Super excited .. (update from my previous post)

• So in my last post from the other day i expressed my hatred for the elliptical and i simply couldn't stand it .. well the Y like i mentioned just did a 6 million dollar upgrade and got all this new equipment .. well the new (what they call) elliptical machine is horrible its like climbing stairs .. thats what i could only do like 5 mins and burned 20 cal on .. today i went down stairs to the old gym where they still have all the old equip .. got on that elliptical and rocked it .. i started out and after 3 mins i looked down and seen i had burned 50 cal (for some reason i like to go by what i burn not minutes lol is that strange??) i was like you can do another 50 and before i knew it i was cooling down and made it to a whopping 180 cal burned in 14 mins i wanted to keep going but i needed to get my daughter from dance class .. the stupid Y changed child watch hours and they dont have Friday evening hours .. lucky for me i took my niece and i sent her into the pool w/ Nicholas .. i can't wait to go back now .. lol i was gonna break for the weekend cuz i had went M-Tue-W-F but I'm thinking of getting up and going on the morning .. sorry for the long post im just SO proud of myself .. this is such a huge accomplishment i suffer from anxiety and one of the things that I have a hard time with is working out and i dont like to see my heart rate but i did it and i kept it between 180 and 185 which i think is high but im a big girl and i need to expect that for now!! oh and did i mention i had to listen to a screaming child the whole time .. a parent was waiting for their child in the dance class and her son i guess didnt want to be there he screamed and cried the whole time .. talk about stress lol
  • I agree the elliptical rocks like that. I had an elliptical addiction a while back where that was all I'd do. To me, it always feels like it goes by a lot faster than the treadmill.
  • Hon, your heart rate is too high. Please read some information about the ideal heart rate for exercise. You will actually get more weight loss benefit from keeping your heart at a lower rate.

Here's a good calculator:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tar...t-rate/SM00083

Just takes a second.

Jay
  • Is your resting heart rate high? Mine is and in exercise it gets too high as well. Now that I"ve been eating right and exercising I feel like it's come down, I am having it checked in 5 weeks.
  • yes my heart always seems to be racing .. i have mitral valve prolapse i dont know if that has anything to do with it or not .. I've been to a cardiologist numerous times .. even have had stress tests done and everything came out fine .. and on their treadmill that was on a very steep incline my heart rate got up to 200 .. they weren't concerned about it they said as long as i could breath and wasn't seeing stars i was fine .. so i try and not worry about it but its hard .. but for most of the time my heart rate was in the upper 160s lower 170s it jumped up towards the end when i was pushing myself to keep going
  • Keep in mind that a lot of machines aren't exactly accurate in the calorie burning sector.... a lot of factors go into calculating your actual calorie loss. HR, weight, age, normal activity level, etc etc etc.

I try not to go by the "calories burned" that they show... but by keeping my heart within the target "burning" zone and feeling good afterwards! (Like I've had a good work out, but not dead)