Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #16  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I'm an avid listener to Jillian Michaels, and she discourages carbs within 2-3 hours of bed. Her explanation (and I've not done any research on this to back it up, so I'll just be explaining her opinion) is that HGH (human growth hormone), which is released while we sleep and is a hormone that encourages muscle growth and fat loss, is released at a slower rate when the level of insulin in the blood is higher. So if you eat carbs right before bed, your insulin goes up right before bed, and while you're sleeping, the release of HGH is inhibited.

I do know that HGH release overnight is one of the things that influences fat loss (it doesn't release as well under stress, either, which is why stress can be a factor in weight loss), but haven't thoroughly researched the insulin-HGH link.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #17  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
I do know that HGH release overnight is one of the things that influences fat loss
Aaaah--so that's why sleep is important to weight loss. I'd read that it was, but had forgotten why. Good to know.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #18  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

I stopped after hearing Jillian Michaels talk about it in her podcasts too. I was actually surprised at how easy it was, and it resulted in a ~200cal reduction in my evening meal, which has made it much easier to stay within my calorie allowance for the day.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:32 AM   #19  

Height: 5ft6'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
is that HGH (human growth hormone), which is released while we sleep and is a hormone that encourages muscle growth and fat loss, is released at a slower rate when the level of insulin in the blood is higher. So if you eat carbs right before bed, your insulin goes up right before bed, and while you're sleeping, the release of HGH is inhibited.

HGH link.
That's a useful tidbit right there. I had heard something like that before but had forgotten it. I knew eating at night was frowned upon but didn't know why. I like to know the reasoning behind things. Night time eating was a huge problem for me.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:06 AM   #20  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

There's another whole school of thought (championed by the books Potatoes not Prozac, and The Feel-Good Diet), that suggests that if you are eating a mostly lower-carb, higher-protein diet it will raise your tryptophan (which you get from protein). Then, if you have a small complex-carbohydrate snack right before bed, without protein, it will fuel the process that increases seratonin from the tryptophan. (If you eat protein with the carb, it inhibits the making of seratonin).

Seratonin is your "feel-good" hormone, and many people, especially dieters, are low on it.

So you may actually WANT to include a small carb snack into your night-time plan... depends on what your goals are and what works for you. So I sometimes eat a few Triscuits or Ak-Mak crackers before bed.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
There's another whole school of thought (championed by the books Potatoes not Prozac, and The Feel-Good Diet), that suggests that if you are eating a mostly lower-carb, higher-protein diet it will raise your tryptophan (which you get from protein). Then, if you have a small complex-carbohydrate snack right before bed, without protein, it will fuel the process that increases seratonin from the tryptophan. (If you eat protein with the carb, it inhibits the making of seratonin).

Seratonin is your "feel-good" hormone, and many people, especially dieters, are low on it.
I read something about that last weekend, but not enough to figure out what I thought of it. Can't remember what book it was.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 06-12-2009 at 11:48 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:34 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 301 / 298 / 175

Height: 5'5

Ive been limiting carbs in the evening as well. Not so much for added weight loss but primarily to keep the cravings at bay. If I have pasta for dinner then I'm libel to drive down to McDonalds at midnight for a milkshake. Carbs are a powerful late night craving trigger for me.

This information is very helpful. My biggest issue is planning sides for dinner without carbs. Do you just do double veggies in place of a baked potato or brown rice?
AtlGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGirl View Post
This information is very helpful. My biggest issue is planning sides for dinner without carbs. Do you just do double veggies in place of a baked potato or brown rice?
Yup!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #24  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlGirl View Post
My biggest issue is planning sides for dinner without carbs. Do you just do double veggies in place of a baked potato or brown rice?
I have found that I can't have grain or potato... but I can tolerate peans and beans as a side dish. They have more carbs than most veggies, but they also have tremendous fiber. So instead of veg and potato, I'll have veg and green peas, or veg and lentil salad, or veg and black beans.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #25  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

MugCanDoIt-
Funny you should bring carb timing up.

I just came back from the hair salon & was reading an article about Roger Troy Wilson's book - LET'S DO LUNCH - which is the premise of his book.

Supposedly there are some scientific reasons why people who eat the majority of their carbs & biggest meal at lunch lose much more weight than people who eat carbs at night or have a large dinner.

Turns out the body processes carbs differently at different times of the day. Has to do with circadian rhythm. Might want to Google it if you are interested.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #26  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by susiemartin View Post
MugCanDoIt-
Funny you should bring carb timing up.

I just came back from the hair salon & was reading an article about Roger Troy Wilson's book - LET'S DO LUNCH - which is the premise of his book.

Supposedly there are some scientific reasons why people who eat the majority of their carbs & biggest meal at lunch lose much more weight than people who eat carbs at night or have a large dinner.

Turns out the body processes carbs differently at different times of the day. Has to do with circadian rhythm. Might want to Google it if you are interested.
Hmmm...Ijust might do that, thanks! I think Im gonna stay away from my low carb bread after supper now. I'll just stick to my 3 carb yogurt cups. Gotta do something to speed this process up....Im working my butt off and its going too slowly!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:05 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

I have now imposed a "carb curfew" and it works for me!

I have done so, so many different things to try to lose weight but I never stuck with anything because the cravings just got the better of me! Now I am controlling my blood sugar (which includes carb curfew at night) and I do not crave. I`m finally losing weight!!

The no carb at dinner time helps me in two ways: firstly, all that`s said above about insulin and HGH. But also (and a biggie for me) - it means that I don`t take that first bite of the things which will cause me to binge on them. These are always carby things. I now just don`t have them at night. (During the day I tolerate them better although I try not to have them too often)

It really works for me and I am extatic about having lost 12 lb already!

Stella
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #28  
model wannabe

S/C/G: 230/230/130

Height: 171 cms

i haven't tried it but i beleive in calorie counting more .Also i sleep @ 6 a:m so i actually burn it all up before bedtime.i usually dont eat 3 to 5 hours before bedtime.
looloo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 05:17 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by looloo86 View Post
i haven't tried it but i beleive in calorie counting more .Also i sleep @ 6 a:m so i actually burn it all up before bedtime.i usually dont eat 3 to 5 hours before bedtime.
Well, yes - no regime in the entire world will work if you eat too many calories...

But I feel that less carbs keep hunger at bay so it helps me not to eat too many calories...
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:06 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

A while ago I asked this question of my friend who is a registered dietician & nutritionist and she said that a calorie is a calorie. She told me that calories in plus movement equals a weight loss, gain, or maintainence. She said when you eat what doesn't matter for weight loss - however, if eating a certain food is a trigger food than it can lead to extra eating. Only you can figure it out for yourself.

She also said that certain people do better with more protein in the morning or evening. She said it doesn't matter for weight loss as much as blood sugar and energy.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote