Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #1  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Question Yoga, anyone?

So has anyone here in our weight category tried yoga?

The adult ed classes here in our town are offering a two month course for $75 by a well known yoga instructor every tuesday. I've been wanting to learn yoga for a long time, but I really hate DVDs so I've wanted to take a class. I really want to learn for the stress and health benefits, as well as the toning. Seeing as I usually work midnights on Mondays, and then don't wake up until about 5 or 6 pm and the class is at 8... it'd fit really well in my schedule for a low impact extra day of exercise (or whatever it is).

I'm seriously considering.... but I'm wondering is if any of you who are around my size have ever tried it. Did you have any difficulties? How did you like it? Did it do anything for you?

Last edited by starfishkitty; 08-20-2009 at 08:16 PM.
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #2  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I've done dvd's and the yoga on the wii and it was doable. I'm much bigger than you too.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

YES! I started yoga at around 200 lbs. And, I'm so glad I did! I started with DVDs and then moved to the wii and finally added in a live class or two (DIL is a certified instructor, but lives in CA).
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 290/280/150

Height: 5' 7"

I tried yoga when I was at your starting weight. It was great. That was a about a year ago. I still do it now and again and my weight has gone up considerably. I say take the class. It is so relaxing. I think that's what keeps me sane. Don't even let the weight get in the way. Just do it. You'll come out of every session refreshed.
jrsygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:06 AM   #5  

I strongly second jrsygrl!! I've taken yoga classes for about 3 yrs. now - don't like to miss class because you come home so relaxed but know you've had a really good work out too. Our instructor gives modifications for the different positions - you just do the ones you can and work up to the more challenging ones. It's great.
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 259/230/155

Height: 5'7"

I've just started it - but not in a class. I got a DVD called "Yoga For Inflexible People." It is great for those of us who know absolutely nothing of yoga, or who have bad knees.
matafleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 AM   #7  
Searching

Yoga is awesome at any fitness stage or weight. The thing you have to remember is respect the limitations of your body and its not a competition. And after the class is done if you want to continue your practice at home I must recommend Sara Ivanhoe's "Yoga for Dummies" and when you have improved and are ready to go with flow and ease the fabulous Shiva Rea and her Yoga Matrix (Trance Dance is fun too). Good luck!
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #8  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

Awesome! Thanks guys! I think I'm definitely going to give it a try!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #9  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

I like to do Yoga on the Wii Fit... I love it. Though, I am not flexible enough or balanced enough to do some of the positions yet. It's very relaxing though.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:26 PM   #10  
Resisting the Urge

S/C/G: 282.4/Ticker/199.9

Height: 5'8"

Yoga is amazing. Some of the poses might be harder with a little meat on your bones but you have nothing to lose. At your size you have nothing to worry about, you'll catch on quick. Enjoy!!
Essa415 is offline   Reply With Quote