Old 09-06-2009, 03:36 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I like calorie_count.com's "recipe analyzer" to figure out calorie counts on cooked items with multiple ingredients in it.

Based on 12 servings, it comes to about 65 calories per serving.

Windchime, barley is found together with the dried beans.

CanadianCutie I'm glad you liked it! As far as the sodium, luckily I don't have high blood pressure (anymore, yay!!!) and since I eat minimal amounts of processed or restaurant foods, where I believe massive quantities of sodium is found, I'm never concerned about the sodium content in my homemade cooking.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-06-2009 at 03:36 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:36 AM   #17  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
I make a different large batch of soup every week.
I love this idea! I just made Glory's Minestrone Soup--and it's been fabulous having that on hand.

I just wish I'd remembered to pick up a cabbage today while I was out shopping!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:43 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

Awesome soup, Robin! Made a big batch with the college daughter this afternoon - along with a big batch of chicken and noodle. She is trying to get in the habit of taking her lunch with her since she works in admissions between classes now. Turned out yummy! Do you have anymore soup recipes to share???
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

Oh Traci, I'm so glad you liked it.

The problem with my soup recipes, is that I don't have exact amounts, since I basically make them up myself. So it's hard to put it down in writing....
Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #20  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Another fan, here, Rockin' Robin. My husband enjoyed it, too. I only had one celery stalk, so I threw that in and added the extra carrots. I also added a pinch of coriander and cardamon--oh and I substituted a (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes for one can of tomato sauce (and therefore used the flour to thicken).

And it turns out my son likes raw cabbage--who knew? Maybe he'll eat some of that instead of taco chips when he wants something to crunch!

I wouldn't worry about exact amounts, really. Ratios are fine!

Do you read Mark Bittman's column on food online at the New York Times (on-line)?
Here's a link: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/

He's not much into specific amounts, either! I just finished reading his latest book: Food Matters and I highly, highly recommend it. Lots of recipes for plants!

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 09-07-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 AM   #21  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Tomato Cabbage Barley Soup

4 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 medium green cabbage, sliced
OK, I'm planning to make this tomorrow -- I saw barley in the grocery store, was reminded of this recipe, and bought a little bag! I have a couple of questions:

Robin, you mentioned that you changed the celery from "chopped" to "sliced". Is there a difference? Does it matter? Also, when you say you "slice" the 1/2 head of cabbage--is that into bite-sized slices? Or do you just take the 1/2 head and slice it and have big long (thin) pieces of cabbage? Even though I like cabbage, I don't cook with it so I'm not quite sure how to handle it, LOL.

I can't wait to make this. I think it sounds really good.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:32 AM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
OK, I'm planning to make this tomorrow -- I saw barley in the grocery store, was reminded of this recipe, and bought a little bag! I have a couple of questions:

Robin, you mentioned that you changed the celery from "chopped" to "sliced". Is there a difference? Does it matter? Also, when you say you "slice" the 1/2 head of cabbage--is that into bite-sized slices? Or do you just take the 1/2 head and slice it and have big long (thin) pieces of cabbage? Even though I like cabbage, I don't cook with it so I'm not quite sure how to handle it, LOL.

I can't wait to make this. I think it sounds really good.
No diffference from chopped to sliced. It's just that I DO slice it. I guess I just prefer that size to the chopped.

The cabbage? Not bite sized slices. I slice the 1/2 head into narrow to medium slices, not terribly thin, I like it a little bit thick-ish.

There really is no right or wrong. It's just a matter of preference. I know for me, when I first make a recipe, I then see how it turns out, and then I know how I could change it around the next time to suit me better. I'm sure it'll be yummy any way you slice it... Enjoy and let me know what you think of it.
Old 09-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I want to get in the habit of making more homemade soups this fall and winter, to up our veggie consumption.

I have nearly everything on hand for this. Just need some celery and cabbage, which I can get tomorrow.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:27 PM   #24  
Getting healthy!

S/C/G: 275/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

This sounds really yummy. I can't do the barley but think it might be really tasty with beans instead- maybe navy or pinto beans? It would up the calories a bit, but beans are such a good source of protein and fiber that I wouldn't complain about that.

Going to see if I have the stuff to make it on hand.

~Onyx
enchantedonyx is offline   Reply With Quote