3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   I call this person a friend? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/178056-i-call-person-friend.html)

lottie63 07-31-2009 05:39 PM

I call this person a friend?

OMG.

I just told a fairly close friend of mine my plan to become a nutritionist AFTER I lose the weight. I said I want to do SOMETHING for a living where I am helping people and that I would feel great being able to show people it's possible to lose, that someday I would be able tosay 'been there, done that' about losing weight. I have lost about 25% of it already.

not too shabby....or so I THOUGHT.

He made fun of me!

He said, "lol I dunno about that. You're favorite food is diner onion rings, and I don't think nutritionist's should recommend that."

I was nearly in tears. So even though I said AFTER I lose, this means nothing to him. and I will always be the 'fat girl' who loves diner onion rings.

AUGH!

:mad:

I'm sure he thought he was being cute or funny, but I don't think so ...at all!

Beck 07-31-2009 05:45 PM

((hug)) Definitely NOT nice of him. I think it would be a great idea.

Aclai4067 07-31-2009 05:54 PM

Ugh. I knew a girl a couple years ago who was in school to become a nutritionist and would talk about this one heavy girl in her program, saying "why would anyone go to a fat dietition?" I told her it's not always easy to practice what you preach and I'd rather go to a nutritionist who knows that than be lectured by some skinny b!tch who's never had to lose a pound in her life.

*She and I had previous conflicts. She was very judgmental and unsympathetic to people who are overweight or obese (including her mother!)

lottie63 07-31-2009 05:57 PM

Okay, I just talked to a friend about him, and she said, "you're smart, you're motivated, you can do this if you want to."

It cheered me up. She also had some words not so appropriate to the forum about him as well. ;) hehe

People are mean jerks sometimes! :(

dragonwoman64 07-31-2009 06:01 PM

I think you could be a fantastic nutritionist and it's not dependent on whether you lose the weight or not. personally, I think a nutritionist or anyone in the field of helping others lose weight who can relate to the draw of diner onion rings is a big plus.

guys can be gigantically dense.

lottie63 07-31-2009 06:07 PM

I know i CAN be a nutritionist at any weight, but it is a new motivation for me to lose it. :D

and ...I would feel like a total failure if I did it and didn't lose. It's just in my head that way. :P

bcort 07-31-2009 06:11 PM

Sorry he said that - some people just are so insensitive, & he may not even realize it. Try to forget it & don't let it keep you down.

beerab 07-31-2009 06:31 PM

It's nothing against you- it's his own insecurities playing against him. He is jealous you have found something to be passionate for and he wants to bring you down- it's not about you- it's about him.

I know nutritionists who eat pizza, drink alcohol, and so on, BUT they know it's all about moderation! Nutritionists don't live on carrot sticks!

Screw them, just don't share things like that with them anymore.

lottie63 07-31-2009 06:39 PM

actually he's moving away, so it will be a good excuse to cut ties.

He's kind of an *** all the time. :P

patchworkpenguin 07-31-2009 06:48 PM

i've asked my Hubby on several occasions about some of the weird/dumb things that I have heard men say, his comment is 'that they THINK they are funnier than they really ARE!"

Your friend is probably stuck with a sterotype that overweight people are overweight becaust they sit around and eat fried foods all day. He's clueless!

Ignore him. Go for your goal! we know you can do it!

lottie63 07-31-2009 08:25 PM

So, I got a half hearted semi offensive "apology" (I use that term loosely) email from my "Friend."

He said that he can't BELIEVE That i would be offended by his little joke, and that we have eaten on over a dozen times and not ONCE has it been at a health food restaurant, so if I"m going to go all "healthy eating" on him, to expect a joke or two.

then he said, "But if I hurt your feelings I apologize."

AUGH! Just made me MORE angry. Like, "You're fat, so you should expect me to make fun of you for trying (implication: In vain) to get healthy."

I told him that people change, and that what he said was very discouraging and that I didn't lose almost 40 lbs by eating onion rings.

SCREW HIM!

Windchime 07-31-2009 08:49 PM

Know what? I think you would be awesome at being a nutritionist because you've WALKED the WALK. You've been in the trenches and had to make the tough choices.

And know what? He can go sit on a tack. You go and be a nutritionist, and you can still enjoy an onion ring now and then. A nutritionist once told my Mom that the main thing is to make good food choices 80-90% of the time and she'd be fine.

Men. They can be such stinkers!

bargoo 07-31-2009 08:54 PM

He is a jerk. Don't let his stupidity upset you.

MsDiana 08 07-31-2009 09:03 PM

mmmmm onion rings!!!

tell him to go suck a @#&*
sorry.

it's ok.
when I had a job interview for an executive assistant position.
my friend/roommate told me
"if you just lose some weight you'll be perfect for that job"

nooch 08-01-2009 12:46 AM

Wow, what a shcmuck. Seriously. Wow.

Also, I am pretty sure that nutritionists are allowed to like onion rings. What a (string of expletives). I am livid on your behalf, girl.