Old 06-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 264/264/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Hello I'm new and just starting the attempt again

Hi. I"m 35, mother of one, with a skinny husband. I am making another attempt at getting healthy and losing weight. I'm a terrible stress and convience eater. I work a lot of hours which does not allow me time to cook, and hubby bless his hear can't cook. lol He is a stay at home dad, and we have been discussing what we need to do to make this work this time around, and he's behind it, although does not really have faith I feel. He has been told he needs to eat dinner before I get home from now on, as I plan to eat only fruits, vegies, or special K type things at dinner. Because I get home so late from work i.e. 5:30/6:00 I need to eat right away so I don't eat after 6 if at all possible. So Here we go. I will be taking before picture tonight so I can compare on this journey. I really really hope I can do it this time. My hobby is horses, we have 15, but I hate riding because I'm just to plain fat and I miss it. I used to be very good.

Current weight 263 I think. My stretch goal is 130lbs loss, my need to reach goal is 100lbs loss.

Have a good day everyone.
farmgirl931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #2  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Welcome to 3FC!! We're very glad you found us.

My husband is a stay-at-home right now, too. He tries to have dinner ready when I get home (around 5:30 - 6:00). He's not the best cook, but he's willing to try recipes, and I have a really simple old McCall's cookbook that he's been able to follow fairly easily. At first all he could cook was cheese souffle, hamburger gravy, sausage and kraut, and grilled burgers or steaks. Slowly he's expanded his repertoire. He's even learned to make brown rice in the rice cooker.

Now we're working on portion size, and including veg in the dinner.

You might want to look at recipes that you can cook up on the weekend, especially if he can help make them and get some experience and confidence in the kitchen.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #3  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

yay welcome aboard! hmmm fruit and special k doesn't sound like much fun to come home to Any chance of making big batches of something yummy and freezing it??? or freezing your portions at least?? It all depends what works for you, maybe you like your big meal in the morning! Me, I need something to look forward to LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #4  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Welcome to you! I hope you really like it here. There are loads of very supporting people to help you along.

There were a couple of things you mentioned that I wanted to ask about:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmgirl931 View Post
as I plan to eat only fruits, vegies, or special K type things at dinner. Because I get home so late from work i.e. 5:30/6:00 I need to eat right away so I don't eat after 6 if at all possible.
Is there a reason you only plan to eat fruits, vegetables, and Special K type things for dinner? There are so many wonderful things you can eat - and ENJOY - for dinner. I just wanted to make sure you are thinking loooong term. Is that how you want dinner to be forever? If not, I suggest adding a yummy protein like a piece of barbeque chicken or a salmon fillet or something. I would be sad if all I had to look forward to for dinner was Special K and some broccoli...

Remember: Losing weight shouldn't be a punishing experience! Consider it a learning and experimenting period where you acquire new healthy eating skills you are willing to do forever.

The other thing I wanted to ask about was not eating after 6PM. What's your though behind that? There are loads of successful "losers" who don't subscribe to the idea of avoiding eating after a certain hour. Again, losing weight doesn't require military precision and lots of restrictive rules. Doing so may help you lose weight, but it's hard to keep up such stringent behavior for the long haul - I know from personal experience!

Try looking at it as an adventure. It's an adventure where you are learning something new about yourself - how to have a happy and healthy relationship with food that leaves YOU happy and healthy too.

Anyway, I don't mean to be nit picking on your very first post, I just want you to be successful and not fall into the traps I've fallen into in the past! Good luck to you and welcome again!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #5  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Man: what a great motivation--to get back on your horses. How wonderful.

I'm just starting out, too. And I don't think I could do it without the ladies (and men) here. There's a lot of tried and true wisdom here!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #6  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Welcome to 3fcs!

I need to lose about 100 pounds more myself. This is a great place and we are all in this thing together.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #7  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Welcome! I would really recommend some cookbooks, and you both need to plan your meals and what you eat. I'm sure DH will help in the kitchen, and if you know WHAT you are eating, he can sort out the WHEN...
You can do it!
Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM   #8  

Hello! I am new to this. I have a thin, perfect looking husband, two thin children, and I live in the land of beautiful, healthy people. I am tired of sticking out like a sore thumb. Woe is me!!!

I have started on the Smash Diet and so far I have noticed:
1. I feel better
2. I sleep better
3. I'm not craving sweets or other junk
4. I need more flavor

I have not started working out yet, but I will start this Saturday. I wanted a week to adjust to the food changes.

My husband is not supportive. He's not mean, he just doesn't get food issues at all. He can and does eat whatever, whenever.

I need to lose over 100 pounds, so I am hoping for tips and support from anyone.

Thanks, Tilly
tilly long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #9  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

&
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #10  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I need to lose another 100 or so too so you are in the right boat!

Couple of things... fruit yogurt and special K are not my idea of a protein loaded, fill you up kind of meal. Perhaps making food ahead and preportioned in the freezer would be a good idea for you?

And eating after six... I ALWAYS have a night time snack. I plan for it and eat it. It's calories in/calories out over 24 hours that matter

Welcome to the club. You'll learn a lot here! I know I have
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 AM   #11  

Well I am definately open to any suggestions anyone has. The reason for fruits and veggies and special K is because it's simple, quick, easy, ready to go. My biggest problem besides stress eating is no time to prepare anything. I get up at 4 AM for work, and don't get home until about 5:30/6. When I get home we head over to the family farm to feed horses, goats, chickens, cats, etc. We usually get done in about half hour to hour depending on what horse is sick, injured, or needing some sort of special treatment. My husband does most of the physcial work, and I take care of my daughter unless my mom comes out then I'll help get horses in the stalls and spread hay. If we can get out of the farm without chatting forever we go get something to eat. The last several months we only eat out, because there is just no time to make anything. My daughter can't eat at 8 at night and it's close to that as it is. It will help if my husband can just take care of himself and our daughter and I will deal with myself when I get home. I have no time to cook or prepare food. Even weekends are crazy, with yard saleing, fixing fence, stalls, taking care of my daughter, visiting friends, running errands, horse shows, etc. There is just no time. So my diet needs to be extreamly easy to grab foods. Or I'll end up quiting. I can't take on any more stress than I already have, so trying to fit in making up meals is not possible for me at this time. The stress of eating less, and not filling foods it's going to be stressful enough, but having to find meals to prepare at this point is not an option for me. In the future I will when I get some sort of routine going I will try that. I have alot of things I'm fixing to change in my life, the diet/eating better is only one. When I become more organized I can look into making up more fun meals, but I just need to get started I don't want to wait any longer.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #12  

Oh and I had my Husband take my before pictures last night and OMG I thought I die, I'm a fat cow. I have no idea why he even bothers staying around.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:46 AM   #13  
One pound at a time...

to the forum! Something that is quick and works for me is to prepare an omlet the night before and re heat in the morning. I add lots of veggies and the eggs really fill me up. I am usually fine until lunchtime. For me, protein in the morning is what gets me through most of the day. to you!

Last edited by ChocLabLover; 06-04-2009 at 08:46 AM.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:58 AM   #14  

Okay I was gonna post a picture of my husband, I and my daughter from last weekend but it appears I need to post 25 times first. lol Gonna see if I can add it to my blog.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #15  
getting started AGAIN!

S/C/G: 255/246.5/180?

Height: 5'8"

Hi, welcome to the group! I'm liz... like many people here I am starting over for the zillionth time! I'm a lifetime WW member and had been going back to that program, but this time I decided to go the calorie-counting route and track via fitday.

Welcome!~
lizzyINPA is offline   Reply With Quote