Old 07-09-2009, 02:41 PM   #16  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'd say "I decided to start with the FORK instead of the KNIFE" hahah I crack me up
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #17  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I would take the "kill'em with kindness" route - "I did not have any surgery. Just lost the weight the old fashion way, diet and exercise. I would be glad to go into more detail if you are interested." Just beam while saying it. Let your happiness about this show.

If her goal is to be mean and hurt you, just let it roll off of your back. She is the one hurting.

PS - 112 pounds lost!!! Congratulations, you should be beaming!

Last edited by time2lose; 07-09-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: PS
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

From what you said, it doesn't sound like she was trying to be mean or hurtful. Did she really sound like she meant to imply that you weren't able to do it, or do you think it was maybe that she doesn't want to imagine that it's possible to achieve what you did without surgery, because it makes her feel like a failure for not having done so as well?

I probably would have responded, "Surgery? Oh, no. This is all hard work and determination."

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:26 PM   #19  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trazey34 View Post
I'd say "I decided to start with the FORK instead of the KNIFE" hahah I crack me up

Trazey, that's actually a really cute response! It's clever without being mean in return and it lets her know that you've lost weight with hard work and a better diet. Perfect!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 262/251/140

Height: 5'4

I might have made some comment about HER needing surgery - to remove her head from her behind....

but that's just me. ;-)
Breeezie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #21  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm a chattie Cathy. I love to talk, to friends, family, strangers.... Anyone who talks as much as me, is bound to insert foot in mouth occasionally - and I've done so on many occasions. So, I try to be very understanding when other people say stupid stuff without thinking (hey, it happens to almost everyone eventually).

That being said, I tend to react to other people's stupid comments the way I do when I make them, I laugh my *** off. Laughter works absolutely great, because it almost always causes embarassment. If the person meant it snidely, they get embarassed AND angry (at you), and if the person wasn't trying to be mean they get embarassed and if they get angry, it's with themselves, or they start laughing at themselves. Either way, it's a win-win for me.

As for a clever answer, I would suggest, "I'm scheduled for next month, but I've been doing so well on my own, I think I'm going to cancel."

A friend of mine is always being asked "when is the baby due?" and she either says "in about 10 months or so," or gives them a date nine months in the future (she just subtracts three months - so if someone asked her today she'd tell them April 9). It's too far in the past to be an overdue baby, so if someone were really paying attention they would "get it," but she says it's amazing how many people don't even listen to her answer enough to know what she's saying. They just keep chatting "oh, do you know if it's a boy or a girl..." Or they get a strange look on their face, like they know something is wrong with the answer, but don't quite get what it is.

People (even smart, wonderful people) can be idiots sometimes.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-09-2009 at 04:07 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #22  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
A friend of mine is always being asked "when is the baby due?" and she either says "in about 10 months or so," or gives them a date nine months in the future (she just subtracts three months - so if someone asked her today she'd tell them April 9.
A bit OT, but funny story:
When I was at my biggest, I decided to do Aquafit at my local Y. But the ONLY class that fit with my schedule was the PRE-NATAL class. So I just, well, WENT. I figured that I was indeed "pre-natal" as I hadn't given birth yet (nor was I pregnant). I had a great time. The class was amazing. And noone asked any questions (which was great for my schedule but kind of depressing that I looked "expectant" at that time..)

SOMETIMES being bigger CAN have advantages...

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-09-2009 at 04:14 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #23  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Hopefully she wasn't trying to be mean, but if so... one of my favorite responses I think I've heard on here is:

"did you just say that out loud?"

It doesn't really require saying anything more.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 04:50 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

How rude! Sorry I have no quick answers for you but looks like you got a lot already. You are doing awesome by the way, not that you didn't already know that!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:03 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiramira View Post
So I just, well, WENT. I figured that I was indeed "pre-natal" as I hadn't given birth yet (nor was I pregnant).
I've been postnatal ever since I was born
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:59 PM   #26  

My mom can be a true b**ch sometimes. So something I have been doing over the last few years is to just stick my middle finger up at her and pretend like I'm not doing it. I just laugh and say 'what?'
She ends up laughing and it stops whatever nonsense she was 'commenting' on from becoming a heated fight.
I should note that I'm almost 40 and wouldn't have dared when I was younger.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:00 AM   #27  
NEVER GIVE UP

S/C/G: 259.9/181.0/145.0

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeezie View Post
I might have made some comment about HER needing surgery - to remove her head from her behind....

but that's just me. ;-)
I agree Totally!
Lori259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #28  
~jus' being me~

How rude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend has had people say that to her too. Not that surgery isnt a viable option if that is what makes sense for you, but she hasnt had any either. The fact that my friend runs marathons now should have alerted people to the fact that her whole life has changed.

Just goes to show, people who have nothing to say should zip it
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 AM   #29  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
"I decided to start with the FORK instead of the KNIFE"
I love this one. If said with a smile, you make a point with humor.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 01:51 PM   #30  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

i just spit out my coffee....this, dont flip your mother off...too funny!!! btw i lost 2 more lbs if anyones listening
david is offline   Reply With Quote