Old 07-20-2009, 10:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/233/150

Height: 5'7

Default I lost 20 lbs annnnd that was it.

I lost 20 lbs annnnd that was it. The scale hasn't moved except to go up & down the same 2 lbs. Ive worked soo hard going to the gym & not eating my fast food and still nothing. The last few days I kinda gave up & haven't been to the gym and haven't ate so great. so now im up 4 lbs.

I went to the gym yesterday and today I didn't. Idk if I really have the strength to keep going. All of a sudden I don't know what to eat anymore & I don't know what to do at the gym. I would hate to start gaining my piddly weight back it wouldn't be fair.

Am I having a mid-mid life crisis?? Should I call it quits & hit the freezer for some ice cream?
Naughtymonkey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

You're on a plateau... I can't remember where I heard this, but you might want to try shocking your body back into losing weight, on one day eat 1200 calories and the next day eat 1800 calories. Try that and throw in a couple more workouts, the scale should get back to moving.
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:44 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

ML Crisis? Maybe. Icecream? NO.

Let's tackle this. Well done on the 20lbs by the way, 20 more than most people bother with.

Can you post what it is that you do eat? Curiously, both eating too much AND eating too little can stall your weightloss and it is SO infuriating when you're giving 100% commitment; but it could be that you're 100% committed to something that needs a bit of tweaking for it to work for you.

No ice-cream diving!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughtymonkey01 View Post
I lost 20 lbs annnnd that was it. The scale hasn't moved except to go up & down the same 2 lbs. Ive worked soo hard going to the gym & not eating my fast food and still nothing. The last few days I kinda gave up & haven't been to the gym and haven't ate so great. so now im up 4 lbs.

I went to the gym yesterday and today I didn't. Idk if I really have the strength to keep going. All of a sudden I don't know what to eat anymore & I don't know what to do at the gym. I would hate to start gaining my piddly weight back it wouldn't be fair.

Am I having a mid-mid life crisis?? Should I call it quits & hit the freezer for some ice cream?
Okay, if you are having a plateau it sounds like it's totally and completely self-induced. But that's okay, because then you can figure out what to do about it. You say that you're going to the gym and NOT eating fast food. Well, perhaps in the early stages that WAS enough to produce a weight loss, but now that you've been at this for a while it's not ENOUGH to create a calorie deficit. So you're not eating fast food. Well what ARE you eating? There's lots of food that's high calorie that ISN'T fast food. What kind of plan ARE you following. Are you counting calories? Points? South Beach? I know for me, cutting back and only eating healthy never, ever worked. I needed/still need the built in portion control, set limits and accountability that calorie counting provides. Otherwise it's waaaay to easy to STILL take in too many calories and NOT produce a calorie deficit. No deficit - no weight loss. So can you give us an idea of your plan and what exactly it is that you're eating?

Oh and what in the world is ice cream even DOING in your home? Set yourself up for success! Get rid of the garbage and ADD in healthy, satisfying, delicious, lower calorie "safe" foods.

And I don't buy that mid-life crisis stuff. I started this journey just 2 months shy of 43. Losing weight and lots of it is possible at any and every age (barring medical issues). Mid- life is as good a time as any. I feel more energetic, happier, better and stronger now then I did in my 20's and 30's. So, no giving up. Just a little changing around of things and experimenting till you find what works - and what doesn't. Get back to us. Help is on the way!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #5  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

I love reading your posts, RR.

I'm in my mid life crisis, I'm trying to use it to boost my weight loss efforts
(I let my nails grow out and I painted them pink )

no, naughty monkey, forget hitting the Haagen Dazs, don't let the slow downs get to you, think of it as a challenge. It's just a question of figuring out what you might need to tweak, or sometimes it's just sticking to the program you have and riding it out. You've lost 20 lbs, 20 POUNDS, that's really great!

Rome was not built in a day.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:55 AM   #6  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Just push thru it. You may be building muscle. STart tracking your inches!
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine31 View Post
Just push thru it. You may be building muscle. STart tracking your inches!
It takes months upon months for women to build muscle. So I don't think that is the issue here. And any weight gained by adding muscle would be a good thing!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:54 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Also keep in mind that sometimes they body seems to need a few weeks to adjust to a new weight level. I usually hit "plateaus" about every 20 pounds, as my body seems to remember when I was this same weight on the way up, and settles into a old, familiar shape. If you have a solid plan (with a calorie deficit, like RR mentions), you WILL lose weight again. A true plateau doesn't really happen until you haven't lost anything in a month or so. A few weeks could just be water and fat adjustment.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #9  

Hang in there! Losing 20 pounds is a good thing. Imagine how you'll feel if you gained ALL of that back! Just dust yourself off and climb right back into the saddle!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:25 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Yep. Go ahead. Eat the ice cream. Because I guarantee that will make you feel so much better Not. The only way that you will STOP losing weight and GAIN that weight back is if you GO OFF PLAN. YOU. It's all you. It's not outside forces. It's not a midlife crisis. It's you.

You can make or break this. I believe you should choose life and health. But it's up to you.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 PM   #11  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

There's a thread under Support Forum and then Weight Loss Forum called:
Fluctuations in Scale Weight anbd Water Weight that might be helpful.
Just keep remembering how far you have come. Congratulations on 20 LBS weight loss.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineCA View Post
Hang in there! Losing 20 pounds is a good thing. Imagine how you'll feel if you gained ALL of that back! Just dust yourself off and climb right back into the saddle!

Yes!! Thanks Sunshine for plucking the words from my head
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote