Old 08-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Height: 5' 2"

Default How many TOO SMALL sizes do you keep in your closet?

I've been doing some closet thinning.

Right now I'm wearing a tight size 26 in jeans, and 3X tops. I have clothes in every size all the way down to the 14 I wore when I lost a bunch of weight about 12 years ago.

At first I thought I should probably get rid of anything smaller than one size down, 24--but just my luck I'd do that, then end up (miraculously) being able to lose a bunch of sizes.

The smaller clothes I've kept are ones that I'd really like to wear someday, but since I haven't had much, if any, success in losing weight, I wonder if I'm just fooling myself, fantasizing, not being realistic, etc. by keeping so many of the other smaller sizes.

I've already held onto these clothes for 12 years. How many more years do I want them taking up space in the closet? How many more years do I "hold onto the dream" of wearing them again? Am I jinxing myself if I do decide to get rid of everything that's smaller than one size down, as if I really don't expect to lose the weight? (That's already far too easy for me to believe.)

What have you guys done with your clothes?

Last edited by Truffle; 08-30-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:17 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 317/266.5/180

Height: 5'7"

I had clothes in my closet that were 3 sizes smaller than what I wear. Honestly, I gave them to friends and family who could wear them. I hated having those clothes in my closet. Every time I looked at them, and they were still to small for me to wear, I felt like I had been slapped in the face. After all my months of hard work, the clothes that I had held on to didnt fit. I feel like its better to get rid of the clothes, because no matter how well I'm doing and how hard I'm working for this change, the clothes reminded me of other failed attempts. No more failure, this is it. This is the time for the change. You can do this, we all can. When you get to your goal, and you can wear those sizes again, go out and buy new clothes, to show off the new shape. You go girl!
possiblesuccess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:19 PM   #3  

Height: 5'11"

First off, I do believe that you can get down to a 14 again. You know how because you've done it before and if you still have doubts, then hie thee over to the Goal and Maintainers forums and take a look at the pictures of the chicks who have done the very thing you are doing--lost a bunch of weight!

Now, about the clothes. I'd probably go through them first off and make sure that they are still something that you'd WANT to wear, once you're down in that smaller size. I hung onto a pair of jeans for YEARS and when I finally got into them, they were hopelessly high-waisted and tapered at the ankles! I could zip them, but I would need a FlashDance t-shirt and mall bangs if I was to wear them again. LOL. So that's what I'd do first off. If they are classic pieces then I might keep them.

My sister said something interesting to me the other day. She is just starting out on her weight loss journey and she had a closet full of beautiful, professional clothing that she kept for years in the hopes of fitting back into it. Alas, it's all outdated now and she realizes that not only did she not wear the clothes, but she denied someone else the chance to wear them. She's wishing now that she had donated them when they were still in fashion (but too small for her).

I have a few things from the last time I lost weight and I can fit into most of it again. It was only a couple of years ago so I can still wear it and not be too out of date. But this time I'm not hanging on to my bigger stuff. I've got it boxed up and will be donating it. I can't wear it and there is some girl out there wishing she could find size 18 work pants at the Goodwill, so I will gift these to the thrift shop so she can find her new outfit.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #4  
Started IP: 1/16/13

S/C/G: 228.6/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 5"

I tried to keep a lot of clothes that were too small. They took up more than half my closet and made getting dressed depressing. It is hard to look at something everyday that you can't wear. I figured someone out there could use these things now, and by the time I lose the weight, who knows if they'll be in style anyway. It was hard getting rid of things - especially some things that were bought a smidge too tigh in hopes if getting into soon... then never actually getting into them. After donating everything and making room for things that actually did fit, it felt great! Now that I've lost some weight, I'm trying to get rid of the things that are too big. Now that feels really good too.
animallover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:33 PM   #5  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

I think that you should hold on to them because I believe that you can lose the weight!

Just like you, I had held on to a bunch of clothes from my last successful weight loss about 10 or 12 years ago. It has been so much fun shopping in my closet. A surprising number of the items were still OK to wear, pretty basic items. However, it has been thrilling, just thrilling, to gauge my downward path by trying on clothes. It was so motivating even when the clothes were too out-of-date to wear.

I only have two old clothing items to get into. Then I will be into my smallest clothes in 3 decades. Neither item is fit to wear out in public. One is a dress that wore to have my picture made. I am really looking forward to getting in that dress.

Keep at least some of the clothes because you can lose weight! You can do it!

