't to say that it won't be helpful to you!). My gym sessions with the PT are in front of this enormous mirror and the first time I worked out there...UGH! I still shudder at the memory.

But you know, I'm slowly getting used to what I actually look like. I've been avoiding that image for so long, but I think coming to terms with it is the first step (or one of the first steps) to transforming myself.
  • I've been using the Paul McKenna 'I Can Make You Thin' techniques and he suggests that you imagine yourself slim, and then imagine moving in your thin body and going about your everyday life in your slim body.

Now I'm the same as you OP, I've always been fat. So Paul suggests you imagine yourself just a little bit slimmer. So I focus on body parts - I imagine wearing a dress I saw today, a little red strapless dress, with a black tux jacket, heels and sparkly high heels. I imagine thinner legs, and a little waist, and a visible collarbone.

Or imagine yourself doing something you find difficult now, but which will be easier once you've lost a bit of weight. I imagine myself going hillwalking, or climbing the stairs to my flat (which is on the top floor of a high building), sprinting up and then getting to the stairs without being out of breath.

Or sometimes - when I'm really wanting to motivate myself - I imagine how great sex will be once I'm thinner and more confident.

Try taking it bit by bit, rather than imagining it all in one go.
  • I think of myself playing tennis with Serena Williams (my imaginary wife) while I work out. It keeps me going.
  • When I run (or attempt to, hahahah), I can feel the fat on my behind shaking. I imagine that the fat is melting off with each shake. I imagine that my legs are firm and smooth instead of jiggly. I think of pictures of fit girls I have seen, both here and in running magazines, and imagine that my hips and thighs are as slim as theirs.

I think it helps to keep myself focused.