Old 07-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

Question Early morning and late night workouts

I was wondering if does outside activities (walking, running, cycling) before sunrise in the morning or after dark in the evening? Do you take someone with you? Do you just live in an area where you feel safe being out in the dark? Do you burn extra calories from the stress of wondering if someone is going to sneak up on you (yes I watch too many police dramas). I only exercise outside when it's light out but I mention to someone this week that I would love to go running before I go to work simply because I feel so good when I get done, I think it would be a great start to the day. Unfortunately, with the time I have to be to work by, this really isn't possible to do when it's light out. They asked why I don't just go early before the sun rises. I guess I have just always been paranoid about doing stuff outside, by myself when it's dark. This winter may become an issue though because last winter it was already getting dark when I got off work which meant by the time I got the end of walking my dog, it was dark. I won't be able to run through the week during the winter (I know, long way off). So I was just curious as to whether anyone does outdoor activities before sunrise or after sunset?
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I like to run in the dark in the morning. No, I don't feel super safe! But when daytime temps are in the 90s, there's no other time. Plus I just prefer it anyway, even when it's cooler. It's an amazing feeling to start up your run before sunrise.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I ran in the dark all winter. If I hadn't there is no way I would have made the progress I have. I prided myself in running no matter what--I even ran with ice crystals forming on my eyelashes! Honestly, with as many clothes as I had to wear, you really couldn't have known if I was a man or woman. I do have a belt loop Mace thingy but I didn't worry too much. Nowadays I usually hit the road by 5:45 when it's just coming light out. I guess it depends on where you live and your own comfort level.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:17 PM   #4  

I exercise in the dark also.I feel pretty safe.I do not have IPOD on at this time...learned my lesson after a run in with a deer!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #5  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

i run in the morning! Out the door by 4:15 no matter what!! If exercise or running is something you want to make a priority then you HAVE to make it A PRIORITY! I feel perfectly safe running in the dark that early, and we dont live in the best neighborhood, believe me.... It feels so wonderful to do it every morning, and ive gotten more than used to my 3:30 wake up call!! The best thing about it (besides having the world to myself at that time) is that when i start running it is still so dark and the stars are beautiful...i have constant companions in bright venus and Jupiter, and even Mars! All of which are extremely visible in the early morning sky. After Ive had my fill of the stars, i get to see the sunrise every morning!!
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 PM   #6  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

I'd totally be taking my walks at night or early morning if I could, my problem right now is that it tends to remain very hot even when the sun's down. I don't do so well in the heat (yes, I've tried to walk anyway, bleh!) and can't wait for temperatures to cool down so I can be more comfortable with being active outdoors again.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 11:05 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirenity View Post
I'd totally be taking my walks at night or early morning if I could, my problem right now is that it tends to remain very hot even when the sun's down. I don't do so well in the heat (yes, I've tried to walk anyway, bleh!) and can't wait for temperatures to cool down so I can be more comfortable with being active outdoors again.
Have you been up very early? It's much cooler at 5 am than at 8 pm.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:26 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Have you been up very early? It's much cooler at 5 am than at 8 pm.
Hmm, just checked again, and it'll be 83 at 5 am tomorrow, which is only 3 degrees cooler than it'll be at 8 am. It's also better than still being in the 90's past ten at night, when I usually try to get out. But at least it's showing signs of cooling down now!

I passed out from the heat a few years back, and I guess I've been overly-cautious about it ever since. I try to walk indoors at malls and such when I can.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:08 AM   #9  

I was comparing 5 am to 8pm not 8 am. But I hear you on the heat. I much prefer being too hot to too cold - except when I'm exercising!
Old 07-30-2009, 12:15 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
I was comparing 5 am to 8pm not 8 am. But I hear you on the heat. I much prefer being too hot to too cold - except when I'm exercising!
Oh, lol! My bad.

I grew up and spent most of my life in the midwest, and while I'm used to some temperature changes and humidity, I'm so not used to this much heat at once! I've lived in the desert for nearly 2 years now. I *love* the winters here but the summers about kill me.
Old 07-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #11  
No Matter What!

S/C/G: 264/257/145

Wow, you ladies amaze me! I'm sitting here wondering how you get up before the sun does, exercise, and still make it through the day without falling over from sleep deprivation. I've always said I wanted to be that person - yet, I CAN be that person and choose not to. You all have given me food for thought that this really can be done! Thanks for the inspiration!
teensie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:48 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teensie3 View Post
Wow, you ladies amaze me! I'm sitting here wondering how you get up before the sun does, exercise, and still make it through the day without falling over from sleep deprivation.
That takes care of itself in short order. You go to bed earlier.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #13  
Don't Stop Me Now!

S/C/G: 205/177/145

Height: 5-10

I feel a little nervous when I'm out at night and it's growing dark - probably because I, too, watch way too much Law & Order and CSI! But if you have your dog with you, that should help you feel a little safer!

Going in the morning is lovely - I don't feel nervous by myself, oddly, even though sometimes it's just as dark as in the evening. Maybe I think bad guys like to sleep in I do often have a running buddy in the morning, but sometimes I get up and go alone with confidence.

And, yes, I love how running in the morning kicks me into gear for the whole day! It's hard to drag myself out of bed, but it helps a lot if you know your friend is waiting for you. I do end up going to bed even earlier - who knew I'd ever be a morning person! I miss staying up late enough to watch my boyfriend, Conan O'Brien. But skinny is worth it!
sharongracepjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #14  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I enjoy to exercise late at night.. but I go indoors at the Y. I like it because I don't eat at night this way.. which is my week time of the day.
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I don't do early mornings. Full stop. :lol

I do exercise in the evenings, like a bi-weekly Zumba class or my after work treadmilling. I don't do much outdoors because we live in a rural area (lots of stupid men on ATVs and too many bitey bugs to mention), so I've never really worried about safety. I do find I don't sleep very well after exercising in the evening, and I need to take a Unisom--the exercise keys me up.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote