Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 AM   #1  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Default What's the truth about metabolism and meal frequency?

Like I mean is there some concensus about whether it matters if you eat 6 meals a day or 3? I'm finding mixed messages online as to whether it really matters.

I calorie count and usually stay within my target range (1300-1500). However, I notice that many people on here eat 5-6 times a day to boost their metabolism and I have to admit, I'm a 3 meals a day (b, l & d or l, s & d) kind of gal (and that's an effort bcos I can cook but I don't love food prep), and I guess I'm worrying that I'm messing up my metabolism or not hitting my full potential or something and wondering what the deal is with meal frequency and metabolism.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:32 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I've tried the grazing method but I prefer the size of meals in a 3 a day plan.

I sometimes put in a fruit snack mid morning, mid afternoon but that's as far as I'll go.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:23 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

For me, it seems to be more psychological. I eat 6+ times a day - it's like a continual graze. This is very different from before being on plan where I would eat 2-3 times and large meals.

By eating so often yet very small meals, it helps me when I do go out or off plan, because I get to feeling full with less food. Now, I'm used to only eating about 1-1.5 cups of food at any given time. Additionally, I don't feel too deprived because I am almost constantly (every 2-3 hours) eating something.

I am not sure if it really is changing or helping the metabolism. I have seen the same contridictions on the web. When it comes to fitness and weight management there seems to be no "true" answer. Possibly this is because there are so many factors involved.

Last edited by quiffy; 08-13-2009 at 03:24 AM.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #4  
Geek and like it.

Location: i am neither greek nor athenian, but a citizen of the world.

I think in the long run it makes very little difference. It's really calories over a week that counts - the body doesn't instantly process everything you eat. You may see a difference on the scales if you eat a big meal last thing at night, but it will be undigested food and water retention largely. If you're losing steadily on 3 meals a day, why fix what ain't broken? I'm on maintenance but I personally find that when I need to lose, if I stay within my calorie limits I lose over a week whatever time of the day I eat.
Me23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:05 AM   #5  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I like the 5 to 6 meals a day thing because like someone said above... I feel full with a lot less now, but when I get those "I kinda wanna eat something for no reason" feeling... it's okay cos it's time to eat anyways!

Plus, when I eat the heavy 3 meals a day I tend to feel really weighed down and lethargic afterwards... and it's totally great/amazing to not feel that way anymore!

It's worked for me... but everyone's different. I suppose you probably go by whatever works for you the best.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:31 AM   #6  
That's me!

S/C/G: 270/251/150

Height: 5'

Thanks for asking this question Toasted! I have been wondering the same thing during the past few days!
Phenomenal Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I'm pretty sure that as with pretty much EVERYTHING weight-loss related, there is evidence to support both sides of the arguement. The only "truths" in weight loss are:

1. You have to expend more calories than you consume;
2. You have to live differently if you want to lose weight; and
3. Exercise is a good thing to do.

EVERYTHING else is completely debatable, including your question! I can find a huge number of studies showing that 5-6 meals a day is "better" for your metabolism. I can find an equal number of studies that show that it makes no real difference. I can find a huge number of studies that claim that metabolism is permanently affected if you do X, and an equal number that claim otherwise.

I think that what we all need to keep in mind is that whatever you choose to do has to work for you. And you need to be consistent and patient. It doesn't really matter what the "truth" is as long as it works for you. And to keep your eye on the overall picture, because sometimes trying to figure out all the details can distract you from the task at hand. I mean, details are important, but I don't think anyone has the "truth", so to speak, and sometimes the details we want answers to aren't as important in the long run...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-13-2009 at 09:35 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:11 AM   #8  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Growing up, I rarely ate breakfast cuz I was never hungry in the early morning (mostly my school life). Then, later on, I became a 3 meals/day kind of person (and I still am deep down). I still cannot eat anything before 7 am at least.

When I started on my WL journey I read everywhere that eating every few hours keeps your metabolism going and is beneficial for WL. So, I tried eating 5-6 small meals every few hours. But honestly, I could not do it. I felt I was constantly eating. I was eating small meals (B/S/L/S/D) for several months and it was getting tiresome for me. For the past few months, I've been doing - B/L/S/D - and sometimes late night snack if I am low on calories. Honestly, I feel better mentally and physically this way. I usually get hungry in the afternoons, hence, eating a small snack helps to keep me full till dinner. I workout before dinner too so that afternoon snack helps me keep energized for my exercise.

I agree, if what you're doing is working for you then I would continue with it. I believe the key is to eat every few hours rather than eating once a day or something like that. Every person's body is different. My husband feels better eating small meals every 2 to 2.5 hours. I don't. I can't eat every 2 hours.

Last edited by pintobean; 08-13-2009 at 09:16 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:26 AM   #9  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I don't know what kind of medical difference it makes, but I do know eating 5-6 times a day makes me feel like I'm eating all the time, which does tend to help me mentally with the whole thing, I think.

I would say go with whatever works for you and just readjust and try something new if you find it's not working as you'd like to.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #10  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Do what feels right for you and helps you best.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastedsmoke View Post
I guess I'm worrying that I'm messing up my metabolism or not hitting my full potential or something and wondering what the deal is with meal frequency and metabolism.
Then France and lots of other cultures have messed up their metabolism en masse

Really, I think it makes a much bigger difference how well your pattern suits you, makes it easy to stay on plan, makes you happy, and keeps you from obsessing about food.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

I'm always a little dismayed to hear that one has to eat 5-6 times a day or their metabolism will plummet because for me it's simply impossible. I can eat every couple of hours up until the time I go to work at 2:00pm but once I'm at work I'm gowned up in a surgical clean room and can come out only once for dinner at 7:00 pm then it's back inside for the remainder of the night. I don't get to have snacks, I don't even get to have drinks of water! But it is what it is and I figure I'll simply have to figure out how to lose weight with my 3 meals a day. Other people do it and so can I!
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #13  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I have never put much thought into my metabolism and ways to boost it lol

I eat breakfast, sometimes a morning snack which in turn I'll pick at all day since it's usually something like cherries or 94%ff popcorn, lunch, sometimes an afternoon snack, dinner and ice cream after dinner Sounds like a lot but I stay within my calorie budget. I've never noticed a difference when I do or don't snack either. It must be working though!

So just do what works for you
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #14  

Height: 6'1

Do what works for you. I think different people are going to have successes with each of the methods. I personally like to snack a little between meals, but for some that can backfire.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

i think you should keep doing what your doing-you have lost alot great job!

for me, eating 5-6 times helps with the "random hungries"..and i just work better eating every couple of hrs, but i think you should stick to what you can and what your body likes best
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote