Old 06-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default I'm an idiot....

Since my last post I've been scouring web sites looking for recipes and trying to convert the grams of fat, carbs and protein into "exchanges" so I'd know WHAT I"D BE EATING!!! (and how it all fits into my eating plan.)

(My plan is fantastic if you grill a chicken breast, add a side of rice and a bunch of green beans--and that's basically how I learned to cook a gajillion years ago when I first used a portion control/exchange plan. It's also good with diabetic cookbooks--of which my library has only a few, unfortunately.)

I was getting a wee bit frustrated, not being a nutritionist and trying to make sense of it all.

Then for some reason, I turned to my Leanne Ely cookbooks. (of Flylady fame). I love her recipes--I've been using them consistently for the last three to five years or so.

And guess what? She has broken down the recipes into exchanges! She's already done it! It's right here. (and of course I'd never noticed.)

This is not going to be as hard as I thought--and man, am I jazzed. I just had to share.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

It's wonderful when you find something from your "old life" that fits in your new one!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Oo, I didn't know Flylady had done recipes!!

I used to be a baby-stepper but stopped getting the emails because of the time delay/difference in them getting to the UK, couldn't get my head round opening an email to be told I had to go to bed! but it's thanks to her I nearly always have a shiny sink!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #4  
Starting over

CC--can I call you that--thank you for the acknowledgment!

Oh good for you, Ailidh! I still struggle with the shiny sink! But back when I did do "flylady" she had her friend nutitionist Leanne Ely prepare menu-mailers for the flybabies. She'd do up a week of menus--usually during fling boogies--so you wouldn't have to think about that. Her cookbooks are organized by season--with seven weeks of menus in each one. There's a shopping list at the start of each week. Ely and Cilley (flylady) have done a whole weightloss book--I actually have it. It focuses 99% on emotional eating.

I hop around, of course. But I do have a "master" shopping list on the computer which I print off once a month for my Big Shop.

I'm sorry about the time difference. I'd love to chat--but I really must get some shut eye.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 06-07-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

I've found a couple of good places to find recipes online that already have the exchanges for the recipes.

Diabetic Gourmet
http://diabeticgourmet.com/recipes/

Favorite exchanges recipes (links to lots of other recipe places)
http://home.earthlink.net/~ruthbond/...terecipes.html
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #6  
Starting over

Synger--thank you!

I love trying new things, so this is very, very welcome.