Old 07-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default The Lesson of the Angel Food Cake

I made it for Canada Day.
I made it sensibly--though I did use a mix.
I cut it in half, put in fresh sugared strawberries and decorated it with fresh strawberries on top.
I served it with fresh whipped cream and more berries.

To eat a slice (1/12th) with berries and cream, I chose to count it as 1 fruit serving, 1 dairy, 1 fat, and 2 grains. (about 365 calories total).

I'm OK with that--but here's the lesson.

I was hungry.

I had one slice on Wednesday and one on Thursday--and both evenings before bed I couldn't have my usual snack because I was "done" eating.

I was "looking" for food and knew I couldn't eat. Talk about restless! It was awful.

It just wasn't worth it--and I won't do that again soon.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 07-03-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:50 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I'm with you - it's just not worth it. I need to get much more then good taste from my food/calories. I need to make them count and make them work for me. I need them to keep my fully satiated. FULLY. That's why I need fiber and/or protein and lots of volume. Not some nutrient sparse, over in a minute, make me clamor for more - foods.

Good for you for learning that lesson early on and without much damage. I tell you, I would have had that whole cake, not a slice one day and another slice the next.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:55 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I'm with you, Robin. No way I could have stopped at two pieces. It would have been me, the cake, and a fork over the kitchen sink until it was gone. And I don't even like Angel Food cake...

Did you get rid of the rid of the cake, Alana?
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #4  
Starting over

On Wednesday, my Mom joined us, so that was 5 pieces gone.

On Thursday, I had mine, and told the family to finish it up entirely. So, they did. (And I came here instead of "joining" them, lol!)
Old 07-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #5  
Escape from my fat suit

S/C/G: 290/210/130

Angel food cake is a no way food for me. I'll eat half of it or the whole thing. I'm impressed with that self-control.
better health3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:08 PM   #6  
Starting over

About that self-control--if that angel food cake had been, oh, say carrot cake with cream cheese icing, or, oh, chocolate cheesecake from the outlet, or, even, a devil's food cake with fudge icing--then this would be a whole 'nother post entirely!

I chose Angel Food cake just because I merely like it. (Or I thought I did. It struck me as tasting like Cotton Candy--and I didn't really like it!)
Old 07-03-2009, 08:12 PM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

My mom bought a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for my birthday. Several of us had a piece at dinner (including me), but she sent half the cake home with me. Rather than argue with her about it, I took it. It got dumped in the outside trash; I didn't even take it in the house because I Can.Not.Resist carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. I'd have eaten the whole thing in less than 24 hours.

And I confess that I opened this thread because I wanted to experience angel food cake vicariously. It sounds so good, but I dare not make one.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/ticker/160

Height: 5'1

I agree I would have polished off the whole thing, so you did very well !! I found myself wandering the grocery isle the other day looking at the ice cream flavors and thinking how much I miss it... Needless to say I didn't dare buy anything, not even frozen yogurt because I can't trust myself.

Lately if I think I am going to be weak with food that is at home, I just open the back door and toss it to the chickens. They will have it polished off and gone in a matter of seconds and the temptation is gone...lol.

jab91864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:14 PM   #9  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I made an angel food for canada day too! the whole red/white thingie, but luckily for me i DO NOT love angel food cake, so i ate the berries alone and there were enough people it was gobbled up really fast -- now if it had been CHOCOLATE i would have wrestled everyone to the ground for it LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:59 AM   #10  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I hear you about having a hard time stopping, Alana. Since I allowed myself to have McDs weeks ago I've been slipping and getting back on track constantly. Had I just never eaten the darned food, I think it would be a lot better. I was something like two months in before I thought I could do it, and it's created nothing but headaches.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #11  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

I'm not that big a fan of angel food cake...but if it had been coconut, I would have eaten the whole thing, or as much as possible, in one sitting...definitely finished it in less than a day. And that's why no more sugar for me, ever. Good for you for learning something important about yourself.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote