Old 09-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alana in Canada View Post
I did like this line from the Newsweek article:
Quote:
Geier notes that even the most rigorous behavioral programs result in at most about a 12.5 percent decrease in weight,
At most, at most?

At most, at most?

How many of us are already a testament to this not being true?
I suspect it was a badly written sentence or a reporter who isn't great with statistics. Most likely, 12.5% is the highest *average* weight loss reported by studies.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-04-2009 at 02:44 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:23 PM   #17  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

I've recently noticed more prejudice towards fat people. I go to a university which must have, at the very most, a population which is 99% healthy- or under-weight. Being part of that 1% makes you very stigmatised, some of which almost feels subconscious.

I was in a public bathroom the other day, where there were three cubicles, all of which were free. When I left the cubicle I was in, there was a queue of two or three women, all of whom were slim. The first woman in the queue went to use my cubicle, but when she saw me laughed to herself and muttered 'ha, I think I'll wait'. The only reason I can think of for this is that she didn't want to use the same cubicle as a fat person.

Just a day later, I was in a public bathroom again. The toilet seat was broken and graffiti above it read: "toilet seat broken. Probably fat ****s. Hope they all die." Lovely, huh?

On top of that, I receive fairly recently unwarranted and unnecessary comments from people in the street or in everyday life, such as when I went into a pub the other day, I was due to be served by the barman, and he took one look at me and went 'woooah fatty, I'll serve you in a second' and then proceeded to serve a thin blonde girl in a tight dress. Isn't that so nasty? And this is without even mentioning how guys never ever notice me or speak to me.

The thing is, I'm not even that big!! I'm 205lbs, a UK size 14 (US size 10) and yet I get this treatment every day. I can't even imagine how different things will be 70lbs down! Anyway, rant over!
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think that outspokeness to the point of rudeness is growing. For a lot of reasons, people seem more likely to share negative opinions than in the past. I noticed the change first in online communications. Not having to look people in the eye (I'm guessing) many people found it easier to say whatever came to mind, no matter how much it might hurt someone. I think sensational talkshows (from Jerry Springer to Dr. Phil), and reality shows, showing people behaving badly (and saying what comes to mind no matter who it hurts) has contributed to a society in general that is more likely to say what's on their mind, consequences be damned.

Extreme opinions get more attention than moderate ones, so it seems that common sense is being thrown out the window. Instead of seeking reasonable, compassionate solutions to problems, witch hunts are more popular. There seems to be a growing lynch mob mentality to many social ills.

Last night, I saw on the news that a 60 year old man, irritated by a 2 year old's crying in a Walmart, told the mother to "shut her up, or I'll shut her up for you." The mother moved to another aisle to avoid the man, and he followed her and slapped the baby 4 or more times in the face.

Other shoppers surrounded the man and refused to let him leave while the police were called (On the plus-side, I'm not sure that this would have happened 30 years ago. People were expected to mind their own business to a larger degree).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #19  

Height: 5'11"

I agree with Kaplods that expressing rudeness in public seems to be more prevalent than in years past, although as a very tall woman I have gotten my share of nasty comments as far as 30 years ago when I was very slim. Strangers would feel compelled to remark rudely about my height; once when I was a clerk in a dime store, a customer looked me up and down, lauged, and said, "Boy, your parents must feed you good. What do you eat?" He kept pressing me and I could feel my face get hotter and hotter. Back in the 1970's in my small town, a 5'11" girl was pretty unusual--now they're a dime a dozen, so I hope that my tall younger sisters don't get the flack that I got.

It's even worse now. I hear people making rude comments about others all the time and it's so hurtful and unecessary. I just don't get why some people feel that it's OK to be hurtful and rude to a perfect stranger.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #20  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

To play the devil's advocate, so to speak, there are some truths truth in those articles.

For example, as someone who is overweight, I DO feel more comfortable eating around someone who, like me, is overweight and, therefore, not as likely to judge me...I did as a child and do so now. Pretty? No, but it's the truth.

And that's all the dark advocacy I'm up to at the moment...

What I find disturbing, however, is the "overall" tone of the article. Yes, they tucked in a tiny little disclaimer suggesting you should not try to discourage your kids from hanging around with those who are overweight, but the overall "tone" of the article suggests you should.

Just imaging the LIFELONG emotional damage that can be done to a child!

Incredible!

S
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:24 PM   #21  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I do not think it's getting worse at all. Perhaps that's because I live in Mississippi, which has the distinction of being the fattest state in the U.S. (Hey. We're dead last in education and health care. We need to be number one at something! )

Here's a picture of my world: Hollidays (a small clothing chain akin to Fashion Bug) was having a sidewalk sale yesterday. Great prices...$40 dresses and shirts marked down to $5. I looked and looked and looked and could not find a SINGLE cute thing in size L or XL. Now, if I wore a 2X or a 3X, I would have been golden.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:02 AM   #22  
SWMBO

S/C/G: 287/258/169

Height: 5'9

I guess it would depend somewhat on your geographical location, Jennell, but also on the population.

For example, I'm on the AL/GA border, so one would think I'd be in the same boat as you, but we have a large army base and AFLAC and TSYS are headquartered here, so there are a LOT of "out of towners" in our local population.

We've seen a lot of plus-sized shops close as well as those sizes disappearing from the racks of other stores. After all, shelf/rack space in retail is limited and the stores are going to focus on what will make them the most money (it's very frustrating to have to drive 100 miles to Atlanta to shop for anything decent, KWIM?).

Just my thoughts...

Sherry
sherrybwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:13 AM   #23  

S/C/G: Before:201 Now:178 Goal: 150

Height: 5'1

I completely agree with Sherrybwc..it's totally the tone. I mean, a lot of the article's content was proven fact...it's the phrases such as

"Socializing with overweight people can change what we perceive as the norm; it raises our tolerance for obesity both in others and in ourselves"

Socializing with overweight people! Like overweight people are another species or something. Ridiculous.

This article suggesting that the way to solve the obesity epidemic in this country is to stop associating with overweight people is just a sign that we have bigger problems here.
VarsityQuidditch is offline   Reply With Quote