Old 08-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Default Feeling silly buying "diet" foods

Yesterday at the grocery store I picked up some of those frozen entrees by the Weight Watchers people (yes, I know they're high in sodium, I'm going to watch out for that--they are just for days once school starts where I can't handle cooking!).

I haven't yet lost that much weight, and so buying these foods I feel screams to the check-out person "I'm On A Diet!" It doesn't say that I'm watching what I eat because I'm already thin, it's a fat person buying pathetic fat people food. I felt more self-concious buying this food than I ever did buying all my binge food.

I know that I just have to get over it. Eating healthy is a LOT easier during the summer, and my efforts have always derailed during the school year because working and studying take up so much time I don't want to put the effort into cooking something and I wind up eating a bag of chips for dinner (def. NOT in my plan).

Has anyone else experianced this?
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #2  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I'll tell ya when I worked over night at Walmart way back in college I never really cared what came across my belt...well except when this one buy bought the XL magnum condoms with bananas, cucumbers and batteries

My point...most cashiers will careless
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
I'll tell ya when I worked over night at Walmart way back in college I never really cared what came across my belt...well except when this one buy bought the XL magnum condoms with bananas, cucumbers and batteries

My point...most cashiers will careless

Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

Height: 5'6"

I have lots of friends who are cart-watchers, as in they judge people by what is in their cart, and I have never in my life heard them say "I saw a fat lady buying Weight Watchers entrees" or "I saw a fat person buying vegetables" but many times I have heard them talk about people with carts full of junk and no healthy food. People are far more likely to notice when you have junk only in the cart than diet/healthy food.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #5  

Rachel--You're probably right. I guess part of my paranoia is that I am also a cart-watcher, maybe even more of a cart-judger! And I never notice people with healthy foods.

Diva--Sounds like that guy had an interesting night planned! Hilarious!
Old 08-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

I feel silly being fat! I'm sure no one pays much attention. Be proud you are taking care of yourself and getting what you need. I bought condems last week. Very proud of that, wanted to ask for a price check just for the fun of it! hehe!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #7  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

lol I do have to add I like to try and shock the cashiers that look bored & don't know me....with the parties I do I have to play games so I buy condoms for a favorite of mine and batteries because....well some of my items need batteries When I'm dressed up (like in my picture) it's even more fun!

I don't really pay attention to what is in people's carts...but then again I am hardly alone when I go to the store. 3 kids and trying to get what I need and get out is a migraine in the making. Usually my eye is twitching by the time I leave lol
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #8  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

I notice peoples carts sometimes, and the only time I think someone is a little "cuckoo" is when they have 6 WW meals and a package of cookies, a pale of ice cream, regular pop and chips in along with it.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I know it's tough, and I'm not perfect with it - but it's really important to LET GO of what you think "other people are thinking" about weight loss. This goes for buying what you WANT in a grocery store to ordering what you WANT in a restaurant to running how you WANT in public.

Worst case scenario, even if someone did look in your cart and think something disparaging, you will be a tiny blip in their day. They might think of you for one second but they will forget you by the time they hit the checkout stand themselves (well, unless you purchase a big tub of lard, a saddle and a set of jumper cables, I suppose).

Nothing else matters except you doing what is best for you. Set your eyes on your path and ignore coworkers who get fussy when you don't want to go to a burger place or family members who push bread baskets on you in restaurants and what servers might think when you have to send back a sweet potato covered in a mountain of butter after you carefully ordered a PLAIN sweet potato.

Your opinion is the only one that matters. Love yourself more than you care what other people think (particularly strangers!) Screw em!

Last edited by Glory87; 08-12-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I never really look in anyone's carts, I'm usually so absorbed in what I need to buy that I don't have time to look around.

I work in a drug store/everything store, while I am not a front end cashier I ring up plenty of things... I'm impressed with the combination of things people buy. Lube and drano? Thats gotta be an interesting night!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl View Post
Lube and drano? Thats gotta be an interesting night!

-Aimee

Well, I guess if one won't work, the other will!
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:54 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

do what you need to do for yourself.

Also one thing that may help you is look into batch cooking. You can cook large batches of food and even make your own frozen entrees ahead of time. If you can carve out a couple hours on a weekend, it can be useful and can help you stay on track.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:55 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimGirl View Post
Lube and drano? Thats gotta be an interesting night!

-Aimee
Well, I guess that on some nights you need to unclog your pipes and then...unclog your pipes!

Yes, Screm 'em! You're right!
Old 08-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #14  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
lol I do have to add I like to try and shock the cashiers that look bored & don't know me....with the parties I do I have to play games so I buy condoms for a favorite of mine and batteries because....well some of my items need batteries When I'm dressed up (like in my picture) it's even more fun!
Tanee - Just what kind of "parties" do you do??
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #15  
video game junkie

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

I'm proud of what I bring through the checkout line nowadays, and I usually smile once I see it all lined up on the checkout counter.

I'll admit I've started peeking at other people's purchases. Not to judge them, but to make comparisons between what used to be my norm, to what the norm is now.

I've seen people eyeballing my things and I don't know what they're thinking, and I really don't care.

The only time I had a cashier really pause was when all I picked up was a box of condoms, some rope, a candle, and clothespins.... and yes... that was a VERY fun night

I am definitely becoming more aware of what people are purchasing and their habits though. I was in line at Walmart the other day, and a mother and her children were in line behind me. The girls asked if they could have popsicles, and they were pointing and asking for a natural juice healthier variety, and the mom said "No, you dont want those, not sugary enough, get the big pops instead." I couldn't help but notice the missed opportunity mom had to teach them good habits.

Last edited by Lissus; 08-12-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: kitten on keyboard, posted too early
Lissus is offline   Reply With Quote