Old 06-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #1  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Default Is it enough?

I'm finding that I'm really slowing down when it comes to exercise. I have tried to switch it up, but I'm wondering if maybe I need to re-adjust to a more realistic schedule.

Out of the gate was great, but I feel like I just can't imagine keeping up this pace -- sometimes more than 1.5 hours of walking, stairs and weights a day. I know that might be standard for some, but I get so overwhelmed now with what I have to do, I'm using it as a reason to do nothing at all. And I don't want that.

So I was thinking: 3 days/week cardio (walking and 471 stairs) then a 20 minute DVD and 20 more for weights 2 days/week. Does this sound reasonable or is it too little? What's everyone's exercise schedule like?
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM   #2  
Searching

I am going to ask you a different question?

Do you like what you're doing? Because that makes the difference. I get bored easily and I can't imagine keeping a pace of 1.5 hours a day forever plus with all that you could overtrain.

Personally I break things up and do things that I love and add different things. I walk, I bike, I will add back in strength training eventually, and of course there is always Yoga. I shoot for about 5-6 hours a week of exercise with lots of flexibility and options.

Remember we want to lose weight, but its a journey, slow down and figure how to make a change that will stick and you will enjoy rather than the flash in the pan thing for the next 5 min. (Plus have some fun! I am thinking about signing up for dance again )
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 PM   #3  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

I agree with rochemist. You have to like what you're doing. I am NOT fan of traditional exercise (walking, jogging, gym, etc)...But put me in a pool or let me play something like volleyball or softball, and I am going full throttle without even realizing it. I played volleyball Saturday night and I am still sore lol.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochemist View Post
Do you like what you're doing? Because that makes the difference. I get bored easily and I can't imagine keeping a pace of 1.5 hours a day forever plus with all that you could overtrain.
You know, it's OK. Sometimes I really enjoy it, other days it's a push. But that's why I didn't want to be forcing myself to do it at an unreasonable pace because I don't want to hate any of it. I just don't want to do it this much. I do want it to be sustainable.

I'm usually around 1.5 hours a day 2-3 times a week (less lately) and anywhere between 40 minutes and an hour other days. Usually works out to 3-4 days a week of exercise. And I'm concerned if I drop I'm just being too lazy to get off my butt -- and I already did that for years!!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #5  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

You don't have to do it that much if it's something you are being burnt out on. I have dropped down my time to vary between 30-60mins 5 days a week. My lower minute days are usually more intense though. If I do any more than an hour then it becomes less enjoyable to me.

Heck there are plenty things out there that you could substitute, have fun and burn what you need....just figure out what you want to try and then try it If you don't like it move on to the next thing on your list!
My new favorite? Water Skiing It takes a lot more to stay up than I thought! lol
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #6  
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickiegirl View Post
You know, it's OK. Sometimes I really enjoy it, other days it's a push. But that's why I didn't want to be forcing myself to do it at an unreasonable pace because I don't want to hate any of it. I just don't want to do it this much. I do want it to be sustainable.

I'm usually around 1.5 hours a day 2-3 times a week (less lately) and anywhere between 40 minutes and an hour other days. Usually works out to 3-4 days a week of exercise. And I'm concerned if I drop I'm just being too lazy to get off my butt -- and I already did that for years!!
I always find that something will get me off my butt again. In California it was surfing and the beach. And you already know that you can feel better. For me in my old age my knees keep me moving, every pound I lose is 4 lbs less shearing pressure so I can keep surfing, walking, biking, and dancing. Your not lazy, you're just not convinced enough.....Yet
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote