How do you become less sedentary?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi,

I do exercise regularly (four or five days a week) but I feel like I'm a lazy slug the rest of the time. I'm a student, so I am sitting a lot to study. I also love to read, so of course I sit to do that, too.

How do you get yourself to be more active during the day? I've never been a high energy person anyway, but the extra weight is slowing me down even more.

I like to exercise alone, and am not an "outdoor" or " sports" person. Any ideas for more activity?

Also, for those of you who have lost a lot of weight, did it help a lot with your energy level? I'm hypothyroid, so I'm tired a lot anyway, even when my medication is the correct dosage.

Sorry for my rambling, and thanks for any help.

Sherry
  • Hi there!
    To increase your overall activity, as a student, walking would be PERFECT for you. Either park a good distance from your educational facility or get off public transport 3 or 4 stops early.

You also might try ditching your car if you can -- bike to get groceries. Because you can't carry so much, you may have to grocery shop using your bike every day. Which would be GREAT!

You can take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator all the time. This is great if you spend time in the library, because you can use the stairs between floors. In fact, you can take stairs breaks during your evening studies to get some activity in.

When you go for lunch on campus, pick the food service area the furthest away from where you are. Less convenience = more walking in your day.

Try pacing while you are reading, for say 10 minutes at a time. This helped me when studying -- pacing and thinking and repeating my study notes helped the info sink in, for some reason.

These may sound kind of silly, but all little actions will add up. And keep up with your regular exercise!!! You are doing awesomely well!!!

Kira
  • Get a kitchen timer and set it for 15 or 20 mins. When it goes off, get up. Walk around the house (or apartment), go up or down the stairs. Just do something. I know as a student you need to study, but I've seen more than one reference that tells you to take a 2-3 min break every 20 mins. Take that time to get up, move around, etc.
  • Thank you both so much for responding. I should have said that my classes are all online, so I'm at home and not at a college campus. I know I would get a lot more walking done if I were on a campus.

Thank you,
    Sherry
  • You kind of just fit it in. I will often fit in a walking break at work. Our home has stairs so I go up and down them quite a bit. In the basement, I have my home gym but I have kettlebells down there and if I let the dogs out, I'll usually do a few kettlebell swings as I'm waiting for them to do their business.
  • YIKES!!! So my post was totally out to lunch!!!

So sorry about that!!!

Kira
  • Kira,

Please don't apologzie-you had great ideas! I really appreciate them. I'll use them when I'm out working again. I can actually apply some of them now.

Take care,
    Sherry

• Kira
  • I understand what you are going through. I sit at a desk all day and have a similar problem.

I started with 15 minute walks. I try to get one in first thing in the morning but even if I don't, I can take one mid morning. I then take another 15 minute walk after lunch. I usually get another in either in the middle of the afternoon or in the evening. It is not hard to get an hour of walking in this way. Break it up.

Quote:
    Also, for those of you who have lost a lot of weight, did it help a lot with your energy level?
    I can't believe how much more energy I have after losing this much weight. I am sure that my exercise and better eating habits are a big part of that too. I can't wait to see how much energy I have after losing another 50 pounds.

Just start moving... you will get more energy!
  • I'm a tv watcher to be sure - i turn it on at about 7 pm and it stays on til bedtime at 1130 or so. EVERY commercial break (if i don't have to pee lol) is a chance to do a quick something. I usually jump up right away and go get a drink of water, or take a dish to the kitchen, run down and get some laundry, dust a piece of furniture - sounds stupid LOL but i have to say I have a spotless house and it's not all done in one go, it's little bits here and there constantly. I even get up during commercial breaks and go to each room of the house (1 commercial each) and grab the trash bin and take it downstairs to empty and run it back up stairs - it's kind of a crazy game!
  • Trazey, that's a really great idea!

Thanks!
    Sherry
  • I think I would suggest standing at the kitchen counter to study sometimes. I think mentally once you're in a chair it's just hard to get up. Whereas if you spend a little time doing the same activity standing up you're more likely to move around, and at least you're not sitting!

Also, even though you may not like it as much, you might try listening to books on tape while walking. I personally prefer to read than to listen, but it would help get you moving
  • Quote: I'm a tv watcher to be sure - i turn it on at about 7 pm and it stays on til bedtime at 1130 or so. EVERY commercial break (if i don't have to pee lol) is a chance to do a quick something. I usually jump up right away and go get a drink of water, or take a dish to the kitchen, run down and get some laundry, dust a piece of furniture - sounds stupid LOL but i have to say I have a spotless house and it's not all done in one go, it's little bits here and there constantly. I even get up during commercial breaks and go to each room of the house (1 commercial each) and grab the trash bin and take it downstairs to empty and run it back up stairs - it's kind of a crazy game!
    Trazey, this is EXACTLY, EXACTLY what I did the year I was losing. I mean exactly - even down to taking out the trash. Though, I didn't watch as much TV as you. I snuck in activity at every opportunity.

Another couple of crazy things I did -

Every time after I went to the bathroom, which was a lot with all that I was drinking, I would jog in place for about 2 minutes.

When I was in the kitchen, cutting up all those veggies, I'd stop in the middle, crank up the radio and dance my fool head off for 3 - 5 minutes. I did this many times through out the day.

I stopped using a laundry basket. I pile it up and carry it there. Therefore I have to make several trips to load up the machine.
  • sounds like you got some really good ideas from these posts. as someone else said, in the evenings if i'm reading or watching t.v, i also get up every so often (or during commercials) and just move around my home doing some small task. i used to think i was the only one who did this, and also that it didn't make much of a difference, but i have found that every little bit really does help. good luck, and thanks for the topic!
  • I do weird things to get moving too - I was waiting for the oven to preheat one night this week and found myself doing calf raises and counter pushups. I'll stand up and do a tabata set of squats on a commercial or as a pause when I'm reading, something like that would work well as a study break! I jog in place while waiting to the next time to stir when I'm cooking sometimes, like Robin did. I also walk around the house briskly, though I should be cleaning while I go like Tracey!

There are always ways to get moving - every little bit helps! And, the energy level will definitely increase over time! Good luck sweetie!