exercise as an appetite suppressant?

• So...I've noticed over the past week since I've been exercising regularly that I don't have as much of an appetite. Is that odd, or is it normal?
  • I'd say it's normal, cause it happens to me as well.
  • Normal.

I can't remember why, but there is science behind it. I googled. Here's a report by the American Physiological Society on a study done in the UK and published in their journal.

http://www.the-aps.org/press/journal/08/41.htm
  • ^^Glad to read that it's not all psychological! Thanks for the link, Alana!
  • My theory was that my body had realised that I might ask it to exercise at anytime, and as exercising when completely stuffed is no fun, my body stopped me eating before I got too full.
  • Normal for me anyway. Although I'm still experimenting with the right amount to eat before a gym visit. I know not to eat too much too soon but sometimes struggle if I haven't eaten enough.
    Walking though - a big, long walk and it really kills the hunger!
  • I don't know. For me, exercising depletes me of "fuel" not energy. So after a really vigorous workout I will be VERY hungry. My body is screaming at me "Feed Me Semore." To my defense though, I workout out very, very early in the mornings so my "official" breakfast (not to include pre or post workout fuel) is an hour and a half after my workout.
  • I would have a hard time working out first thing in the morning without any fuel. I need to eat within an hour of waking up. So when I was getting up early for exercise, I would eat a string cheese or a bit of cottage cheese for slow protein while I walked/jogged, then come back for the rest of my breakie.
  • Yep it happens to me, too. I try not to eat before I workout and usually I don't eat much after.
  • after a workout I can feel really hungry. but last night, when I felt like eating (like a mild hunger), I exercised and it went away. I have that happen when I drink water too, and I've heard that sometimes thirst can feel like hunger.
  • It is for me too The only time I get hungry after exercise is if I up my intensity but then I usually eat a healthy snack and I'm good to go!
  • I usually workout early in the morning. I don't eat before and not until an hour or so after. Like you, I don't seem to get hungry during my workouts. Whatever works for you though.

I do notice that I get very hungry when I do water activities for an extended period. If I have eaten just a light salad for lunch I find I start getting that "hollow" feeling weird thing. So I always make sure I have packed some protein for when it happens.
  • This is why I walk before lunch, so my 350-450 cal feels like alot of food!
  • I used to eat breakfast before my workout and my appetite was nicely suppressed until lunchtime. Now, I exercise before eating and I'm starving when I get back home.