Roasted Vegetable Soup Recipe
This recipe showed up in one of the email newsletters I get:
Roasted Vegetable Soup
This delicious, vegetable-filled broth can be served by itself or used as a base for other soups. The vegetables used in this soup are often just added to soup liquids for cooking. This recipe oven-roasts them first, enhancing their flavor. Your kitchen will fill with the aromas of the roasting vegetables evoking old-fashioned, home-style meals. Comfort food at its finest.
3 large carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
1 large onion, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon quality extra-virgin olive oil
8 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups water
1/4 cup dried mushroom pieces (Italian porcini, if possible)
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and black or red pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Place the carrots, celery, and onion in a small (8 x 8 inch) nonstick pan or dish with the olive oil. Toss to coat the vegetables. Bake for 10 minutes.
2. Remove pan from oven, add the garlic, and toss again. Bake for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetables are browned.
3. Remove pan from oven, add 1 cup of water and stir to loosen any vegetables that may be stuck. Pour this into a pot with the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes.
4. Season to taste with salt and black or red pepper, and serve or use as the base for other soups, stews, or pasta dishes.
5 g total fat (1 g sat)
0 mg cholesterol
12 g carbohydrate
2 g protein
3 g fiber
150 mg sodium
Say it... shout it... believe it... "I AM GOING TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!"...then DO IT!
"You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there." ~ Edwin Louis Cole
Starting weight: 245
Lap RNY 11/19/2014: 215.5 surgery weight
My Mini Goals:
1) Consume less than 120 grams of carbs, 30 grams of sugar and 1,100 net calories (factoring in exercise) 2) Exercise 6 days per week at least 45 minutes per day
3) Follow the Bariatric surgery eating plan
4) Make the most of each moment