Body Changes?

• So, I work out, at least 5 days a week, cardio, 30-45 mins each day, plus weights 4 times a week, using a split routine. I drink oodles of water and overall eat healthily. Here's my meh moment. I notice, as I get out of the shower or even while in the shower, "Oooohhh, nice muscle tone, look at how your shoulders, ribs, breasts are changing"...(I know we all do this, feel for changes), anyway, then I step out of shower, right smack into a full length mirror, and it's always this blazing revelation, that yeah I AM changing, but the skin, and sag and blech is still there. Genetics and claims made by companies tryin to sell me stuff, aside, does it EVER go away? I know I've been losing weight slowly, actually stopping and pausing every 20-25 lbs lost. Mainly for maintaining and allowing my mind to do an adjustment, self check etc. Mental health pause that works for me. But seriously, some of you ladies who have lost alot of weight or maybe even maintaining, how is it 6 mos, 12 mos afterwards? and Yeah, I'd rather look sexy in clothes than fat naked, but, yeah STILL.....
  • I know Robin has a great post about the extra skin.. I don't have it bookmarked or I would share it.

My cousin had weightloss surgery last year. She lost TONs of weight really really fast and looks worse to me now than she did at 300+ pounds because of all the hanging skin. I asked her about it and she said it's finally starting to tighten up some (almost a year after she lost all the weight). I think I have heard that it will tighten some over time, but not to expect miracles.
  • There's one part of my body I'm concerned about... that lower pooch if ya know what I mean... I don't think it'll ever just "go away", even if I get down to 120 (which I'm REALLY not aiming for to be honest).... by that point it'd probably just be a totally empty sack of skin.

I've decided that if that happens, I WILL save up and get it removed. Otherwise, for the most part... every other part of my body/skin seems to be adjusting well..... thankyouJESUS!
  • Yeah, that 'meat apron' is a concern of mine as well, I have however, notice a great amount of upward movement, its not so in my lap, yanno? The concern for me there, is the mulitple surgeries, with a cellulitis infection in the wound track in my sons c-section followed by an emergancy appendectomy. There's alot of scar tissue there, that I can not only feel now, but see. I'm hoping it'll start to break down with the additional exercise. If not, my OB told me if I decided to have another he'd be happy to trim a bit of it up while he's repairing the c-section, so we'll see.
  • I just had my 4th and final section. I know no matter how much I lose I will never ever be out in a bikini.. and honestly if I had never gained weight, I wouldn't have been out in a bikini either, it's just not my style so no big deal for me. With this last section the dr went in through the bottom of my apron instead of using my old scar (long story but it was for the best), so now I have 2 sections of scar tissue, but I'm fine with that, my kids make it soooooo worth it!
  • I'm pretty aprehensive about this too. Saggy skin on the upper arms, thighs, belly (yeah, the Meat apron, I know what ya mean, 3 preganancies and 2 kids later...I no longer remember NOT having one).
    I used to even use this as an excuse for not losing weight...I don't want to end up the human shar pei!! Ewww!! I've gotten over that, obviously, and the advice I've gotten (from the health coach, dr and former fatties) hydrate and moisturize, moisturize, moistureize. Cocoa butter is supposed to be great for improving skin elasticity (didn't help my streach marks but with my genes there was no stopping them), so I went out and bought a HUGE bottle of Sauve Cocoa Lotion. After my workout shower each day I do a quick lotion over. It may not stop the sagging after all is said and done but least I know I'll have baby soft skin that smells oh so yummy!
  • I have noticed the slight changes in my body that exercise and weight-loss are giving me, and I'm loving it! I do worry that my stomach won't flatten like I want it to, but truthfully I can't give that much thought. Having this enormous stomach that sticks out and having to wear plus size clothes is worse than any sagging skin will ever be. As I've said before, there are numerous body-shapers that will make my clothes look great once I get this weight off.
  • From what everyone here on 3FC has shared, there is just no guarantee of how much excess skin you'll have. This all depends on the health of your skin, your age and your genetics. Some are luckier with this and some are not. I've had 4 abdominal surgeries,two pregnancies, I'm 45 and my stomach is huge. I'm betting that I'll never have a flat toned tummy. Yes, this thought is a bit discouraging, but I try not to focus on this too much. Weight loss offers too many other benefits to let the one downside ruin it all for me.