Last edited by time2lose; 09-21-2009 at 09:12 AM. Reason: I do know the difference in "two" and "too"!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

If I hadn't moved around so much, I imagine I'd have kept at least two old articles of clothing; my magical size 14 jeans I had when I was 19, and a frilly shirt I had around the same time (I do wish I knew what happened to them, even now that I'm 33 and they're probably way out of style, lol). Other than that, well, it's really been too long for me to even remember what I wore when I was a smaller size; I was never smaller for long and it's been a good ten years since I've even been down to the 22 I'm at right now.

Although I must admit that I have a handful of clothes that are slightly too snug for me now that I'm sure I'd be much more comfortable wearing after another 10-15 pounds (these would be clothes I bought off the rack without trying on in the past year or two).

But honey, don't hand yourself a bunch of "ifs." When I kept giving myself those "ifs" and negative thoughts, nothing happened. Now I give myself some very positive "whens" and actually see myself making progress.

You can lose the weight. You hold the power if you choose it. Give yourself the knowledge, the credit, the want, the need. It can happen if you think positively, make and track goals, and take it one day at a time.

We're all with you.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

Last summer, I finally purged my closet. I had every size from 20 to 8 crammed in there. I kept my formal gowns because I loan them to girls for Prom every year. I kept my wedding dress. I kept a black size 12 sheath dress because it's a classic piece. I donated everything else to Goodwill, including my winter coats that were much too small.

I donated my stuff because I figured I would never lose weight again. Then my mom got sick, and the rest is history. I've lost almost 50 lbs. since January 1, and I plan to continue to be successful. I don't regret giving away the clothes.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #8  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

When I gained all this weight (100 lbs in 6 months, in 2003) I boxed up all my 14s and 16s and put them in the basement. When I began this journey last August I washed them all and hung them up in the basement where I could see them, and put a couple of inspirational outfits on my closet door. I progressed downward from 32/5X to where I am now--16/18--and enjoyed shopping in my basement when I got small enough.

The original question, well, the smallest thing I have in my closet right now is a size 12 leather blazer. It's actually more of an 8/10 though, because my mother bought it in Mexico in the 1970s. I don't know if I will ever be able to wear it because even at my smallest my shoulders may not fit, but who knows. I can't wait to try.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:45 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

A few years ago, I got rid of almost everything I owned below a 20. I had some of the cutest things in 12, 14, 16...even some half decent stuff in 18. I was tired of having it in my closet, it was this daily reminder of how much weight I had gained. I was depressed looking at it, could not get it together to lose weight, so I got rid of all of it. Now, I am back in those sizes, do not have the money to buy new stuff so I have nothing to wear. I wear the same two tired pairs of pants and five shirts every week. My opinion, if you have the space...KEEP IT! If it's clogging your closet, do you have somewhere you could store it (attic, extra closet), maybe fold it up in a plastic tote or one of those space bags. That way you don't have to work around it, but it's there for when you need it.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #10  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truffle View Post
What have you guys done with your clothes?
I have gotten rid of all my big clothes as I get smaller, I do, however, purchase things in a smaller size if I find something really cute, it's just a size smaller to give me incentive to fit into them. I have quite a few fall and winter clothes waiting for me. As soon as something gets loose on me, it's gone forever.I got rid of all else a couple of years ago when I moved.

Last edited by Ryanne; 08-30-2009 at 07:48 PM.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Truffle
I read your post the other day, 155 by 55. It was very inspiring to me. Yes, you can do this. It's one day at a time. I'm amazed at myself. One day at a time, I have accumulated 1/3 of this entire year pretty much OP. It adds up, and results happen.

As to clothes, I went through my closets in March. Since I had already lost weight I got rid of things too big. I'm not going back this time around. I have a batch of clothes, mostly from thrift stores, that pretty much fit right now.+- a few pounds. I kept those. I kept about 10 items that had not fit for years because they were really favorites that I would really really like to wear again.

I'M ALREADY WEARING SEVERAL OF THESE ITEMS THAT HAVEN'T FIT FOR 10 YEARS!!!!

For me, once I got down to the lower end of the X's(20X) the smaller sizes seem doable. I don't think I'll ever see 12 again but 14 might be doable.

Do what you want with your clothes but don't let go of the fact that you can do this!!

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I cleaned out everything too small that is out of style and gave it to goodwill. I put the rest in spacebags (those bags in the infomercial that you suck the air out of with your vaccuum to save space) out in my storage closet for when I get to that size. That way it isn't there reminding me of what I can't wear every day, but I'll save some money on new clothes as I'm losing. (The smallest size I have is a 16 or 18, so they'll just be transitional clothes on my way to goal).

