Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

It's worse when you DID have a lap band put in... I got one two Novembers ago, and it did absolutely nothing. Apparently a device that controls fullness doesn't really matter when you're ignoring your fullness anyway.

Since March, I've lost 45 lbs through sheer effort, counting calories, and exercise. Very proud of myself. Of course, every time I visit my mom, it's "Seeeee, the lap band is finally paying off!"

*grumble grumble*
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:23 PM   #17  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post

Both my GP and my surgeon told me that it was "basically impossible" for someone my size to lose weight.

To them, I say HA!
Me too! My doctors words were, "It's next to impossible to get off all the weight that you'll need to without surgery", while she made a very disappointed and doubting face.

And sooo many people start talking to me as if I've had the surgery. They don't even ask if I did, just launch straight into the surgery talk.

Quote:
Yes, World. It is possible to lose weight without surgery or diet pills.
Well now maybe that nurse will know it!!! Although she probably thinks you're some oddity or something . Congratulations. Must have felt MARVELOUS.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:50 PM   #18  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Congratulations on your success! You're doing so well.

I've gotten these comments too regarding surgery. I'd also been told by both a doctor and a nurse practitioner that the only way I could get my weight off would be through surgery.
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM   #19  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

I think most of us have or will experience these questions and the disbelief that follows the answers. My sister went from a size 20 to a size 0, in roughly 5 months, however, she's a drug addict. All I hear from my mama is how quickly my sister took it off and how mine seems to be taking me forever. Well.....YEAH?

What I like most about your post was how obvious it was the nurse wasn't really LISTENING to you. You said the same thing three times before she tuned in, which is just sad.
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:02 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Kittibuck View Post
It's worse when you DID have a lap band put in... I got one two Novembers ago, and it did absolutely nothing. Apparently a device that controls fullness doesn't really matter when you're ignoring your fullness anyway.

Since March, I've lost 45 lbs through sheer effort, counting calories, and exercise. Very proud of myself. Of course, every time I visit my mom, it's "Seeeee, the lap band is finally paying off!"

*grumble grumble*

I appreciate your honesty.This has been a burning question in my mind...how does wls work if the issue that causes the overeating has not been fixed?
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #21  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

What a wonderful check up! Congrats on the BP

It really gets to me that medical professionals have bought into the whole weight loss surgery.
Must be loads of money to be made
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

Taking the opposing side....I think the medical profession often thinks that way because they don't see too many people trying it the 'old fashioned' way with any long lasting results.

I have an old fashioned PA (young girl by the way) who has been encouraging me to eat less and move more. I was the one who didn't think I could do it. I've read some pretty depressing statistics about how low the numbers are for those who maintain a permanent weight loss. As a matter of fact I left my last visit with a referral for a local dr. who performed wt. loss surgery. It was only when I went online looking for info that I found this site and found myself inspired by those of you doing it and maintaining without surgical intervention, that I postponed my plans to pursue surgery.

Anyway....that's my take on things. Congrats to all who are winning the battle without surgery!

Last edited by ANewCreation; 09-01-2009 at 05:10 PM.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 291/159.8/150

Height: 5' 6"

Thumbs up

Congratulations!!!
fjcinzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

Height: 5'8"

I know, I am very open about my weight loss and people always ask me "what's your secret?" I tell them "calorie counting and exercise" and they don't seem so excited.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:15 PM   #25  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadebatdog View Post
I know, I am very open about my weight loss and people always ask me "what's your secret?" I tell them "calorie counting and exercise" and they don't seem so excited.
YEs, I get the same reaction. They lose interest very quickly when I tell them the big secret is that there is no secret.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
It's not an easy thing to do, but dang the concept is simple. Geez. Do you think they are that ignorant.. or maybe making money is on their priority list? I would hate to think making money would come before honest advice... especially for the medical profession.
I think the primary care doctors are not saying that for money. They don't make money off the surgery. They should still do better. But I think it's the numbers of people they see day in and day out, years on end, who don't do anything, that makes them jaded. Combined with not having the training or time to offer much else.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-01-2009 at 07:27 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:34 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

I'd have to agree, I've found over my years that doctors and nurses often know as little about nutrition as the rest of us but WTG and that must have been awesome!
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #28  

Actually money is made by more than just the WLS surgeons themselves.A clinic of physicians consist of many many specialties.They are usually stock holders in the clinic.They all make money off of each other.....sad but true.Bottom line, it is a business.
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrismm View Post
Actually money is made by more than just the WLS surgeons themselves.A clinic of physicians consist of many many specialties.They are usually stock holders in the clinic.They all make money off of each other.....sad but true.Bottom line, it is a business.
Yes, but the vast majority of us do not have a primary care physician with financial connections to a weight loss clinic. YMMV.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:16 PM   #30  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Congrats on your success! It's funny how puzzled she was! You go girl!
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote