3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Question for other girls about TOM (boys be warned) (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/176416-question-other-girls-about-tom-boys-warned.html)

TaraLee 07-10-2009 10:59 PM

Question for other girls about TOM (boys be warned)

Okay... so its that TOM. My first since I've been trying to weight manage and my daily weight has been all over the charts. At this point if I maintain last weeks lost I'll consider myself fortunate.

I've tried researching it on the web but no dependable sites have much info on the issue... so here it goes...
How is weight loss affected during that TOM?

cfmama 07-10-2009 11:12 PM

My weight loss is actually not affected at all. I DO gain about 2 lbs in water weight a couple days before. But then on my fourth day of my period I go through a series of "whooshes" lasting 4-5 days and end up 2-3 lbs lighter than my original weight. So I still lose weight but I can't "see" it. You know.

Tai 07-10-2009 11:57 PM

The whole time I was losing I never lost an ounce during that week. I always stuck to my plan and exercised, but had to accept that I was only going to lose three weeks out of every month.

I'm sure it varies from person to person though so don't get discouraged!

Alana in Canada 07-11-2009 12:32 AM

So far, the scales haven't shown any difference. My mood sure is different, though! Cruising to eat seems to be my modus operandi--and I'm the kind of cranky only chocolate can cure (or so I've always thought!)

However, as I get closer to goal I expect the scales to get "stuck" at that time of the month--and then for it all to go away in time as cfmama described.

Jennelle 07-11-2009 01:14 AM

I found that since I'm eating better, I don't cramp as much and my boobs aren't as sore during TOM. My weight loss isn't terribly affected by water retainage...maybe a few ounces up the week before.

teensie3 07-11-2009 01:35 AM

I'm sure everyone is different but for me I either stay the same or gain weight the week before TOM and then once TOM starts the weight falls right off (and often more).

Couch 07-11-2009 03:22 AM

My weight loss stalls a few days before (though lately I have noticed a drop the day before that I then gain back immediately) and then I lose it in a whoosh about 4-6 days after TOM starts, plus about a kilo (2.2lbs). If I don't succumb to the desire to eat my weight in chocolate, I still lose at the same rate as the rest of the month, I just don't see it until the end of TOM.

And exercise helps with cramps. It's about the last thing I feel like doing, but even a short walk can make a significant difference.

thisisnotatest 07-12-2009 02:45 PM

For me, the week before is difficult, I struggle with food, subject to waves of moodiness, dont lose. Once I get my period-smooth sailing. No issues and that's when I'll drop the weight (making up for previos week. Also how 'difficult' the week before is entirely dependant on my diet. I stayed with friends for several weeks and was subject to their food. Lots of meat, nothing organic, I didn't gain, but my body was miserable.

WhitePicketFences 07-12-2009 03:43 PM

I tend to be up exactly 2 lbs during TOM and sometimes for days after. Since I lose an average of 2 lbs per week, this just means that I usually don't 'see' that week's loss until later.

nineoceansaway 07-12-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennelle (Post 2822285)
I found that since I'm eating better, I don't cramp as much and my boobs aren't as sore during TOM.

I agree it's weird, my cramps aren't half as bad as they used to be!

Usually I would gain or stall a few days before my period, then after my period I would lose 2-4 lbs. Last month I stayed the same through out, the whole time. Either way I've read you do need about 5-10% more calories when you are on, which could account for the hunger and cravings I know I experience

pucedaisy 07-12-2009 04:25 PM

this morning i woke up literally sick with cramps. my tom came early- i don't know if my diet has affected it- but man, my cramps were so bad i threw up and broke out in sweats. i couldn't stay up but i couldn't comfortable lying down. i started to worry that there was something else going on- i've had some bad cramps in the past, but this was horrible. i couldn't find my ibuprofin and i was too sick and weak to look for it. i took one of my dog's pain pills! i feel better now, and even went out for a walk, but man, that really threw my day off.

sorry, i guess that wasn't really on topic. i'm still feeling rocky and i need to get to the grocery store so i am ready for another week of healthy eating!

SunshineCA 07-12-2009 11:50 PM

My "Aunt Flo" made her monthly visit early yesterday morning. I was expecting her so it wasn't a big surprise. When I'm sticking to plan, my weight loss is not affected by her arrival. She doesn't stay as long either. ;)

dragonwoman64 07-13-2009 09:38 AM

oh boy, I'm experiencing PMS today in a bad way (week before period). mood swings, increased appetite (or at least cravings), weight gain (about 3 to 4 lbs). breaking out. doesn't happen every time. I'm peri. for me, sometimes the weight from TOM whooshes right off, sometimes it doesn't, takes longer to get back down.

WhitePicketFences 07-13-2009 10:03 AM

I always hear that everyone's hungrier than usual or having cravings during TOM. For me, I have much less of an appetite during (before I might have cravings).

And a lot of food stuff makes me feel sick during TOM ... the allrecipes email I got recently that said "shrimp burritos" -- ack! Delete! -- and the smell of my husband's sausage breakfast ...

To the point where I keep meaning to have a food ritual of eating like, soup or something very constant and austere during my period. Like the leek soup in French Women Don't Get Fat (except it would probably be something else). Take advantage of it as a time to eat significantly less, you know? I might incorporate a tradition like that. Could be helpful in maintenance.