3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   Deep fat frying experience (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/175525-deep-fat-frying-experience.html)

Rosinante 06-29-2009 06:23 PM

Deep fat frying experience

Not something I've ever really done but decided to try it for dinner tonight. I had many, many calories to play with. Just as well!

I made some veggie fritters on brown rice with a tiny bit of sweet and sour sauce.

The veg. was just veg.
The rice was just rice.
The sauce was under a Tbsp.
The batter was flour, oil, water and egg white, so quite light.

The meal wasn't huge. It was very tasty. It was 1100 calories!!:o and the largest one item of that was the oil - 500 calories-worth those fritters absorbed!

Well, that's one lesson learned, one not worth repeating. Was tasty though.

cfmama 06-29-2009 06:25 PM

My gall bladder just panged at your description ;) lol!!!!!

Sounds yummy but yah... 1100 calories! That sucks!!!!!

nelie 06-29-2009 06:42 PM

I've never actually fried anything. Frying always kind of scared me.

jelder227 06-29-2009 06:47 PM

Ouch!

thinpossible 06-29-2009 07:39 PM

I tried frying stuff a few times. I could never really get it to be "restaurant quality" and I'm not all that jazzed about fried foods anyway. Love you're new avatar by the way. You look lovely ;)

Michelle1210 06-29-2009 08:04 PM

sometimes you just got to get some things done and on be on your way. lol

time2lose 06-29-2009 09:41 PM

I am happy for you that you don't care to repeat this experience.

I grew up on fried foods and, unfortunately gave it to my children too much. It has been hard for me to learn to cook without frying. My motto was "when in doubt, fry it". :dizzy:

Not sure how to cook eggplant? Make it into a mash and fry it. Cauliflower or squash too bland? Coat it and fry it. Then there is fried okra and fried green tomatoes. I don't remember ever frying green beans though.

One very positive thing about never frying now - the stove top is much easier to clean! :)

rockinrobin 06-29-2009 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by time2lose (Post 2805915)
I grew up on fried foods and, unfortunately gave it to my children too much. It has been hard for me to learn to cook without frying. My motto was "when in doubt, fry it". :dizzy:

I was a big fry-er too. I felt the same way - hmmm, how can I prepare this fill in the blank? Oh - I can fry it. In the months leading up to the beginning of my journey, I wondered how I would ever survive living without frying. One of my all time favorites was fried chicken cutlets. We had it every single Monday night (with heaps of white rice). I can just see me pouring out the oil into the pan. I would be impatient, so I just poured more oil in as it made it cook faster. Blech. The thought of it now gets me nauseous. Amazing how ones tastes change. That would be one of the last things on earth I would choose to eat now. Blech.

I made some excellent zucchini cutlets or I guess you could call them, fritters just today. Yummy. Lots of egg whites, zucchini, mushrooms, onions, salt and pepper. I browned it with a little cooking spray on top of the stove using a griddle. They were SO good.

All right-y then. Experiment done and over with. Plod on. :smug:

Alana in Canada 06-30-2009 12:00 AM

Robin--how exactly did you cook that? It sounds so yummy--but I've no experience with fritters of any kind--I can't figure out how you assembled the above ingredients.

Rosinante 06-30-2009 06:06 AM

lesson learned. I very rarely fry but do, very very very very very occasionally have a fried thing when out. Actually, can't think of the last time I did but I'd liked to think I could. At 500 calories for the oil alone, I so won't bother.

However (another tmi alert) thanks to all that oil and all those veggies, I'm down another half pound. Ace.

rockinrobin 06-30-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alana in Canada (Post 2806096)
Robin--how exactly did you cook that? It sounds so yummy--but I've no experience with fritters of any kind--I can't figure out how you assembled the above ingredients.

I took four medium zucchiini, shredded them - squeezed out all the water. Added 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1/2 of an onion finely chopped, 1 can drained mushroom slices, 1/2 - 3/4 cup cup whole wheat flour, some salt, pepper & onion powder and mixed it all up. I heated my griddle, sprayed it finely with cooking spray. I like them big and thick, so I take about 3/4 - 1 cup of the mixture per "cutlet" and "fried" it till they were brown - about 15 minutes - flipped them over carefully and "fried" it for another 10 minutes or so, till they were nice and browned. YUMMY.

I made them last week using frozen chopped spinach. Used 2 boxes. Thawed them, squeezed out the water and added basically the same other ingredients as above.

I served them with soup and a salad. Nice meal. :T We've even used the leftovers for breakfast.

time2lose 06-30-2009 08:22 AM

Ailidh,

Just for clarity, I did not mean to criticize you. It is obvious that you do not have, or did not have, the problem that I did with fried foods. We are all different and have our own issues.

I think my issue with fried foods came from growing up in the southeastern USA. You may have a food issue with some food common in the UK that I am not even familiar with. The region of the country or world that we live in definitely has an influence on our eating habits. Years ago I thought that I started cooking healthy when I changed from frying with lard to frying with vegetable oil. It was an improvement but still was very bad.

Cheers - I am unusually happy for some reason this morning. :)

Windchime 06-30-2009 08:47 AM

My mom used to make fried chicken on Sunday's. She would melt about a cup of Crisco in a pan, coat the chicken with flour, and fry a whole pile of it. Then she'd make gravy, using a lot of the fat left in the pan. THEN we would have cake for dessert! It's a wonder we weren't all obese, but we were thin. Probably because we were young and we had a ranch so we all worked like the dickens. But the thought of that big glob of shortening melting in the pan is kind of funny now.

I like fried food. I envy people who get nauseus at thinking of it; I still like it. I had a chicken wing from KFC the other night that was pretty darn good.

VickieLou 06-30-2009 08:58 AM

Oven Fried with cooking spray

Hi Aidlidh have you every tried to oven fry with cooking spray? It's good with chicken. I haven't tried any fish yet. But it would save alot of calories.

rowan108 06-30-2009 12:04 PM

my finance is a huge frier. He makes the best fried chicken but I try not to eat it. He also takes the french fries (the frozen ones) and fries those...