Old 06-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #1  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

Default discouraged today

I can't seem to pull myself out of this alone. I lost 7 pounds in May. I ought to be happy with this, but it seems so little compared to what I need to lose. Seems like I put a lot of work into losing in May and this is the pathetic loss. I can't stand it and I can't seem to move on. I pigged out yesterday casue it seemed so hopeless. I pulled myself together and did 20 min on the exercise bike and drank a big cup of water before I went to bed last night, I thought I had beat the monster and would be ready to tackle things this morning. Instead I am sitting here nearly in tears becasue I can't even see the 30 pound loss I have and being at a healthy weight seems like I dream I can't ever obtain. I've been fat since the thrid grade. This spring I was diagnosed with diabetes, my blood sugar was wildly out of control along with my weight. I started right away to change things in my life, but I feel so frustrated and hopeless today.

Somebody throw me a life preserver, I'm about to sink!
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:43 AM   #2  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

You CAN do this. You have already done so much - 31 pounds - and you should feel really good about that.

It's hard not to get discouraged when there is so much to lose. I feel that too. But like so many have told me, set your mini-goals and give yourself non-food rewards when you reach them.

This is going to be a long journey, but it's not one you can't succeed on. Don't think so big. There is far to go, but there are lots of success to be enjoyed in the meantime.

As for not noticing, sometimes it just takes time. I'm sure there are differences even if they don't seem that dramatic at first. But it's still 31 pounds lost! Good for you!

Start fresh and OP plan today. You CAN do it!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Oh I do sympathiize.

1. Congratulations on what you've lost already.
2. At 7lbs a month you'd be at goal in under a year.
3. How are you losing the weight - are you eating enough?
4. Lots of people would kill for 7lbs in a month but
5. I know #4 just makes you want to hit me.

I keep posting about plodding, and while it seems a bit negative to some, I know, to me it's all any of us can do: not get ttoooo hung up on the speed of our progress just note it, and keep on going.

As Rrobin would say (oops if I get this wrong) - what's the alternative? However hard it is and how dispirited you feel, and I really, really do sympathize and empathize, the alternative is going back to eating crap and watching your weight and your health get really out of control.

Please accept a hug and prayers.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #4  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

You can and WILL do this I know it's hard. I really didn't notice any difference in myself until I lost about 40 pounds, neither did anyone else. Don't be hard on yourself, you're doing wonderfully!! Think of it this way, the months are going to go by anyway, why not have them go by with you losing? It's not a race either. Every day you maintain or lose is a victory. I have gained about 15 pounds back. I DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. This is life. It is not a linear journey. We all go up and down. What's important is that we catch ourselves and do something about it. I am now watching what I put in my mouth very closely. I know the weight will come off again.
Because you have diabetes, you have no choice but to get to a healthy weight and watch your carbs. Tell yourself you CAN DO IT and get on with it, girl!!
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:14 AM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Here's your life preserver!!! I know how you feel, because I just want this stupid weight OFF! NOW!!! And when it is slower than you want, well, it is just agonizing...
Just stick with it. In 3 more months, you'll really be glad that you did. Noone noticed my weight loss until I went from 244lbs to 190lbs, and today, at 179lbs, my DSIL-God-Love-Her hasn't said a thing.
Keep YOUR goal in mind. It feels great if others notice, but you ARE doing this for yourself, so as long as you keep positive and the long-term goal in mind, you'll get there...

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 279/236/140

Height: 5'4"

I know how you feel. I did lose 9 pounds this past month. It has been a roller coast one day up, next day down and then three days the same all month. I just focus on 25 lbs I have lost and keep going.

Hugs to you.
whispers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #7  

You've done good, 2bhealthy -- 31 pounds is nothing to sneeze at (and I am the kettle calling the pot) -- try carrying around three ten pound bags of flour to get a feel for it again. You really have done *something* -- you can do it, you are doing it, and you will do it. I can't see my loss either (I'm ascribing it to the "paper towel theory") but I know it's there -- though I still habitually start my weight with a "3-".

Think of it this way -- get past this "bump" and you are stronger for the next one -- you can do this.

Barb
Keillynsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

2be, I lost 7 lbs in May too! I'm thrilled with it. I know that I've had other months that I've lost 10 lbs, but that was not to be this time. As others have pointed out:

1. Very few noticed my weight loss until around 40 lbs down.
2. If you keep at it and stay on track you will be at a lower weight in the future rather than giving up and gaining the weight back.

I think that you need to be very good to yourself today. Maybe check out a good book from the library, a bubble bath, a long chat with a good friend, etc. Do something that you love to do, do it for yourself. If I kind of bummed, I take a long hot bath and jump into bed early. I always feel better the next morning. Hugs to you.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #9  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris313 View Post
Think of it this way, the months are going to go by anyway, why not have them go by with you losing?
Exactly.

You are doing very well. Your chances of keeping it off are better if you're not losing super fast. And remember, just changing the way you eat helps health problems like diabetes, while binging only makes it worse, especially if they're carby/sugary foods. We all have a lot to lose on this section of the forum, and we all lose it one pound at a time. Keep up the great work!!!
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

I believe all of this advice is really good, I can not say it better but would give you a hug if i could.
Scarlet
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Just wanted to pass on a hug, I don't think we can loss a lot of weight without having a good cry now and again, it's cleansing. Hang in just like the other ladies said. This is a journey through all the ups and downs of weight loss. And it's important to make the life long commitment to the change that way one month doesn't seem like such a big thing. If you eat properly and take care of yourself long term it will come off.

I am a big fan of measuring myself too, some months when only 5lbs come off but I lose five inches in my waist it really helps because 5lbs doesn't get me in that new dress but five inches sure do.

Ok, we've pulled up the wagon beside you, it's time to jump on.

Tummy
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #12  
no more hiding

S/C/G: 296/215/160

Height: 5' 5"

Thanks to everyone of you who posted! I am really thankful all the advice and hugs. I read through this thread several times today.

I am feeling a good bit better this evening. I was really tired today for some reason, so I took 2 naps. I did well with my eating and rode the exercise bike for 15 min. I tried to go walking, but I did not get far becasue it was so humid and I did not have enough water with me.

All in all the day went ok and I think I have my feet firmly planted in the wagon now.

Thanks for being there for me- I'm sure I would have sunk today without all the encouragement!!!
2behealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #13  

Height: 5'11"

Good girl! You hung in there! There have been times in the past where I've been tempted to say, "Forget it!" and go eat a bunch of junk, but when that happens we must remind ourselves--giving up and eating junk is what caused most of us to have to buy fat pants! So we must continue forward.

My rate of loss has been a measley 1.28 pounds per week. Sounds pretty slow and discouraging, huh. Until you realize that it has added up to 26.8 pounds since January. 1.28 pounds isn't noticeable, and maybe 7 isn't noticeable, either. Heck, sometimes 26.8 or even 31 isn't!

But soon, very soon, you're going to get a glimpse of yourself in the mirror and think, "Hey! I don't have a double chin!". One morning, you will wake up and realize that your work pants are feeling too big, or that you need to take your bra up a notch. It'll happen!

Stay strong!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:04 PM   #14  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

31 pounds is an amazing achievement! You see yourself everyday, its hard to see changes but it is there. Next time you are at the grocery store, pick a pound of flour and realize that you the equivalent of 31 of those things!

Its easy to get discouraged, but it doesn't happen overnight. Success is measured day to day and as someone else said, you have to set reasonable mini-goals along the way.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote