Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 11:28 AM   #1  

Question Need some advice

I know this is kinda off the subject of weight loss, but I value all of your advice.

I have been trying to get a job, but with little to no experience in anything, it's been hard to find one that pays enough money to even cover daycare. So I came up with an idea for some extra money and want to run it by you all.

I have been into scrapbooking for 4+ years and love it. I was thinking about posting some flyers and an add in the paper for all the people who love the look of a scrapbook but either don't have the time to do one, or don't like the way they do there own. I would do there scrapbook for them. They could pick out the paper colors, album, and then give me the pictures and I could do all the work for them. It took me about a week to get my father and stepmothers wedding scrapbook done and EVERYONE who has seen it loves it. Being that they would pick out the papers and design, there scrapbook would be talored to them.

This would allow me to do something I love and stay at home with my children. So what do you think? Do you think this would work, or do you think it would be a waste of my time? Please be honest, I won't get mad, lol.

Thanks for the help,
Bella23
Old 06-21-2002, 01:00 PM   #2  
Losin It For GOOD!

OOOO that sounds like a GREAT idea

OR become a Creative Memories consultant? Or teach scrapbooking classes?? or ALL of the above!
Old 06-21-2002, 01:16 PM   #3  

I did the creative memories thing and it didn't work, I spend a good deal of money on it and then all the craft stores came out with the same thing cheeper. It became very hard to sell it.

I want to be able to do it at home anyway, and creative memories would mean I would have to find a babysitter.

Bella23

But I'm glad you think it's a good idea, lol
Old 06-21-2002, 02:24 PM   #4  
Zap
Fat Zappin' in Progress

I think it's a great idea.. besides what do you have to lose? Go for it
Old 06-21-2002, 02:28 PM   #5  

As someone with boxes and boxes of pictures and such that I just can't seem to get into a book, I think it's a great idea!
Old 06-21-2002, 02:43 PM   #6  

It would be nice to have someone to do my pics and stuff for me. I'm years behind. I bought a scrapbook kit for my granddaughter and had fun doing a few pages to start her off.

But (and isn't there always one?) you have to be able to make a satisfactory wage doing it. Can you estimate the hours you put in doing the wedding scrapbook? Then, using what you think is the rate you'd like to be paid, figure what you'd have to charge someone to do a scrapbook (or on a per page basis). Then figure would you be willing to pay someone what that would cost. And how many people do you know who'd be willing to pay that much for the service?

Because you'd be doing it from home, thereby saving day care, and because hopefully you'd love doing it, maybe you can do it for a reasonable rate. But be sure to be fair to you in figuring out the rate. After a while you won't enjoy it as much if you're doing it just for the love of it.

Sounds like you really have the thinking cap on though about alternates to outside work. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2002, 03:07 PM   #7  

Yes, I agree, the thinking cap is certainly on working. I personally think this is a very good idea.

You may not bring home alot of money at first, but you never know. You must keep that in mind. But countless people have began doing something small from home, on the side never thinking it would take off. There is no reason why this couldn't.

I would begin just by making up some flyers and placing them in places where "busy" people would see them. Dry Cleaners would be a really good spot too and maybe where people drop off the film to be developed. See what happens. You may get alot of calls or you may get afew. This way your not putting any money into it yet. If you receive some calls from those who are really interested. Speak to them over the phone, get an idea of what they would like and then go shopping for materials. This way your not throwing money out the window.

I know many people who love scrapbooking. I know many people who do it and those who are envious, me being one of them. But there are also people who have "heard" about it but not too familiar with it. Maybe you can take any materials you have now and make a "sample".

Good luck and remember, if this is something that you love to do and even though it won't make you millions, you never know where it could lead you. And if you do get some clients, you can have business cards made up and leave them everywhere.

Once I get settled, I will begin my floral designing too. I am even thinking about getting into flea markets. Always something I wanted to try, life is too short not to.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:53 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

What would you have to lose? nothing.. only gain!

sounds like fun!!

you have all the tools.. you have sample books...
what more do you need?

just curious.. how much would you charge? it take forever to do my own - I would never be caught up to work on someone else's.

what about just 1 scrapbook page.. one that people can hang on the wall. I subscribe to a scrapping magazine and there is this new product made just for that...
it's called scrap-book frames by pageframe designs
their web site is www.scrapbookframe.com

Good Luck Bella!!

Dana
a fellow scrapper!
Old 06-21-2002, 05:14 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I think it is a great idea too but I am also concerned about what you would charge for that to make it worthwhile. I am one of those people who won't pay for something that I could do myself (regardless of whether I actually ever do it or not). I could see the wedding type book being something that would be more popular and people willing to pay for rather than 10 years worth of family pictures.
Old 06-21-2002, 06:13 PM   #10  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I think it's a great idea! You could also place your flyer at reception halls...you'd probably get a lot of business from golden wedding anniversaries and the like.

Jennelle
Old 06-21-2002, 06:45 PM   #11  

Thank all of you for your advice. I have been serching the web and found a chat group for people that do what I want to do. They gave me great ideas like to put sample albums in dentist offices, the photo shops, wedding dress stores, etc. I can't wait. I am going to go out and get some simple supplies and do a couple small sample albums with both simple pages and very done up pages. We'll see.

Hopefully I have found something that will work.

Bella23
Old 06-21-2002, 07:34 PM   #12  
Getting healthier daily!!

Default Job Suggestion......

I saw an article in the Chicago Tribune a while back that described people who run errands for other people. You know, go to the cleaners, pick up the kids, take kids to the orthodontist, make dinner reservations, get the cars washed, buying presents (with their money, of course), wrapping gifts, etc., etc.

According to the article, these people make great money. You have to be very organized and able to actually do all the things people might request. But otherwise, it sounds like a lot of fun.

I've forgotten what they called themselves but one could surely come up with something catchy.

Hope you don't mind my jumping in here....
Best wishes.
Old 06-21-2002, 09:50 PM   #13  

I have heard of them as well. But the ONLY thing I would be doing for the people is their scrapbooks. I don't want to do anything else, lol.

Bella23
Old 06-21-2002, 10:34 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

Default another thought...

bella.. LOVE the idea...

and here's a different look at it.

let's say the local library has a craft show fundraiser. maybe you could get them to pay for a memory book of the event [they always take pcitures of these things and often get newspaper coverage].

and the club would have bought one [at least] from you to keep as a record of the event, the entire club would see it [and love it] and maybe several people would want one of their own.

but more important, all these people would oooh and aaahhh at your work, and remember you for their own special occasions [someone mentioned golden anniversaries], like first communions, confirmations, bar/bas mitzvahs, baby showers, wedding showers, family reunions, and on and on and on.

it's important when starting a business that you get your message [always couched in terms of 'what i can do for you' not in terms of 'i need the work so you should hire me'] to as many people as possible as cheaply and quickly as possible.

go get 'em tiger!!!! you have a real gift, so go use it!!
Old 06-22-2002, 09:53 PM   #15  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

This is a SUPER idea! I've made a few scrapbooks in my life, and want to make more, but now I'm so behind ~ all I have is a huge stack of pictures and momentos! I can't seem to sit down and start because I have trouble making decisions about what I want to go where, etc.

I bet busy new moms would love it! Maybe you could make up some business cards on the computer, and then spread them around town ~ you could ask permission to leave them at baby clothing stores, etc.

Best wishes to you always!!! Blessings, irishwings
Closed Thread