3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Does anyone else here have rapid heartbeat? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/178806-does-anyone-else-here-have-rapid-heartbeat.html)

lottie63 08-10-2009 10:41 AM

Does anyone else here have rapid heartbeat?

My resting heart rate last September was 120 bpm.

Last I checked (which was awhile ago, my heart rate thing on the elliptical is broken now) was 109, so it's coming down some with exercise.

I'd like to get it down to 90 within' the next 6 weeks. I go back for blood work for my b12 test in 6 weeks and plan on having the nurse take my pulse.

anyone else?

OnTargetforLife 08-10-2009 11:36 AM

Same here

I have been tachycardic since childhood due to a genetic thyroid disorder. I also found that as I have progressed with my cardio workouts and strengthened my heart muscle it has improved.

My max heart rate during exertion has came down approx 10-15 bpm per my polar monitor reading.

Deb

Onederchic 08-10-2009 11:46 AM

I have yet to do a "true" resting heart rate count (ya know, the whole doing it when you wake thing) but when I do my heart rate count for my fitness test on My Fitness Coach my rate is usually 48-54. This is counting for 10 seconds, they have you start with the number zero then it is multiplied by 6. Now, as to how accurate this method is, I haven't a clue but even though the numbers worried me at first, I feel GREAT, better than I have in such a long time so I believe I am okey dokey :D

cfmama 08-10-2009 12:23 PM

I have the opposite... when I was REALLY big (like 377 lbs big) my resting was around 95-100. Now it's 46-50ish. I too was worried about such a low rate but apparently it's okay.

So I think the more weight you lose the more your heart rate will come down naturally.

AbbySinthe 08-10-2009 12:50 PM

Yours is down already 10 beats a minute! That's a great improvement, and a wonderful NSV to celebrate. It shows that your overall physical health is improving. Great job! :hug:

I've never had a really rapid heartrate. It was around 74-76 before I started working out (started 60 days ago), and now it's around 70-72, so the exercise is definitely making a difference. .

Onederchic - that's how I get my heartrate. Thats how my dr does it when I go, so I'm figuring it's pretty accurate.

Onederchic 08-10-2009 01:04 PM

Thanks AbbySinthe :D :hug:

Rosinante 08-10-2009 03:40 PM

Mine's about 66.
However, I've just done a 'how old is your heart?' test, and it says my heart is 74! (I'm 54) akgh!

Idealmuse 08-10-2009 06:19 PM

I wish I would have taken mine at my highest weight. I remember it being in the low 90s at one point. Not super high, but higher then it should be.

After over 2 years of exercising with a bit of a break in the middle most days I'm in the low 50s now! I even saw 45 one day.

It will come down with cardio... how much it lowers is totally genetic though.

kiahna23 08-10-2009 06:57 PM

When I had my 4th baby and weighed 180 after his birth my heart went out of control...I had atrial fibrillation....I think thats how you spell it...My heart was way off rhythm...It was 60 and went up to 130 if I just moved...It fluctuated even if I did nothing...I had a cardio version (shocked my heart back into normal rhythm)...not sure if thats spelled correctly either...lol...Ever since then my heart jumps or I have pains sometime...SO my weightloss goals are to keep me alive because the more I weigh the more problems I have....Heart disease runs in my family...Im terrified...I pray I am ok.

Have you been checked? Not a basic blood pressure machine but a heart rate monitor? My bp is 90/60 now..only because of weightloss and Im VERY active...The doctor said I am now in great health.

lottie63 08-10-2009 07:21 PM

I just got my bp checked recently, 120/85 or somewhere around thereish.

I'm going to have them check it and my pulse when I go for my blood work in 6 weeks, hoping to see a huge improvement with all this exercise I'm doing! :D

babybluess 08-10-2009 07:53 PM

Lottie.....a high resting HR is something you will really want to talk to you doctor about. It can mean a lot of different things or nothing. Even if it turns out to be deemed ok by your doctor, you will want to work on bringing it down like you are (GOOD WORK being this proactive!)

First off when you take it while standing or when you start the elliptical it isn't a true resting HR. You should try taking it while sitting down for a number of minutes and relaxing. Use your pointer and middle finger over your wrist or your neck (I can send you a web link if you need pictures). Start recording this once a week or so.

One thing you can also change to help decrease your HR (and blood pressure) is caffeine.

...Along with having many patients with rapid HR like yours, I also have it myself. Mine is caused by breathing problems. I wasn't getting enough oxygen so my HR increased to help get as much oxygen to my body as it could. At it's worst my HR was 134 resting. Now I am down to 84 bpm. My mother on the other had had a rapid HR for a time that was actually due to a lack of magnesium in her diet. It went out of control when she had too much caffeine and not enough sleep. Hers is now back to normal.

Talk to your doctor and keep up the good work!

babybluess 08-10-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onederchic (Post 2867905)
for my fitness test on My Fitness Coach my rate is usually 48-54. This is counting for 10 seconds, they have you start with the number zero then it is multiplied by 6. Now, as to how accurate this method is, I haven't a clue but even though the numbers worried me at first, I feel GREAT, better than I have in such a long time so I believe I am okey dokey :D

Oh, to answer this and add to my post! if your rate is below 60 or above 100 you should take it for the full 60 sec so you get an accurate measure. (...We also take it for the full 60 sec if it is irregular)

lottie63 08-10-2009 08:04 PM

thanks for the info babybluess, I don't drink any caffiene really, some iced tea sometimes but that is it. I have bipolar and any stimulaants at all are bad for me! but thanksfor the info. It was high when I was sitting as well though I don't nkow how high I just remember the nurse saying "why is your heart so fast?"

lol

murphmitch 08-10-2009 08:07 PM

If it remains that high, I would ask for an EKG at my next check up. It can tell your doctor if it is high with a normal rhythm or if there are other issues causing it to run fast.

lottie63 08-10-2009 08:12 PM

I had an ekg at one point, and it was ok.