S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

*hung up every item in the closet neatly after the episode tonight*
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #32  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Saw the show...seems to me that hoarding is about anxiety and security, like having all the stuff around makes these people feel that they have some sort of control in their lives. Which is odd, cause it is really the reverse. And there is absolutely NO connection with reality -- I mean, you GOTTA know at some level that having rotting pumpkins or, like on last nights episode, a bathroom FULL of used toilet paper thrown on the floor cause the toilet had been overflowing for MONTHS just isn't right. I mean, these poor people at some level MUST recognize that their lives are unmanagable and this is why they ask for help...
IMHO it is nothing about the stuff they hoard but is ALL about the underlying anxiety issues which make them hoard, and until they get sustained long-term treatment, just cleaning up the room won't make much of a difference...

SO sad, cause I didn't see much in terms of long-term treatment for these people cause they have been provided with a garbage crew and an organizer. No real mention of concurrent counselling/medication by experienced health care professionals...which makes me wonder: is this show really trying to help? Or is it another TLC/A&E freak show along the lines of "The Man Whose Arms Exploded" or "Human Spiders"...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-25-2009 at 09:53 AM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote