Old 06-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #1  

Default Anxiety Overload

I am so new to this. I have over 100 pounds to lose and I am freaking out about extra skin. Can people tell me about successful surgery options? I know I can lose the weight, but I don't want to look like a deflated balloon.

* Please don't share how bad it is if you have it. I'm looking for support here...

Thanks, Tilly
tilly long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:10 PM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

DON'T. WORRY. ABOUT. IT.

Wait and see what happens. Some wind up having the excess skin removed. Others don't HAVE any excess skin. My mom lost 94lbs in a matter of months on an extreme diet at the age of 53 after having 3 kids and she had NO excess skin. My friend at age 33 lost 30 lbs over 6 months and got a tummy tuck because she had loose skin. You just never know.

So I personally would focus on losing the weight, wait six months for things to stabilize, then worry about it then.
I'm not meaning to brush you off! I'm just saying "first things first..." There will be plenty of time to become anxious later!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-04-2009 at 07:13 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:22 PM   #3  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

make sure you keep up a the exercise as opposed to just diet this should help to keep any extra skin should you get it to a minimum.

i lost 96lb a few years back in a little over 6 months and had no extra skin.
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 PM   #4  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

Weights. Drink H20. Lotion. And do you have lots of stretch marks?

Keep in mind that there is no real way (sans surgery) to get rid of stretch marks or the loose skin that results from them, but you can do all in your power to help what elasticity you have left. Surgery is always an option and we have a thread here where maintainers have had excess skin removed. I googled tummy tucks and checked out what it would mean to have my 'apron' removed when I reach goal, a serious surgery. Check it out, but hey, you may have excellent genetics and it may never be a problem- you won't know until later in your journey.

As for sharing how bad or bad it isn't, honesty is a part of support too.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #5  

Thank you all for writing and for the tips. I know it is all part of the journey but I was reading some stuff and it was freaking me out.

Reddalice, I understand that honesty is important. It just seems that in some threads, people don't respond with support, but with info that is not helpful to what is being asked.

I appreciate your time and attention.

Tilly
tilly long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:44 PM   #6  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

You just focus on getting healthy! That is within your control. Whether you end up with loose skin is NOT within your control, but the good news is it can be fixed.

Edit: It freaks me out a little too, but I've come to realize it's the price I pay for having gained the weight. But amazingly there are good things that came from it too. I have an empathy for others that I may not have developed had I not had struggled with my physical appearance. My sense of humor and personality have been developed to help me overcome some people's initial impressions. And I know what it's like to struggle for a lifetime with something - I think that has to help build character to keep trying at something that monumental!

Last edited by CLCSC145; 06-04-2009 at 09:20 PM.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:01 PM   #7  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I try not to think about it. It's something that is so overwhelming for me, it could turn into an excuse not to get this weight off.

Just do this a day at a time and try not to think about this. It's beyond your control and there are options if you need them.

PS:
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

Height: 5'6"

Tilly, I got to admit I was hesitant to write because of the off-putting qualifier. My mom lost 150 pounds and looks wonderful. I think a lot of it has to do with how fast you lose the weight and if you are toning while you do it. I only have lose skin around my breasts, but I am pretty sure that is mostly from how big my breasts were when I was nursing. I have lost almost 70 pounds and am sensitive about that area, but I look great with clothes on. I don't think I will ever be thrilled about how I look naked.

About the surgery, my mom had the gastric bypass and has never had any complications. I agree with above posters that it's just a matter of putting one foot ahead of the other. Good luck to you.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #9  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Well I am probably going to have 'bat wings', because my arms have always been crazy big. I lift a lot and I have great muscle tone, but I still have bat wings developing.

HOWEVER. Even if I can never afford the surgery (which is questionable) after I reach goal, I still look and more importantly, FEEL a thousand times better than I did when I was 125 pounds overweight. It's worth it, regardless of whatever extra skin you end up with.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #10  
back in the game

S/C/G: 311/180/170

Height: around 5'10"

I had a lower body lift surgery April 28 for loose skin. That's like a tummy tuck but it goes around the back also (ie lifts your butt and sides). I also had a breast augmentation because my boobs were very saggy. I will be going in to have some corrections done to it most likely, because my belly is still not what I want. But it is soo much improved from before and the experience has been totally worth it so far.

The "batwings" thing you speak of, yeah--I have it. I want more surgery, and I will get it.

But even if I didn't get it... I don't regret for one second losing the weight!!!! You will be so much better off *no matter what* you decide about surgery. When you're ready for all of the information we can give you, check out the "body issues after weight loss" forums. There I posted in detail about my recent surgery, and there is a very informative sticky post all about skin.
futuresurferchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 6"

I've often thought about surgery and it kind of scares me at how I'll look when this is all finished, because I know my skin is not going to snap back. But I'm no where close to goal and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. No sense in getting worked up about it now right.
Trazzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:43 AM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I lost 106lbs between 2002-2004, age 47-49, and didn't have loose skin. I didn't get quite to target either but certainly on the journey down my skin did pretty well at keeping up. It's also doing OK this, the last, time too.

I do understand your concern: I suspect I'll never have a bikiniable body and will probably never wear sleeveless tops but that's no different to now and all my life. I'd be too afraid to have surgery that wasn't essential to my health. Not knocking it At All, I've just got a weird mind that fears to tempt fate.

However, like the others have said, feeling healthier, looking a mile better in clothes is good enough for me.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:09 AM   #13  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

I would just worry about losing the weight first and worry about that later. I think I read somewhere on one of these threads that doctors make you wait 2 years anyway to make sure you keep the weight off.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I agree with everyone else, one step at a time seems the best.
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, loose skin really worried me at first too. But you can't think about it too much. That's far, far in the future. Concentrate on the now and your path.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote