How much weight loss before you see a difference?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've lost around 10 lbs, although I'm still not convinced isn't a fluke. I'm not doing a big program like a lot of you are, but I'm taking small steps with diet & exercise.

Anyway, how much weight did you lose before you could tell a difference, & how much before other people could tell a difference? Ten pounds at my weight & height doesn't show a difference, but I'm wondering how much will....
  • I could feel a difference at 20 pounds but I could not see a difference until I had lost 30 pounds. Comparing before and "in process" pictures can be a big help. If you have not taken "before" pictures, do it now! You will be glad. My loss has been slow and I became accustom to my looks as I went. It is only when I compare before and after pictures that I can really see the difference even now.
  • I could see a difference in myself at about fifteen pounds, but the difference at 36 pounds down is starting to be noticeable to others....
  • Hmmm.. I'm noticing some changes I've lost 16 or 17 pounds, but no one else has noticed except my "always say the right thing" hubby. He, on the other hand, has lost 26 pounds and EVERYONE notices! It's kind of a huge slap in the face for me, but I'm proud of him.
  • I could feel the difference at about 20 pounds. It was cool when I could fit into airplane seats and car seats comfortably at about 50 pounds down.

Nobody has commented on my weight loss except for those that know I'm doing it (except for 1 person). There is a difference that I can see...my clothes are about 4 sizes smaller and I have more energy.

I've just decided that getting to goal is the only way people will notice or make comments -- and even then I don't expect anything. It's really all about how I feel anyway.
  • People didn't notice until around 30-40lbs honestly, but then again I saw them everyday. People I only see occasionally noticed faster. I still don't see differences myself, only in pictures.
  • It was about 60 lbs with me but then I started at closer to 400 pounds.
  • Quote:
    Nobody has commented on my weight loss except for those that know I'm doing it (except for 1 person). There is a difference that I can see...my clothes are about 4 sizes smaller and I have more energy.
    Gosh! I can't believe people haven't noticed... fifty pounds is a HUGE achievement.

A lot of people don't mention it to me, but when I mention it they say "I noticed but I didn't want to say anything..."

Also, it's true that when people haven't seen you every day they notice right away!
  • My family (who know I am doing it) say they can see a difference but I can't see it on myself yet. I can feel it in the way my clothes fit but I can't see it. None of my coworkers whom I see everyday have noticed yet.
  • Just because your coworkers aren't saying anything doesn't mean they haven't noticed. Several people only commented when they have seen me get my mayo on the side a couple of times. Only then do they feel safe to mention anything about my having lost weight. So I think that lots of times people notice, but don't comment out of politeness.
  • Well, I should say that when I go to work I tell everyone I see "I've lost XX amount of weight" and then I do a twirly thing so that they can see every inch of me... no wonder they've noticed.

One of the great things about getting older is that you don't embarrassed so easily any more
  • Ubergirl - you're hilarious! I am hoping that I'll lose a ton of weight, everyone will notice & be in awe, but not actually say anything to me - I don't want the attention!!
  • I could see some small changes at about 15 pounds, started noticing some significant things at about 30. Now I am noticing something new almost every day - it's great. My hubby person noticed before me. Though he noticed more with his hands than his eyes, lol.
  • Over the past week or so a couple of colleagues have noticed, I think without knowing (that is, other colleagues know that I'm losing weight, but I don't know if they've been talking about it). I'm just shy of 20lbs down and started at 248lbs.
  • I have lost almost 20 pounds(eeeek!) and my experience seems different: I can't see the weight loss but others have been telling me that they can tell I have lost weight. And I am about a size and a half smaller than I was!