As far as what you should do with yours, if you like them keep them. You CAN get into them again. Don't let your age, how far you have to go, how many times you've failed before, or anything else be an excuse.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-30-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:12 PM   #13  
Getting back to it!

S/C/G: 323/see ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

I have moved twice in the past 6 years. Both times I purged clothes in smaller sizes from 8 to 20. I have been in 22/24s and a few 26s for a couple solid years now. I just always had hope that I would lose weight and fit into everything again.

I kept anything that wasnt trendy and out of style...so jeans, a few sweaters and tops that are classic and of course thousands of dollars worth of suits for work! uggghhh. I keep the suits in my closet, however everything else I couldnt wear has been stored in sealed clothing racks in my basement.

Long story short, I never thought I would be getting out of my 22/24/26s, but now I have been pulling clothes from storage!! In 18s and 20s now, and looking forward to seeing 16 by the new year!

So IMO, I think you should definitely purge anything that is out of style, but hang on to those classic timeless garments. Besides the fact that it saves a little money in these hard times by not having to rush out and buy new clothes with each size loss, but it will be a nice marker of your achievements as you lose weight and drop those sizes! I like trying on the next size down just to see how close I am. It's motivational for me. And also, as soon as things get too big...donate them! Out of sight out of mind..no turning back! You can do this!! You really can
motivatedbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I don't keep or buy clothes in a smaller size hoping I will be able to wear them. I have found when I do that , they don't look as good as I thought they would. I have given away all clothes too big or too small. I only have clothes in my closet that fit me now.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/256/not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
First off, I do believe that you can get down to a 14 again. You know how because you've done it before and if you still have doubts, then hie thee over to the Goal and Maintainers forums and take a look at the pictures of the chicks who have done the very thing you are doing--lost a bunch of weight!

My sister said something interesting to me the other day. She is just starting out on her weight loss journey and she had a closet full of beautiful, professional clothing that she kept for years in the hopes of fitting back into it. Alas, it's all outdated now and she realizes that not only did she not wear the clothes, but she denied someone else the chance to wear them. She's wishing now that she had donated them when they were still in fashion (but too small for her).
The last time I lost 50lbs, I was not hypothyroid and could lose normally just by cutting down and walking a lot. I've been hypothyroid for nearly 12 years now, am post-menopausal, and it seems nearly impossible for me to lose an ounce without taking drastic measures, such as going on strict low carb. That's why I don't have confidence that I can do it again--I only have a little droplet of hope that I might be able to.

What your sister said makes a lot of sense. I don't want to deny somebody else the chance of making use of something I can't, so this is good to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
A few years ago, I got rid of almost everything I owned below a 20. I had some of the cutest things in 12, 14, 16...even some half decent stuff in 18. I was tired of having it in my closet, it was this daily reminder of how much weight I had gained. I was depressed looking at it, could not get it together to lose weight, so I got rid of all of it. Now, I am back in those sizes, do not have the money to buy new stuff so I have nothing to wear. I wear the same two tired pairs of pants and five shirts every week. My opinion, if you have the space...KEEP IT! If it's clogging your closet, do you have somewhere you could store it (attic, extra closet), maybe fold it up in a plastic tote or one of those space bags. That way you don't have to work around it, but it's there for when you need it.
This is another reason I hesitate at getting rid of too much. I do not have the money to go out and buy a new wardrobe. The way things are going with the economy, who knows, one of these days even shopping second hand might be out of our reach. I'll have to give this some more thought, and see where my comfort level is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post
Truffle
I read your post the other day, 155 by 55. It was very inspiring to me. Yes, you can do this. It's one day at a time. I'm amazed at myself. One day at a time, I have accumulated 1/3 of this entire year pretty much OP. It adds up, and results happen.

I'M ALREADY WEARING SEVERAL OF THESE ITEMS THAT HAVEN'T FIT FOR 10 YEARS!!!!
I'm glad you found my post inspiring. You are doing VERY WELL! Your progress is inspiring to me.

Thanks for all the interesting suggestions on this thread. I tend to be a "minimalist", so I hate having a closet packed with clothes I can't wear. My dh also yo-yo's with his weight, so we both have several size ranges stuffed away that we can't wear.

I have a couple of dresses that my dh likes on me, but I don't like. They make me feel pregnant, and I avoid wearing them. They've only been worn a couple of times, and aren't something I'd wear again, so I'll definitely pass those along to someone else.

I definitely want to hang onto my pair of Jr size 9 bell bottoms from 1974, just for old times' sake.

Everything else...I'll still have to decide about...
Truffle is offline   Reply With Quote