Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When I first joined 3fc and heard about the loose skin, I was kind of scared and freaked out.

Now I'm maintaining a weight loss of about 100 pounds and yep, I've got some! There are some times when it bothers me, but mostly I am just THRILLED to be able to life my life with loose skin, rather than sitting on the sidelines with firm skin and morbid obesity!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:36 PM   #17  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Loose skin is going to happen, but the good news is that most of it will go away with time. Clothes hide the skin and I'd totally choose a bit of loose skin over obesity. I already have some loose skin and I look at it as a good sign (there is no fat there anymore!).

If you are relatively young and a non-smoker, most of the loose skin will tighten up over time. It can take up to two years. Adding muscle and keeping your skin moisturized would definitely help.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #18  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

What rockinrobin said is right on the money. Perfect answer.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:46 PM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2Ms View Post
I don't know what a 150 lbs LeeAnn will look like because I've never known her. I do know that her body won't look like her 150 lbs friend who has been a runner her entire life and not had children, or her 150 lbs friend who recently had a 20 lbs weight loss, or her 150 lbs mother-in-law who lost 250 lbs through gastric by-pass.

And I'm finally okay with that. The body I have and will have will tell the story of the life I have given it. It is the body that belonged to me as an overweight little girl, obese teenager, bulimic college student, twice pregnant mother, and again obese adult. I've used it and abused it, and now I am taking care of it. What I'm left with is yet to be seen, but regardless it is mine.
I'm so glad that you've come to terms with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Now I'm maintaining a weight loss of about 100 pounds and yep, I've got some! There are some times when it bothers me, but mostly I am just THRILLED to be able to life my life with loose skin, rather than sitting on the sidelines with firm skin and morbid obesity!!
Well put, as usual. That's what I was trying to say, you just did it more succinct and to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_H View Post
Loose skin is going to happen, but the good news is that most of it will go away with time. Clothes hide the skin and I'd totally choose a bit of loose skin over obesity. I already have some loose skin and I look at it as a good sign (there is no fat there anymore!).

If you are relatively young and a non-smoker, most of the loose skin will tighten up over time. It can take up to two years. Adding muscle and keeping your skin moisturized would definitely help.
I'm really not sure about most of it going away with time. Although having maintained now for 2 years, I've definitely seen improvement. Not sure how much more improvement there is in my future. Sure I'd like some, but am beyond to pieces thrilled with the turnout, loose skin and all.

Oh and adding muscle doesn't change the skin, just what's under there.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #20  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for all the great info! I am eager to lose the weight regardless of whether or not I end up with saggy skin. As so many of you have said, it's not visible while wearing clothes. I'm losing weight mostly to feel better, be healthier and have more energy. Looking better will be an awesome bonus. I am doing weight training and will continue to do that. I can already see that I'm losing one of my chins with no saggy skin, so hopefully that will be the same with the rest of my body. I'm really striving to tone up my triceps so I don't have a double and triple wave!

Heather - I so agree with ya'. I too would much rather live my life with loose skin than sit on the sidelines with taut skin over my morbid obesity!

RockinRobin - You are an inspiration! I am so looking forward to the day when I am walking around in a slim, fit body! I can hear the confidence, stamina and energy in every word! Thank you so much!

I'm very grateful to you all!
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #21  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I can't add any that hasn't been said already

I do have loose skin but it really beats hauling around an extra 130lbs! No wonder I was so tired before
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:04 PM   #22  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I'm embracing the need for plastic surgery and put away any extra money I have for it. You don't have to live with it if you don't want to.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:21 PM   #23  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
I'm embracing the need for plastic surgery and put away any extra money I have for it. You don't have to live with it if you don't want to.
I've got three kids. 2 in college, one of which has one more year and then will be headed to grad school and my third child is in her senior year of high school headed to college. Extra money? Oh no, no, no. There will be none of that for many, many, many years. Most likely never. I'd prefer to spoil my grandchildren .

As long as it doesn't affect my health or my quality of life, plastic surgery is out of the question and therefore I will have to live with it. But again, it is no hardship to do so. I hardly ever think about it. Although many people, bless their little hearts have ASKED me about it......

Not sure what I would do if I did have some extra money, if even then I would consider having surgery. Well, nothing to think about. It's not an option.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-04-2009 at 02:36 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:25 PM   #24  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Yeah, definitely I don't have any "extra" money to put back and save for surgery . I am coming to terms that the skin will be okay, at least I won't be moridly obese and in bad health anymore
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #25  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotWings View Post
Has anyone ever tried that neck slimmer thing they advertise on TV?? Exercise thing with springs in it of varying strengths. I was curious about it, but so much of what they advertise on TV is bunk!
Ive wondered the same thing myself but theres a little voice that tells me it does not work. Would be nice though...I'd get one and try it.
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 316/ticker/150

I'm with C.C. and embracing or accepting the need for plastic surgery once moved to maintenance.

I was told by ... you know someone who knows someone.. type of told, that using compression clothing as you lose the weight helps with the sagging. I figure it might work just because it minimized the affect gravity has on the empty space. I have no clue if it really works, but I've been using it as a method. So far I have only been wearing something for my stomach area. I am getting to a point where I need something for inner thigh and upper arms, if I am going to continue with this method.
quiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #27  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I've got three kids. 2 in college, one of which has one more year and then will be headed to grad school and my third child is in her senior year of high school headed to college. Extra money? Oh no, no, no. There will be none of that for many, many, many years. Most likely never. I'd prefer to spoil my grandchildren .
I don't have anyone, so what am I saving it for? All I meant by suggesting it was that if it REALLY upsets you, there are ways to remedy it. It doesn't make you selfish to want to fix it - and for some people it's a medical necessity - and it may take years to save up the money, but you can get rid of it.

Last edited by CLCSC145; 08-04-2009 at 02:54 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #28  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'm planning to nip/tuck one day I'm giving myself a couple of years of maintaining before I do though!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:18 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 302/287/200

Height: 5'5"

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions! I know that I'm lucky because even though I'm 287 lbs. I am able to get around and do better than some at 187 lbs. My biggest problem right now isn't so much the food issue as it is the fluids - I've never been a big drinker and I have to force myself to drink water cause I can go all day without drinking anything. Not good! I'm doing better but I still have to work on it.

Last edited by chubbs; 08-04-2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: added ticker
chubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #30  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Why is plastic surgery seen as a value judgement? I will sacrifice for others and have batwings (implication -- I won't be evil and selfish like those of you who would deprive your grandchildren for a vain and egocentric cause)?

I think if you wanna fix something, FIX IT. Be happy! You only have one life!
And if you have grown, well-educated children in reasonable jobs, you deserve to spend a little something on yourself...I know all 3 of us kids have reasonable jobs and tell our parents to leave us with nothing but debt. After all, they EARNED their money and we EARN our own. They can spend theirs on first -class cruise tickets til the cows come home, OR plastic surgery if that is what turns their cranks..

JMHO

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote